Its Jan 2008 - what are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Its Jan 2008 - what are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

Beatcha!

I'm reading Shoot the Moon by Billie Letts.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I'm reading nothing at this moment in time. I just finished "Beyond this Horizon" by Robert A Heinlein last night, and haven't started a new one yet. Also, finished "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho on audiobook, and haven't started a new one of those yet either.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Trumped! :lol

I'm reading Eat, Pray, Love and am simultaneously enjoying the talk of travel, and being annoyed by her attitude.
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

I'm reading Homeland, by John Jakes.
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Re: Its Jan 2008 - what are you reading?

Post by Lady Bug »

Rowan wrote: I'm reading Shoot the Moon by Billie Letts.
Oh I love Billie Letts - how is it?

I am reading Brother, I'm Dying by Edwidge Danticat, one of my faaaaavorite authors. This isn't gripping me the way her books usually do - maybe because it's memoir and not fiction. In any case, it's still a good read.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I just started "Notes from a Small Island" by Bill Bryson last night. So far, so good.

On audio, I started "Tess of the D'Urbervilles" by Thomas Hardy this morning. It took me a while to get used to the narrator but it seems like it'll be OK. I was worried it might be deadly boring but so far it isn't.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

I just finished the Alchemist's Daughter... I have some book with Veils in the title for my next read
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Last night I finished "The Subtle Knife," the second in the "His Dark Materials" trilogy by Phillip Pullman. I'll start "The Amber Spyglass" today, probably.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I'm reading London is the best city in America by Laura Dave. It's good in an "examining failed relationships" kinda way.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'm reading Anybody Out There? by Marian Keyes. Very satisfying, as usual. Marian Keyes is probably the only chicklit writer that doesn't underestimate my intelligence. Oh, and I didn't know she'd written a different book for each Walsh sister? I love it!
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Yesterday I finished the "His Dark Materials" trilogy. I liked it! The friend I borrowed them from told me to keep the books until I find someone to pass them on to. Any takers?

Now I think I'm going to start reading "The Virgin Homeowner" to hopefully learn some useful tips.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

I'm reading the New Yorker winter fiction issue. La dee da.

Spudd, Thomas Hardy is one of my FAVOURITE authors. He's such a downer. :lol
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Matrimony by Joshua Henken. So far it's good, but I'm only a very few pages in.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

I've gotten a good start now on John Irving's A Widow for One Year. So far it's pretty good.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

LB - Shoot the Moon was good. Definitely worth a read.

I just finished The Post-Birthday World. It was so good - I highly recommend it. The story splits off into 2 parts after the first chapter where a woman in a relationship has the opportunity to cheat on her partner. The following chapters are doubled where in one version of chapter 2 she does cheat and in the other she doesn't cheat. Plus the character development is really well done - the characters are so multifaceted (none of this perfect husband thing, there's good and bad to everyone). Best book I've read all year. :wink:

I'm reading the Darkest Night of the Year by Dean Koontz right now. Its not grabbing me yet but I'll give it a bit more time.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

Now I'm reading

Into the Wild or something like that (but I can't find it, I started it at the hotel)

And Veil of Roses by Laura Fitzgerald, which is really good so far.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I'm loving "The Virgin Homeowner." It has a lot of good information about the inner workings of houses and how to care for them. I'm highlighting in it as I read :nerd, and I'm guessing it will be referenced many many times in the upcoming few years.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

I'm almost finished now with American Dreams by John Jakes. After that I'm going to read Morality for Beautiful Girls, the third book in the "No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" by Alexander McCall Smith.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'm reading The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield now. It's very gripping, but I'm still having a hard time concentrating on a book because I'm very anxious about the birth.
Eponine
Going to Post in a Handbasket

Post by Eponine »

Sílvia wrote:I'm reading The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield now. It's very gripping, but I'm still having a hard time concentrating on a book because I'm very anxious about the birth.
I LOVE The Thirteenth Tale! It's one of my favorite books of all time. But I can see where being on the verge of giving birth would make you not be able to concentrate. :lol

I just realized that I never answered this post. I'm currently reading Nineteen Eighty-four by George Orwell. Somehow I got through school without ever reading it, and I finally picked it up. I'm about 3/4 done and it's great. Freaky, but great.