It's October 1!

Moderator: Malanee

Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

It's October 1!

Post by Lady Bug »

Whatcha readin? :hyper

I am still reading Strapped: Why America's 20- and 30-Somethings Can't Get Ahead by Tamara Draut.

My next book will be A Piece of Cake by Cupcake Brown.

I am also gobbling up this month's Allure (the best of beauty issue)!

What about you?
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Hehe, you're reading a book on why 20-somethings can't get ahead, and also reading a magazine that basically tells you to go out and buy a bunch of makeup and clothes. Dichotomy much?

I just finished "Anne of Green Gables"... OMG, I cried so much during the last 20-30 pages or so. I was reading it on the plane, so that was embarassing. Such a good book! I just mooched the next 2 books in the series from bookmooch.com.

Now I'm reading some book about the making of "Lady in the Water". It's pretty interesting so far.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I'm reading Through a Glass Darkly by Karleen Koen. It's set in 18th century France and England.

I never thought I would be into historical fiction, but I'm loving this book. And it's long....which makes it even better.
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

Spudd wrote:Hehe, you're reading a book on why 20-somethings can't get ahead, and also reading a magazine that basically tells you to go out and buy a bunch of makeup and clothes. Dichotomy much?.
:paranoid

I so didn't even think of that. *lol*
Stacy
Assless Chaps

Post by Stacy »

Working my way through the Dune series, but this time in storyline chronological order. Before I have always done it in publish order. And DH just got me the last book in the series. I am waiting for a couple to come through on BookMooch and I will have the whole series! Some I have to check out of the library
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

I'm reading Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh.

And now, thanks to Spudd, I will dig out all of my LMM books for a reread...
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I just finished The Fifth Vial by Michael Palmer. If you like medical thrillers he does a good job.

I'm working on Twilight by Stephenie Meyer which is the first book in a teenage vampire series. I know, in my head I'm still 16.
Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

I'm currently reading "The Book Thief" and a sci fi book that for the life of me I can't remember the name of. I just read a book of poems by Mary Englbryte (sp?) that was quite good.

I have Boomsday on my list and some trashy thriller. Wheeee!
Happiness is an inside job.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Ruth, are you enjoying The Book Thief?

I'm reading A Thousand Splendid Suns. I love it so far.
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

Sílvia wrote:
That was a great book! I highly recommend following it up with The Kabul Beauty School, which is a memoir by this American white woman who goes to Afghanistan and starts a beauty school . . . very interesting stuff (and it really affirms a lot of what A Thousand Splendid Suns says about Afghan women and culture).
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished up A Glass Darkly and now I'm reading The American Plague about the Yellow Fever epidemic. It's really good so far.
Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

Sílvia wrote:Ruth, are you enjoying The Book Thief?

It's a very interesting read. I'm guessing it is death who does the talking, right? I have a feeling it isn't going to be a happy ending.

Have you read it? What did you think?
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I haven't read it yet, but it's been on my list for a while. Glad you're enjoying it! And yes, as far as I know, death does the talking.

Thanks!
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Finished Twilight. I think I'll read the other 2 books in the series. You can tell they're young adult but well written nonetheless.

I also whipped through Water for Elephants. If I'm not the only one out there that hasn't read it, I highly recommend it. Interesting to read about train circus and an easy read at that.

I have a few James Grippando books waiting for me so I'll probably start one of those next.
Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

I loved, loved, LOVED Water for Elephants. READ IT!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Ruth I really liked Boomsday.

Mellenhead, I just put Through a Glass Darkly on hold at the library.

I'm reading a very light book: Queen of Babble in the big city by Meg Cabot. Before that I was reading guidebooks to London and a couple of Anita Burgh books.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I just started The Hundred Secret Senses by Amy Tan. It's my first book by her. Has anyone read it? I'm only on page 20 or so, but it seems to be my kind of reading!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I've just started Fieldwork by Mischa Berlinski

From the Publisher
A daring, spellbinding tale of anthropologists, missionaries, demon possession, sexual taboos, murder, and an obsessed young reporter named Mischa Berlinski When his girlfriend takes a job as a schoolteacher in northern Thailand, Mischa Berlinski goes along for the ride, working as little as possible for one of Thailand''s English-language newspapers. One evening a fellow expatriate tips him off to a story. A charismatic American anthropologist, Martiya van der Leun, has been found dead. A daring, spellbinding tale of anthropologists, missionaries, demon possession, sexual taboos, murder, and an obsessed young reporter named Mischa Berlinski.
When his girlfriend takes a job as a schoolteacher in northern Thailand, Mischa Berlinski goes along for the ride, working as little as possible for one of Thailand''s English-language newspapers. One evening a fellow expatriate tips him off to a story. A charismatic American anthropologist, Martiya van der Leun, has been found dead--a suicide--in the Thai prison where she was serving a fifty-year sentence for murder.
Motivated first by simple curiosity, then by deeper and more mysterious feelings, Mischa searches relentlessly to discover the details of Martiya''s crime. His search leads him to the origins of modern anthropology--and into the family history of Martiya''s victim, a brilliant young missionary whose grandparents left Oklahoma to preach the Word in the 1920s and never went back. Finally, Mischa''s obssession takes him into the world of the Thai hill tribes, whose way of life becomes a battleground for two competing, and utterly American, ways of looking at the world.

So far I really like it. It feels like a memoir and not a novel.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I just finished "Children of Men" by PD James. It was pretty good.

Now I'm gonna read "Anne of Ingleside".