It's November - What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

It's November - What are you reading?

Post by Lady Bug »

What are you reading?

Me, I am reading yet another self-help book called Never Be Late Again and it gets into the psychological reasons for lateness . . . so far it is helping me be more concientious (sp?) and even more timely . . . so good stuff!
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Re: It's November - What are you reading?

Post by mellenhead »

Let's see.....I'm all over the place:

The autobiography of Henry VIII - LOVE IT....only a few more chapters before I'm done (It's like 900+ pages)

The No Cry Sleep Solution, Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child, The Baby Sleep Book (can you tell we have sleeping issues?)

I'm on and off reading Fat Girl, The Other Princess and the new Gregory McGuire book that I can't remember the name of.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Ooh... is it the third Wicked book, mellen? I love his books.

I'm reading Madame Bovary by Flaubert, and the second Gossip Girl novel. Holy, opposite ends of the reading spectrum. :lol
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I'm reading Anna Karenina (still), and The Gunslinger.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

I finished up A Prayer for Owen Meany a couple of days ago ... wow, what a fantastic book. John Irving kind of gets on my nerves sometimes, but I was completely captivated by this book. Really, one of the best books I've read in a long time. I was so moved by it that I went looking for reviews online and was dismayed to find out that it got sort of a cool response from the critics. It always makes me feel terribly unsophisticated when I find out that something I really liked is panned, and I start second-guessing my own response a little. I hate that.

Now I'm on to a Swedish book Anna, Hanna och Johanna by Marianne Fredriksson. I think Ruth read it in translation a few years ago and really liked it. So far I'm liking it okay, but I'm finding the Swedish a little daunting. Maybe I'm not so fluent after all.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Recently I've read I was told there'd be cake by Sloane Crosley. This is a book of essays; quite funny.

I also just finished American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld. It's a novel loosely based on the life of Laura Bush. I couldn't put it down.

Now I'm reading Keeping the House by Ellen Baker. It jumps back and forth between the early 1900's and the 1950's as a young housewife tries to unravel the mystery of a family that lived in her town.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'm reading another one by Jodi Picoult - Salem Falls. I'm only on page 85 or so, but I like it. Is she considered trashy? I have a feeling she is, but I don't care. She's fun :mrgreen: .
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

I'm reading this adorable book that I think you guys would love (yes, even you Silvia :giggle )

It's called "Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader" and it's these little essays about things that readers do: proofread restaurant menus, read mail-order catalogs when there's nothing else around, panic about merging their librairies with their spouses, etc. It's awesome.
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

A few days ago I finished Anna, Hanna och Johanna, then I read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time. Both were good, and I especially liked the second because it was a quick, satisfying read.

Now I'm on to Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler. It's the only one of her novels I haven't yet read.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
That is such a good book! I should re-read it.

I'm still working on The Stone Angel for school. I'm through chapter 8, so it's almost done. Such a sad book, but I really like it.