It's December - what are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Re: It's December - what are you reading?

Post by Rachael »

I finished "The Mighty Queens of Freeville" by Amy Dickenson. It was pretty good. Now I'm reading "Story Telling" by Tori Spelling.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished The Murder of King Tut by James Patterson. Loved the portions that told the story of Tut and the story of the person that found the tomb. Hated that James Patterson put chapters in for "present day" and that he was solving the mystery. I eventually quit reading those chapters.

Right now I'm reading Cleaving by Julie Powell. (She wrote Julie and Julia). It was suuuuuuper slow at first but now I"m getting more into it. She is apprenticing at a butchers shop and her marriage is falling apart. Sounds weird but I like it. After this I'm going to start either Hungry by Crystal Renn or The Lancuna by Barbara Kingsolver.
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

Tori Spelling is a delusional, annoying, spoiled brat. And she can't write.

Last night I read "The Gift" by Cecelia Ahern in one sitting. Light and uplifting.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Rachael, which Tori Spelling book did you read? I kind of liked her first one but the second one I couldn't get through.
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

It was the first one (Story Telling). She just came across so spoiled and delusional. I'm not saying everything in her life was easy, but she really seems to think she had a really rough childhood!
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

Now I'm reading "A Short History of Women".
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

Hated "A Short HIstory of Women". SO boring.

Now I'm reading "Girls in Trucks" by Kate Crouch.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Rach I couldn't even finish A Short History of Women.

I finished Cleaving by Julie Powell. It was decent but I didn't really like the last few chapters and ending.

Right now I'm reading The Paris Vendetta by Steve Berry. Love it, but I love all his books.

After this I still have 3 books out from the library that need to go back 1/6. But I got 6 books for Christmas that are all calling my name.

I got: Widow of the South and A Separate Country by Robert Hicks, Under the Dome by Stephen King, Marie Antoinette by Antonia Fraser, The Road by Cormac McCarthy and The Terror (I think that's the name) by Dan Simmons. I"m anxiously awaiting Jake's nap so I can make peppermint hot chocolate and read!
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

In the last couple days I've finished:

Girls in Trucks by Kate Crouch (good! easy read, but more depth than "chick lit" and unique writing style)

and

Island of Lost Girls by Jennifer McMahon (really good, but dark and sad)

I think I'm going to read Michael J. Fox's memoir next.
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

Today I read "Testing Kate" by Whitney Gaskell. It was okay. Total fluff. I learned reading the last page that the author lives about an hour south of me. I'm off again tomorrow. This was book 94, so I totally could possibly make it to 100 by Friday.

I'm also reading the Michael J. Fox book, but I'm not that into it.
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

Last night I read "Testimony" by Anita Shreave. It was okay. It was written in different voices and one, the headmaster, was really boring. I skipped whole pages of his parts.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I got two books finished while we were away:

1. The Wife's Tale by Lori Lansens. I loved this book, and would recommend it to anyone.

2. Last Chance Saloon by Marian Keyes. I thought I had read everything by Marian Keyes, but I was mistaken. This is also a great book.
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

I just finished Bound South by Susan Rebecca White. It was light, but had a bit of meat to it. It was fun.