It's August - what are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

It's August - what are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

Just finished One For the Money by Janet Evanovich and I'm reading Two for the Dough. They're pretty fluffy but enjoyable summer reading.

Haven't been around much last month and definitely read a few duds but did really enjoy Hold Tight by Harlan Coben and Say Goodbye by Lisa Gardner.

Happy Reading everyone!!!!
Spudd
TH Master

Re: It's August - what are you reading?

Post by Spudd »

I finished The Hunt for Red October. It was OK. I wouldn't recommend it, but it's not bad if you have nothing else to read.

Now I'm re-reading Brave New World. Love that book.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

Finished The Mysterious Benedict Society, which Jon was reading and is geared toward preteens but is 500 pages long and I must say a very good book with a message in hidden inside too.. a little of a 1984ish message but done very well and appropriate. And it was well written. We're waiting on the sequel from the library now.
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

I'm reading "Nights in Rodanthe" by Nicholas Sparks. His books are all basically the same.

I read "The Time Travelers Wife" last week. Liked it a lot.

I tried to read "The Almost Moon" by the author of "The Lovely Bones" (Alice something, I think), but just couldn't get into. I don't often quit a book, but 50 pages of her cleaning poop off her dead mother was just too much!

I'm waiting for the latest Sookie book to be available at the library.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Rachael wrote:
I read "The Time Travelers Wife" last week. Liked it a lot.
I *LOVED* The Time Travelers Wife. Not so sure how I feel about it being made into a movie.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

On Sunday I finished Body Surfing by Anita Shreve. It was really very good. I like her style; it's not flowery at all.

Now I'm halfway through Jennifer Johnson is sick of being single by heather McElhatton. This book is HILARIOUS. I can't put it down. I'm going to have to find this author's other novel, Pretty Little Mistakes.

Strangely enough, R's mom had me go through a box of books R's sister had left at their place for any I wanted. I'd read most of them, but I took home The Time Traveller's Wife b/c I hadn't read it. I'm going to save it for Mexico because I don't like travelling with library books.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I finished "Nighttime is My Time" by Mary Higgins Clark; it was a good fluffy suspense novel but not as good as I remember others of hers being (I used to read her books a lot in middle & high school).

I'm about halfway through "You're Wearing That? Understanding Mothers and Daughters in Conversation" by Deborah Tannen and am really enjoying it. Sometimes it seems a little redundant, but it's given me things to think about in relation to my relationship with my mom. I'd recommend it.

And last but not least, last night I started "A Bird in the House" by Margaret Laurence. I'm only about 15 pages into it, but like the others of hers I've read, it grabbed me right away. Crystal! Isn't she one of your favorite authors (I know she's Canadian)? Which books of hers would you recommend?
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I loved The Time Traveler's Wife too. But when is the movie coming out? I heard about the movie 5 years ago when I read the book.

I'm still reading The Cider House Rules by John Irving. I love it.

I just bought The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood on Beverly's recommendation and ordered The 158-pound Marriage by John Irving on Bugsy's!
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I finished Three to Get Deadly by Janet Evanovich (book I had was all 3 novels in one).

I'm currently reading The Last Child by John Hart. It is so good so far. The story is about a boy who's twin was abducted and how he goes about town hunting her. The writing is so good.

Also if you haven't read The Help definitely look into it. Everyone I know has just loved it.
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

Ro, I loved "Down River" by John Hart. I read it in one day. I am definately going to read his other two books.

I read two books over the weekend:

"The Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing" by Melissa Banks

and "Dead and Gone" - the latest Sookie Stackhouse book!

I read the Girl's Guide in one sitting. I really liked some of it, but there was a segment in the middle that I was waiting for it to tie in, and it never did. Also, I found the last part really annoying to read.

I had a hard time getting into the Sookie series, but I'm such an addict now. Cary and I have also watched 3 episodes of the series. Boy, did they change Tara from the books! Fun to watch, though!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Jennifer Johnson is Sick of being Single and I loved it up until the very end. I can't remember now how it ended but I didn't really like it.

Now I'm onto The Late, Lamented Molly Marx by Sally Koslow. It's told from the point of view of a woman who has just died. It's told in a funny way.

I also have the new Penny Vincenzi but it's HUGE. I may have to start it today and put the above book on hold, so I can get it back to the library in time.
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

I finished the most recent Sookie book. Then I read "Pretty in Plaid" by Jen Lancaster (very funny!). I can't recall the name of the book I'm reading now. Something from the library.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

This week I finished both "A Bird in the House" by Margaret Laurence and "You're Wearing That? Understanding Mothers and Daughters in Conversation" by Deborah Tannen; both were really good. Yesterday I picked up Isaac Asimov's 2nd collection of short stories (don't remember the exact title) from the library and started it today. I've never really read anything of his, so I'm hoping to use these stories as a gauge for whether I like his writing or not. It's really long!
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I just finished "Brave New World" - it's more preachy than I remembered! But still good.

Next up is "Song of Susannah" (which is book 6 in King's Dark Tower series). I pray it's better than the last one. At this point I'm only still reading them because it seems like I should, having gotten so far into it.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I finished Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsey yesterday. The book is really different from the series. Dare I say I like the series better?

Next up is Relentless by Dean Koontz. I've ready the first 10 pages or so and it seems good. He's very hit or miss for me.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

I'm onto

Ghost Writer (sorry my books are downstairs no clue on authors)

and Jon and i are reading

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Finished Relentless. I liked it. The end was quirky but it was worth reading.

I"m reading the next Charlaine Harris Sookie Stackhouse. I forget the name but i'm sure it has Dead in it. :)

I gotta get cracking on the August reading....I'm a little on the light side for the month.

ETA: It's All Together Dead
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

I just started "Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell. I need to pick another book because I'm leeeeeeeaving on a jet plane on Saturday to see my momma. I'm thinking of "The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao." It won the Pulitzer, so it should be alright. ;)
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I ended up reading the Penny Vincenzi book, "The best of times". I loved it. She weaves the lives of a lot of characters. 750 pages wasn't long enough.

Now I'm back to the Late Lamented Molly Marx. So far its good.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Finished All Together Dead this morning.

Started The Last Bridge by Teri Coyne. I'm literally 3 pages in and I can't wait to read more. That was such a teaser. This book is widely acclaimed on LibraryThing and the author has a thread going for the next week or so to discuss the book. I want to finish quickly so that I can pop on and contribute.