August!

Moderator: Malanee

Blush
TH Master

August!

Post by Blush »

I didn't read much while I was away, we were too busy. When we got home I read People We Meet On Vacation by Emily Henry. It was cute.

I am back to The Girls in the Garden.
Spudd
TH Master

Re: August!

Post by Spudd »

I finished "The Organized Mind". It was pretty interesting but also kind of boring.

Now I'm reading "Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro. I'm not very far into it yet.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finished Never look Away by Linwood Barclay. Ended up liking it almost as much as the previous 2. Now I'm reading Broken Promise by him, which is the first in a trilogy, but the series should have started with Never look Away, because it has the same main character. I don't understand why it's not included in the series. Anyway, this one's less compelling. I enjoy it while I'm reading, but I'm not dying to know what will happen. I still enjoy his style, though.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Girls in the Garden. Pretty good.

Next is East Coast Girls by Kerry Kletter.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished Broken Promise. Entertaining enough, but I was irritated that a lot of mysteries are not solved by the end of the book. Apparently you have to read the rest of the series for that. It's like a Netflix show.

I think I'm in the mood for the new Kristan Higgins.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I read Mary Jane by Jessica Anya Blau and it just sucked me in. I would generally say I don't like character driven books but I just got totally swept up in this one. I loved it.

I'm currently reading The Displacements by Bruce Holsinger but not very far in so I'm still deciding what I think of it.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

East Coast Girls was meh. I had to force myself to keep reading.

Now I am halfway through Daisy Jones & The Six. Love it so far.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished the new Kristan Higgins, Out of the Clear Blue Sky. Loved it.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I LOVED Daisy Jones and the Six.

Then I started The Candy House by Jennifer Egan. It is not grabbing me so I am giving up. Not sure what is next.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'm at 25% of Wish You Were Here by Jodi Picoult, but I'm finding it slow. Not sure I'll continue. Anyone read it? The main character goes to a remote island in Ecuador in the first days of the pandemic while her boyfriend, a doctor, stays in New York working. So you can imagine how the beginning is going. I'm finding it boring. We've all lived through it, we know how it went. But part of me wants to know how it ends. We'll see.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished Never Let Me Go (maybe not what it's called) by Kazuo Ishiguro (?). It was ok. It had great promise at the beginning but then it just kind of never went anywhere.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I gave up on Wish You Were Here, then went online to find a plot summary with spoilers. OMG, I'm so glad I gave it up.

I tried Never Let Me Go eons ago, but gave it up, Spudd. Loved the concept, found it super boring. I get bored easily, it seems.

Then I started like 3 or 4 books, nothing's grabbing me.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Summer of 69 by Elin Hilderbrand. It was good but the end was a little sappy/rah rah America for my taste.

Now I have State of Terror by Hilary Clinton and Louise Penny.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished State of Terror. Quite frightening!

Now I have The Dinner List by Rebecca Serle.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finished a book! :yay A short one, but still. Stephen King's Elevation. It was ok. Readable, but I was utterly unimpressed. If it's magical realism he was going for, Latin Americans do it much better.

I'm also half-assedly rereading Outlander (the first in the series) because I'd like to watch the Netflix series, so I need to read the books first so I can bitch about the series with propriety. I read the first one in 2005, thoroughly enjoyed it, then read the second one in 2010 and hated it. I think I thought it dragged too much? I don't remember. Anyway, if I can stick to rereading the first one, my plan is to read a plot summary of the second one and then go on to the third. But we'll see. I'm not much of a series reader. Also, I'd just like to point out - start of brag/ what a brave woman I was in my youth! I read those bitches in English without the benefit of a kindle dictionary or even a smart phone with a dictionary app! Not an easy endeavor for a non-native English speaker. It's one thing to read contemporary English, quite another to read weird Scottish dialects from the 1700s/ end of brag. Ah yes, that brave woman is gone. I'm rereading it in Portuguese.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I'm with you, Silvia. I also read the first one years ago and loved it, but then found the 2nd one to be a drag so I never continued past that. Apparently it's quite popular, our tour guide in Scotland kept yammering on about Outlander related things. My friend we were with actually did read all the books and watched the show so she was somewhat into it, but the rest of us were just clueless.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Yeah, let's hope the third one picks up! It has to at some point or she wouldn't have written 257 sequels, right?