It's September - what are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Re: It's September - what are you reading?

Post by Crystal Meth »

I think it's really good, so far. She writes really well, and throws in a sucker-punch every once in a while so you're like "OMG, what??"

All the stories have this woman Olive in them, so it doesn't really feel like short stories because they're all connected.

:awesome
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

I loved "The Help". I highly suggest it, if you haven't read it.

I think I've ready about 65 books this year. Not sure what I'm going to start next.
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

I just finished "I Love You, Miss Huddleston: And Other Inappropriate Longings of My Indiana Childhood " by Phillip Gulley. It was okay. Barely okay. Now I'm reading some Nicholas Sparks (they're all pretty much the same). It's my 64th book this year.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finally finished "Song of Susannah" and now I'm on to "The Nanny Diaries". It's a decent quick read so far. It says on the cover it's "diabolically funny" which I must say I disagree with. But it's entertaining enough.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Spudd, I didn't find that book funny at all. In fact, as a mom, I found it very sad.
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

I didn't read Nanny Diaries, but Cary and I found the movie to be dark and unfunny.

I'm reading "The Story Sisters" by Alice Hoffman. I can't put it down, even though I feel like it is filling me up with sad darkness!
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Well, I finished the Nanny Diaries. I can totally see how a mom would find it sad. I'm not a mom, so I didn't really (except for the part with the dog!) but it definitely wasn't really funny either. Meh, it was okay.

Now I'm reading "The Blind Assassin" by Margaret Atwood. So far, so good, although it's a little weird. But I guess you gotta expect that. I'm not very far into it yet.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I don't remember the dog part, but the part where the bimbo mom is away on vacation and won't answer her cell phone while her son is coughing his lungs out and crying for her just about broke my heart.

Also, when you finish The Blind Assassin, please answer my question!
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

I'm not a mom, but I definitely thought parts were sad. The woman has all but abandoned her son! But I think it's important to show the ugly side of humans as well as the good, so I "enjoyed" seeing it addressed, if that makes any sense.

I'm starting "The Private Lives of Pippa Lee." Finding it a little slow, so far...
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie