Happy New Year! Whatcha readin? (Jan 07)

Moderator: Malanee

Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Happy New Year! Whatcha readin? (Jan 07)

Post by Lady Bug »

It's 2007! :crystal

I am reading Not Buying It by Judith Levine. It's a little slow to start, but I'm really interested in her experience of not buying anything other than necessities for a year. I may need to adopt some of her philosophies!
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I just started "Moon Palace" by Paul Auster. So far it's pretty good but I'm only in the first chapter still.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Just finishing up The Well of Lost Plots by Jasper Fforde, and feeling like starting the year off s-m-r-t by reading Anna Karenina (which hopefully has Oprah's stink off of it by now)
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I've just given up on Jane Austen's Emma. Waaay too slow-going. Sorry, Crystal, I hope we can still be friends ;)

I'm about to start Tears of the Giraffe by Alexander McCall Smith, the second in the series. I loved the first. I hope this is just as good.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Oh, really? Aww... :sadpanda

Don't listen to Silvia, anybody! ;)
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

Over my trip I read:

Zig, Zag, Zen
Lilith's Brood by Octavia Butler
Acorna - Anne McCaffrey
When Gravity Fails - Effinger

Currently reading:

The Little Friend by Donna Tartt

On my list:

A Wild Ride up the Cupboards - Bauer
Songs in ordinary time - Morris
Happiness is an inside job.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Are you enjoying The Little Friend, Ruth? I couldn't finish it. Bored me to tears. And I did like her other book.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished Queen of the Big Time by Adriana Trigiani. I love her characters.

Now I'm on a completely different track with The Boyfriend from Hell by Avery Corman. He wrote Kramer vs. Kramer. It's good; I've never read any of his stuff before.
Jamie
Me Not Post Much

Post by Jamie »

I just finished reading Perfect Match and The Pact both by Jodi Picoult. Next I have Salem Falls and Second Glance both also by Jodi Picoult. I got her newest book, The Tenth Circle for Christmas and had read My Sister's Keeper so I decided I would read all of her books. I really like her writing style. I also have Forever Odd by Dean Koontz.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'm reading Friends, Lovers, Chocolate by Alexander McCall Smith. I'm enjoying it so far.

I'm also reading a book of short stories by a Brazilian writer called Luís Fernando Verissimo. It hasn't been translated into English.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Jamie - I went through all of Jodi's books last year too. Funny, some are way better than others. My Sister's Keeper is still my favorite.

I"m reading the 2nd in the 1st Ladies Detective Agency (whatever) by Alexander McCall Smith. So far it's ok - very light.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished Which Brings me to You by Steve Almond (author of Candyfreak and Julianna Baggott. While I liked the premise (it's told through a series of letters between a man and woman) it just sort of left me cold.

Right now I'm listening to Mindless Eating: Why we eat more than we think by Brian Wansink. It is fascinating and I highly recommend it, either in book or audiobook format.

I also started Twins of Tribeca by Rachel Pine and on page 22 I'm ready to take it back to the library. The subject matter is light chicklit (celebrity crap--a young pr person has to deal with stuff) but the style of writing is BORING.
Korie
Mmm... posting

Post by Korie »

Just started Little Earthquakes.