How do you guys make so much time to read?

Moderator: Malanee

Jax
Saddle Basket

How do you guys make so much time to read?

Post by Jax »

I'm not a slow reader, but damn.

I am sure it's partly because I watch too much TV. :bag
"In heaven all the interesting people are missing." - Nietzsche
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Public transit helps. :bag

So does being underemployed. :bag And alone. :bag
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I'm with you, Jax.

I generally read one chapter a day, in bed, before sleep. Sometimes on weekends I'll read a bit outside of bed, but not usually.
Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

Well, I don't have a child or a social life - which helps. But, honestly, I read every chance I get. I read while I eat lunch, I read on breaks, I read after work and on weekends. I can sit down on Saturday morning and be done with a book that afternoon.
Happiness is an inside job.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Ruth, do you think we read so much because we don't have social lives, or we don't have social lives because we read too much? :paranoid
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I only read about 2 books a month. I don't know how some people (like Ruth) can finish a book in a few hours. I'm jealous!
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

I average about 4 books/month. I do read quite fast, but I also like to stop and mull and pontificate.

<--- nerdlinger :nerd

Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I am constantly trying to read. I read at the gym, on my lunch, when my boss is on a long phone call, at dinner, and before bed.
Jax
Saddle Basket

Post by Jax »

I knew at least one of you would answer in a self-deprecating way (Crystal! :nono), but I didn't mean it that way. You all got at the true answer I was looking for, which is that you obviously making reading a priority as far as leisure-time activities go. I used to do that when I was younger, but something about the constant excessive reading in law school beat some of that out of me.

I also think I have a hard time doing the "stop and start" kind of reading you guys do. I find going in and out of a story like that really frustrating, so I don't read when I don't have a more significant chunk of time. I envy you guys for being able to do that.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Unless I'm really engrossed in the story, it's hard for me to read more than 30 pages at once, or 20 minutes, whichever comes first. I get really fidgety.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Jax, I also dislike the "stop and start" thing. I do read while I'm eating if I'm alone, but I don't like reading for 5 or 10 minutes while I'm waiting for a student, for example. I find that really frustrating (I do take a book if I'm going to teach a notoriously late student, though).
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

I maintain that it's not self-deprecating if it's true. :dunno I also have seriously given thought to the fact that spending too much time in books has reduced my social skills. Again, not self-deprecating. :dunno
something about the constant excessive reading in law school beat some of that out of me.
See, and I took English so I *could* have constant excessive reading. :lol
I also think I have a hard time doing the "stop and start" kind of reading you guys do.
Have I mentioned I sometimes read up to 6 books simultaneously? :bag

Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

Crystal Meth wrote:Ruth, do you think we read so much because we don't have social lives, or we don't have social lives because we read too much? :paranoid
Probably a little of both. I mean, I've been known to turn down social events for a good book!
Happiness is an inside job.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Well, I prefer a good book to most people!
Jax
Saddle Basket

Post by Jax »

Crystal, I think the law school thing was that it was generally boring and I was forced to read a lot EVERY night and I associated a lot of stress and pressure with reading everyday. I am still working on undoing that feeling, and I've been out of school for 4 years.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

True. I had to read a lot too but at least I got to read literature instead of dry legal tracts.

Although don't tell me 600 pages of Middle English isn't enough to turn a person off reading. "He wolde twee aboote ye ladye faere" Yeah, fuck you Chaucer! :lol

Jax
Saddle Basket

Post by Jax »

At least Chaucer was a little dirty. :giggle
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

No no, he was baaaawdy :giggle

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I work 50 hour weeks, have a dh and a toddler and generally read 8-10 books a month. Its one of my favorite things to do so I just make time for it. My favorite vacation was a week alone with a stack of books. :)

I don't watch tv anymore - I just read. Although lately I've been really into watching house flipping shows so the books have suffered.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

You guys are inspirational. All throughout my childhood I was a voracious reader, like some of you are, but I really fell away from it sometime during high school or college. I've read a good 4-5 books now this summer, and it feels great! I was thinking that once school starts, I'm going to start rereading the entire Harry Potter series from start to finish. I'll do it on the bus to and from school, which will be a great.