It's September - Whatcha Readin?

Moderator: Malanee

Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

It's September - Whatcha Readin?

Post by Lady Bug »

I am reading HACK by Melissa Plaut (based on her blog about being a female cab driver in NYC), TRUTH IN COMEDY by Charna Halpern and Del Close (to help me with my improv class), and THE DANCE OF LEGISLATION by Eric Redman (and discovering I knew a lot more than I thought I did about how Congress *really* works).

What about you?
Spudd
TH Master

Re: It's September - Whatcha Readin?

Post by Spudd »

I just finished "The Friday Night Knitting Club" by Kate Jacobs. It was pretty good, in a totally fluffy kind of way. I thought she used way too much knitting lingo for non-knitters, but since I'm a knitter it didn't really bother me personally.

Next on the agenda I think I'm going to read a Kathy Reichs book. I can't remember the title.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

For fun, I'm reading "Prep" by Curtis Sittenfield.

For "work" (that TV show), I'm reading "The Last Spike" by Pierre Berton. YAWN!
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I just finished up Jane Boleyn: The true story of the infamous Lady Rochford by Julia Fox. It was extremely interesting but I don't think they know enough about Jane Boleyn to do an entire book on her.

I also read 19 Minutes and My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Piccoult(sp?). Both were good, but My Sister's Keeper kept making me cry.

I'm now starting The Last Boleyn and Pushed: The Painful Truth About Childbirth and Modern Maternity Care
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

Right now I'm reading What Came Before He Shot Her by Elizabeth George. It's pretty good, like all her books are, but it's very sad and getting sadder by the page. I'm kind of regretting making the choice to read it.

Just before this, I read The Road by Cormac McCarthy, and I sort of wish I'd spared myself. I really hate post-apocalyptic stuff, and I didn't realize that's what this was when I started it. I suppose it was good, though ... it did win the Pulitzer, after all. In any event, it was a quick read and that's got to count for something.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Hm, I thought I was ready for fiction, but maybe not so much, since I picked The Nanny Diaries. Wasn't that supposed to be funny? It's readable, but it's certainly not funny.

Mellen and Beverly, waht time do you read? Before bed? That's what I've been doing since Leo was born, but I usually pass out after 5 pages or so. How do you guys read so much?
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Silvia I read on the train going to/from work and while I pump at work. I try to read at night too, but like you pass out around 4-5 pages!
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Ah, ok. You have train time! I'm jealous :giggle
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

Sílvia wrote:Mellen and Beverly, waht time do you read? Before bed? That's what I've been doing since Leo was born, but I usually pass out after 5 pages or so. How do you guys read so much?
I can't really read before bed, since Brynja goes to bed at the same time I do most nights. I read a lot when I'm nursing, or when she's napping, or when Olof's holding her and watching TV. I also carry my book around almost everywhere I go ... a lot of times I can read only a couple of paragraphs at a time, but I take what I can get!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I read Bitter is the new Black by Jen Lancaster, based on Malanee's recommendation. :awesome

And I *just* finished This Charming Man by Marian Keyes. I LOVE HER. She's Irish and writes fiction based on women characters in their 20s and 30s but I wouldn't call it chicklit exactly. Funny, dramatic, real, a bit suspenseful.

Now I'm going to start Buying In: The secret dialogue between what we buy and who we are by Rob Walker.
JenB
Wait a minute Mr. Postman!

Post by JenB »

I'm reading Creating Myself: How I Learned That Beauty Comes in All Shapes, Sizes, and Packages, Including Me by Mia Tyler and You: On A Diet: The Owner's Manual for Waist Management by Mehmet C. Oz and Michael F. Roizen
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

JenB wrote:I'm reading Creating Myself: How I Learned That Beauty Comes in All Shapes, Sizes, and Packages, Including Me by Mia Tyler and You: On A Diet: The Owner's Manual for Waist Management by Mehmet C. Oz and Michael F. Roizen
Hehe, kind of an interesting duo.

I just started some Tami Hoag book called "The Thin Dark Line". It's a cop mystery book. So far, it's kinda meh. Hopefully it will pick up.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

I'm reading "Breakfast at Tiffany's and Other Stories" by Truman Capote. Very delicious. :awesome
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

I'm working on A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving, and also the collection of essays that Dooce edited, Things I Learned about My Dad (in Therapy).
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished All we ever wanted was everything by Janelle Brown. The story is told from the viewpoints of a middle aged mom and her two daughters, aged 28 and 15. They have money, but spiral into a whole wackload of problems. Good read!

I just started Love the one you're with by Emily Giffen. I don't know how far I'll get before Mexico and it's a hardcover from the library so I don't want to take it.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Beverly, I'm the opposite, I prefer to read when I know I have at least 20 minutes or so. Is A Prayer for Owen Meany a reread for you? I could not get into that book at all. Hated it! But I seem to be alone on that.

I finished The Nanny Diaries. I didn't expect much from it, but I certainly did not expect it to be so sad! At the end I was like "what? this is it?? But, but..." No spoilers, but I thought something would change.

I'm now reading Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult (sp?). I'm only on page 38 or so, but I'm finding it very gripping.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Sílvia wrote: Is A Prayer for Owen Meany a reread for you? I could not get into that book at all. Hated it! But I seem to be alone on that.
I just... I can't... I don't think I can talk to you about books anymore. :mope

:lol

Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Hee. Isn't it interesting that we both love reading, yet there isn't a single book we both liked? :giggle
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

I know. :lol I thought we agreed on Jhumpa Lahiri but that was like the only one EVER.

As long as you buy my book (if I ever write one) and tell me you like it (even if you don't), we're all good. :awesome

Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I'm mostly just reading textbooks, but for my gerontology nursing course we're reading a novel too. It's called "The Stone Angel" and is by Margaret Laurence. I'm only on chapter 2, but it's quite good so far. It's fun to have a novel to read for a class...such a nice change from 1000-page+ nursing textbooks.