JUne now.. What you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Anna
TH Master

JUne now.. What you reading?

Post by Anna »

I'm reading The Tipping Point, so far it's ok, it reads like a textbook but I dont mind.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Re: JUne now.. What you reading?

Post by Beverly »

I'm reading A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. It's good so far, but I'm already slightly regretting the decision to read it ... I just know that a lot of horrible things are going to happen and it will make me sad.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I tried to reply to this yesterday, but I don't know what happened.

I have an eclectic reading list at the moment:

Anna Karenina - This is actually not nearly as boring as I expected it to be.
The Watchmen - This is a "graphic novel". I'm reading it because everyone says it's so great, and it was one of Time Magazine's "Best 100 Novels". Frankly, I'm not really into it, but I'm hoping it will get better.
Summer Sisters (by Judy Blume) - Just started this one this morning. So far it's just what I hoped for. Fluffy goodness.
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

Beverly wrote:I'm reading A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. It's good so far, but I'm already slightly regretting the decision to read it ... I just know that a lot of horrible things are going to happen and it will make me sad.
That is an OUTSTANDING book. While it's certainly not "feel good" it isn't all tragedy either . . . .

I'm just reading magazines right now, but I'm going to start back on my self-improvement reading regimen by focusing on memoirs of people who have overcome adversity like Christopher Gardner in The Pursuit of Happyness.
Stacy
Assless Chaps

Post by Stacy »

I just finished Love you to pieces: creative writers on raising a child with special needs. It was very good. Very honest. At times, I didn't want to put it down because I was just enthralled but other times I had to put it down because the stories were so raw, it was hard to read. Loved it.

I am now reading The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith. I am only three chapters in. The first two were interesting and got me in the story. The third left me waiting to see how it fits in. :lol
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

Stacy wrote:I just finished Love you to pieces: creative writers on raising a child with special needs. It was very good. Very honest. At times, I didn't want to put it down because I was just enthralled but other times I had to put it down because the stories were so raw, it was hard to read. Loved it.
Oh wow - I would love to read that. Thanks for posting!
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

I did finish up A Thousand Splendid Suns, and it was an extremely good read. LB was right, it wasn't all tragedy and heartbreak (though there was plenty of that).

I just got done reading The Good Husband of Zebra Drive, which is number 6 or 7 in the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series. It was good. Now I'm on to On Beauty by Zadie Smith.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I just finished reading Lipstick Jungle by Candace Bushnell for some fluff.

I just picked up Snuff by Chuck Palahniuk but haven't started reading it yet.
Stacy
Assless Chaps

Post by Stacy »

Lady Bug wrote:
Stacy wrote:I just finished Love you to pieces: creative writers on raising a child with special needs. It was very good. Very honest. At times, I didn't want to put it down because I was just enthralled but other times I had to put it down because the stories were so raw, it was hard to read. Loved it.
Oh wow - I would love to read that. Thanks for posting!
It was very good. I would send it to you, but I have already promised it to DH's cousin's family (they have a daughter with special needs).
Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

I love Chuck Pahlaniuk!

I just finished Bones (suspense) and School Days, the first in the Spenser novel series by Robert B. Parker. I enjoyed both.

I'm currently reading: When You are Engulfed in Flames, by David Sedaris - always funny!
I just bought, Such a Pretty Fat by Jen Lancaster who also writes a blog jennsylvania.com. So far, it is pretty good.

To be read:

Anthropologist on Mars by Oliver Sax - short stories about neurological patients
Second Chance - Jane Green - chick book
Happiness is an inside job.
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

Malanee wrote: I just bought, Such a Pretty Fat by Jen Lancaster who also writes a blog jennsylvania.com. So far, it is pretty good.
Okay, do you have to have read her other books or follow her blog in order to appreciate it? If so, I will have to wait until I get through her first book, which is still sitting on my shelf.