It's September - what are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

It's September - what are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

Can you believe its September already?

I'm still reading Hide by Lisa Gardner. I really like her mysteries - they're generally hard to figure out.

I went to the library yesterday and got a giant stack to take to NH with me this weekend. I'm hoping I can get some good reading in plus I have Tuesday off all by myself!
Spudd
TH Master

Re: It's September - what are you reading?

Post by Spudd »

I really can't believe it!

I'm still reading "Songs of Susannah" or something like that.. book 6 in the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. On audiobook I'm listening to "Middlemarch" by George Eliot.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I recently started "The Robber Bride" by Margaret Atwood. Crystal should feel honored. ;) I'm fewer than 50 pages into it, but it's good so far!
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

I do! My efforts at global domination are working, mwa ha ha! ;)

I'm reading Kristin Chenoweth's autobiography, which is called "A Little Bit Wicked." I can't help it, I find her adorable.
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I loved the Robber Bride - it was one my fave books last year!
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Cool! I'm definitely liking it so far (very mysterious vibe to it), but I just haven't really had a nice chunk of time to sit down and really dig into it yet. Hopefully this weekend will be a little less busy.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I loved Hide. If you like thriller/murder mysteries you should check out Lisa Gardner - she's really great. Hide is apparently the second in a series so I will have to dig up the first one of these days.

I'm currently working on Heartbreaking Work of a Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers which apparently *everyone* in the entire world has read but me. Ok, well maybe the entire LibraryThing world. I've been lurking there quite a bit and really adding books to my "to be read" list. This definitely helps during the library trips.

Dance for the long weekend.... :bunny
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Rowan, I loved Heartbreaking... but I haven't enjoyed anything else Dave Eggers has written.

This Unlikely Disciple book is fascinating. And a bit scary.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Blush - I like Heartbreaking but I wasn't blown away. I loved What is the What the story of the lost boys of Sudan. They are very different books though.

I'm just starting Evil at Heart the third in the Chelsea Cain serial killer series.
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

I just finished "Change of Heart" by Jodi Piccolt. It wasn't as compelling as "My Sister's Keeper", but the ended didn't enrage me like "My Sister's Keeper" either. I'll probably keep reading her books if the library has them, but I won't go out of my way to hunt them down.

Now I'm reading "The Last Secret" by Mary McGarry Morrison.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I finished "The Robber Bride" after work today. I really liked it and will probably check out some others of hers in the future. Any suggestions in particular?

I have two sci-fi books on my desk, but I know I won't finish them before their due date. In fact, I may take a couple of weeks off of reading just to get some stuff done around the house.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Got through both Evil at Heart (Chelsea Cain) and Four to Score (Janet Evanovich) over the weekend. Both were ok. I felt that the Chelsea Cain never really got started and then it was over. I don't remember having that feeling with a book before. Very strange.

I'm reading Stephen Frey's latest, Hell's Gate. The story revolves around mysterious forest fires in Montana and in particular one character, Paul, who is a Fire Jumper called to jump into the fires and fight them. Don't really know a lot about this profession so that is interesting, the main plot is pretty basic but an easy read. I'll probably finish it tonight.

Next up are the next few Sookie Stackhouses that came in from the library yesterday. After that, I think I need to find something more substantial as I've really been reading a lot of easy stuff lately.
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

I just finished "The Last Secret" Mary McGarry Morris. Can't believe I made it thorugh. Boring, boring, boring.

Now I'm reading "Laura Rider's Masterpiece" by Jane Hamilton and "Cosbyology" by Bill Cosby.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I read the first story in Paul Auster's New York Trilogy and don't feel like reading the others. I used to like his weirdness, but this one is too much. Now I'm reading Dennis Lehane's (sp?) Prayers for Rain and I'm totally hooked, which is kind of unexpected, since I'm not usually into mysteries/detective stories. I did like his Mystic River too, so I might turn into a fan. If not of the whole genre, at least of his work.
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

I finished Laura Rider's Masterpiece. I'm not a big fan of Jane Hamilton. I know Map of the World and Book of Ruth are very popular, but I find her style to be kind of boring.

Now I'm reading "The Help" and am totally sucked in.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I've just been trying to read Lucky Girl by Mei-Ling Hopgood. It's a memoir about her life; she was adopted by an American family from China. OMG it sucks, but I had been trying to plow through it because it was the only thing I had from the library and the books that I own that I haven't read yet I'm trying to save for the trip (don't like traveling with library books).

Thank goodness two books came in for me today. I think I'm going with the nonfiction Millionaire: The Philanderer, Gambler and Duelist who Invented Modern Finance by Janet Gleeson. It actually looks pretty fascinating: scandals and intrigue of the 1700's. We need a smiley with a sword.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

84. From Dead to Worse Charlaine Harris
Rating: 3.5 out of 5

85. Dead and Gone Charlaine Harris
Rating: 3.5 out of 5

I've enjoyed reading the Sookie Stackhouse series. I’ve found that as I learn more about the characters that I’m enjoying the books even more. This isn’t “literature” but they are a fun way to pass the time. I’m also watching the series on DVD.

86. Life as We Knew It Susan Beth Pfeffer
Rating: 4 out of 5

I picked this up after reading several LibraryThingers raving about it. It is a YA novel written in diary form about a teenaged girl’s experience in a post apocalyptic world in a small town. It's really excellent. There really isn’t a lot to the story but the character development is really very good. I highly recommend it to anyone that hasn’t read it. I liked it so much I picked up another of Pfeffer’s. Same experience but with a teenage boy in NYC called Dead and the Gone. So far so good but I’m not drawn in so much as the previous one.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I just picked up "Cat's Eye" by Margaret Atwood. The others I had on my list were either checked out or not at the branch I go to, so I just got another one by her. Hope it's good!
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

I will never come close to Rowan's speed-i-tude. ;) I'm at about 40 books for the year, so far.

I'm reading "Olive Kittredge" by Elizabeth Strout. Gawd, I wish I could write like that...
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Crystal is it good? Its next on my pile. I've heard rave reviews on it. Not used to reading short stories so hopefully I can get into it.

I also have Jonathan Tropper's latest on the pile.

Thank goodness for the library!