It's November! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rachael
My bee is in the hive

It's November! What are you reading?

Post by Rachael »

I just finished "Where the Heart Is" by Billie Letts. Way better than the crappy movie with Natalie Portman. Now I'm reading "The Psycho Ex Game". It's coauthored by a TV writer and dude that was in the band Wall of Voodoo.
Blush
TH Master

Re: It's November! What are you reading?

Post by Blush »

I finished that Nora Roberts book, Vision in White. It was ok for what was categorized as a romance. Now I'm reading "Juliet, Naked" by Nick Hornby. So far it's not the least bit funny; just feels like a low-grade depression.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I just finished Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella. It was a cute fluff book. I also read Perfectly True Tales of a Perfect Size 12. It sucked and I have no idea why I read the whole thing.

Right now I'm in the middle of The Venetian Betrayal by Steve Berry. It's really good, but I love his books.

I have The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and The Children's Book: A Novel by A.S. Byatt waiting for me at the library. Hopefully I can get up there tomorrow.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

I'm never going to make 50 books by the end of the year. :crying

I'm reading The Elegance of the Hedgehog. It's a bit dry and philosophical, but I like dry and philosophical. Maybe that's why I can't blow through more books more quickly. :lol

Blush, I saw Nick Hornby read from Juliet, Naked last month, and I liked the parts he read. He signed my copy of The Polysyllabic Spree. :love
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Well, good news. I had a hard time putting the Nick Hornby book away just now after lunch. It's getting good. I love how he creates realistic characters that you just want to smack.
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

I'm reading The Hunger Games now. It is SO GOOD!

I had previously started "Made in the USA" by Billie Letts, but left it home yesterday. I was in the shop with tire repairs all afternoon and "The Hunger Games" was waiting for me at the library so I picked it up and was so disapointed my car only took an hour!
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I just finished The Hunger Games. AWESOME BOOK. I loved it. I picked it up last night and finished it at lunch today - I couldn't put it down. I'm buying it for my Dad for Christmas, I think he'll like it.

I'm going to start on The Children's Book tonight.

EDITED TO ADD: After looking on Amazon to see the reviews on other books that Suzanne Collins wrote I realized Book 2 "Catching Fire" of The Hunger Games is already out! :wave I'm going to go buy it tomorrow. There are over 80 holds already at the library and I just cannot wait that long. Rowan did you already read Book 2?
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby. It ended up being good, but I wouldn't say it's my favourite of his.

Now I'm reading Suddenly by Bonnie Burnard. I loved her first novel, A Good House and I think she won the Giller prize for that. She's a local writer and it's neat to see placenames I recognize, but I just love her style; it seems to convey a lot of feeling without being flowery.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished "First Meetings in the Enderverse" by Orson Scott Card. It was a quick fun read. Nothing to write home about.

Now I've just started the final book in the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. This is gonna take me a while. The book is huge.
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

mellenhead wrote:I just finished The Hunger Games. AWESOME BOOK. I loved it. I picked it up last night and finished it at lunch today - I couldn't put it down. I'm buying it for my Dad for Christmas, I think he'll like it.

I'm going to start on The Children's Book tonight.

EDITED TO ADD: After looking on Amazon to see the reviews on other books that Suzanne Collins wrote I realized Book 2 "Catching Fire" of The Hunger Games is already out! :wave I'm going to go buy it tomorrow. There are over 80 holds already at the library and I just cannot wait that long. Rowan did you already read Book 2?
That's exactly what I did! Finished Hunger Games, saw online that the second book was out then ran to Target to buy it! My library doesn't have Catching Fire yet and I just couldn't wait. I'm about 100 pages in. Hopefully I can make some progress on it during the boring parts of Biggest Loser tonight.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Rach, I finished "Catching Fire" in 2 days. It was excellent and the story line towards the middle/end was totally not what I expected. I wonder when Book 3 will come out since it's a trilogy.

I just started reading The Third Secret by Steve Berry. I'm not liking it very much though so I may bail on it if I don't get more into when I read before bed tonight.
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

I finished "Catching Fire" last night! I am so bummed that we have to wait for the third book to come out!
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I added "The Hunger Games" to my Amazon wishlist thanks to you guys's recommendations. I hope someone gets it for me for xmas!
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

I finished People of the Book last week, and it was so, so good. Now I'm trying to get into fantasy novel called Humility Garden by Felicity Savage (that HAS to be a pen name). I found it on one of Olof's bookshelves and was drawn in by the title. I'm not much of a fantasy reader though, so we'll see how it goes.
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

Spudd wrote:I added "The Hunger Games" to my Amazon wishlist thanks to you guys's recommendations. I hope someone gets it for me for xmas!
Add the next book, "Catching Fire". You'll want it right away about you finish "The Hunger Games"!
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

Finished "Made in the USA".

Next up, "King of Lies" by John Hart.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Can't believe it's the middle of the month and I'm just posting now. Didn't get to read much at Disney but I'll update what I did get through later.

Regarding Hunger Games/Catching Fire....loved, loved Hunger Games (one of my fave reads this year) and enjoyed Catching Fire but didn't love it like Hunger Games. I felt that the story was rushed.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Rach, I considered that, but then I thought maybe someone would get me the sequel and not get me the original, not realizing they were a series. So I thought I better play it safe and just put the first one on there.
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

Rowan wrote:
Regarding Hunger Games/Catching Fire....loved, loved Hunger Games (one of my fave reads this year) and enjoyed Catching Fire but didn't love it like Hunger Games. I felt that the story was rushed.
I agree with that, but am still anxiously awaiting book 3!
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Beverly - I looked up People of the Book. It has now been wishlisted. :awesome
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie