It's July - what are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

It's July - what are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

Just finished Home Safe by Elizabeth Berg this morning. I liked it - light easy read.

I have the new Dean Koontz on my pile which will probably be next. I have to stock up for our trip this weekend.
Spudd
TH Master

Re: It's July - what are you reading?

Post by Spudd »

I finally finished Wolves of the Calla yesterday! OMG, I hated that book. Like nothing happened. It got good in the final 50 pages or so (out of like 650). I haven't picked my next book yet, but I don't think it'll be King. I need a break.

Still listening to The Great Gatsby on my commute. I'm about halfway through now. So far, I'm enjoying it.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'm surprised you lasted that long with so little action, Spudd. I would have given up around page 100.

I'm reading The Schopenhauer Cure by Irvin Yalom. I'm enjoying it, though it doesn't have ANY action. It's all talk, but it's good!
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

I finished Then We Came to the End a few days ago -- that was a seriously good book. I highly recommend it.

Now I'm on to The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff. I'm less than 100 pages in, and I haven't decided yet how I feel about it.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

I'm reading A Year in the Merde by Stephen Clarke, which I'm finding very funny. :)
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Sílvia wrote:I'm surprised you lasted that long with so little action, Spudd. I would have given up around page 100.

I'm reading The Schopenhauer Cure by Irvin Yalom. I'm enjoying it, though it doesn't have ANY action. It's all talk, but it's good!
I just realized I contradicted myself. I don't *usually* like books with no action, but there are exceptions.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

In Vegas I read Are you there Vodka, Its' Me Chelsea? It was funny..

I'm also working on a true crime book that took place in NC
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I just started "Demon Seed" by Dean Koontz last night. So far I'm not that into it, but I've only read like 10 pages so far. I think it's my first Dean Koontz.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I'm about 50 pages into Celebutantes. I forget who wrote it. It's pretty annoying so far......I picked it up because it looked mindless and fun.

I really need a good fun beach read type book
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished The Family Man by Eleanor Lipman. I loved this book. I really liked the characters and the dialogue.

Now I'm reading Outtakes from a Marriage by Ann Leary. It's my first by her, and so far it's good.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

OK, Demon Seed sucked. I'm now reading "The Hunt for Red October" which is somewhat better.
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

I finished "My Sisters Keeper" last night. I started it Friday night. It was the first book I've ready by Jodi Piccoult and I'm not sure I'll read another! I was SO into it. Until the last 15 pages or so. The ending ruined the whole thing for me. I felt like I got sucker punched. I thought it was a really cruel thing to do to the reader and that Jodi Piccoult must be a mean person.

I'm also still reading the Sookie series. I'm on "Definately Dead". I'm getting more into them. I like Eric way better than Bill.

Also, reading adoption books.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

Rachael the majoirity of her books are like that, really good until the last chapter.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

I finished up The 19th Wife a few days ago. It was okay, enjoyable enough, but not fantastic. I've just started Fingersmith by Sarah Waters, and I have high expectations for it.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Outtakes from a Marriage and really liked it. Then I realized Ann Leary is Denis Leary's wife!

Now I'm reading Don't get too comfortable: the Indignities of Coach Class, the Torments of Low Thread Count, the Never-Ending Quest for Artisinal Olive Oil, and Other First World Problems . It's by David Rakoff, and I'm loving it. It's a book of essays.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'm reading The Cider House Rules by John Irving. It's great, but the print is tiny and the book is long, so I figure I'll still be reading it in... October?
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I'm also reading a John Irving book: The 158-Pound Marriage. It's really good, and I am so happy to have time for pleasure reading!

I went to the library the other day and also got a fluff Mary Higgins Clark mystery novel and "You're Wearing That? Understanding Mothers and Daughters in Conversation." Looking forward to reading both of those as well.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished the David Rakoff book, which was good. Now I'm reading Body Surfing by Anita Shreve. I usually like her stuff; this one has started out promisingly.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I finished The 158-Pound Marriage; it was really good. Now I'm almost finished with the Mary Higgins Clark novel, Nighttime is My Time, and have read a couple chapters of You're Wearing THAT?