500 books in a year!

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

500 books in a year!

Post by Rowan »

There's a woman that I follow on LT that just hit 500 for the year. And yes, she has a family and a job but I guess she doesn't sleep very much. She also did it with time to spare. I've gotten some really good recommendations from her list.

I'm just amazed....and jealous.....
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Re: 500 books in a year!

Post by Crystal Meth »

I'm jealous too! I'm just barely going to hit 50 this year. :unsure
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Amazed, yes, jealous, no. I don't think she's enjoying any of those books, she's just rushing through them to prove a point. Besides, I'd never find that many *good* books to read! I've only loved 3 books this year, and one of them was a reread.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Honestly, I think she is enjoying them. Her posts are so much more interesting than the woman who is doing a book a year. I think she just spends all her free time and part of her sleep time reading and I think she reads fast.

In the last couple of years I've really worked at finding *good* books by reading reviews, scouring LibraryThing, reading Bookmarks, browsing B&N and Target. It is possible to find good books if you work at it as opposed to what I used to do and just browse the library aimlessly (which is still fun too!). I keep a running To Be Read list in my wallet so that I always have a few suggestions when I hit the library.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

I've never been at a loss for *good* books, good being subjective. (And keeping in mind that anything I call good, Silvia hates. ;) )

I also use Librarything, Indigo, the books section of the NYT and Globe & Mail, and the awards nominations (Pulitzer, Nobel, Governor's General, Giller and even those "100 best"-type list.)

I probably have a list of over 100 well-received books that I want to read. (But WHEN???) I might not love them all or recommend them once I've read them, but I can honestly say that I'm excited *to* read them.
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Oh yeah, I meant good to me, of course.

I confess I used to be much better at researching about books I'd like before Leo was born. Now I don't always have the energy or the time. And I've found that authors I once liked don't always satisfy. I guess I've been unlucky.