It's January - what are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Re: It's January - what are you reading?

Post by Beverly »

The footnotes were probably my favorite part ... I hadn't had any idea, either.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'm reading the second one in Stieg Larsson's trilogy. I'll feel so orphaned when I'm done.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished Under the Dome by Stephen King last night. LOVED it. Well developed characters and the ending was not what I expected at all.

I just started In the Heart of the Sea - The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick at lunch. It's the true story that inspired Moby Dick. I'm only a few chapters in but it's very compelling so far.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I finished The Hunger Games yesterday. Wow, what a good story! I really loved it. Didn't some of you guys say that the rest of the trilogy wasn't that good, though? What are they about?

I'm one chapter into Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. So far it's good.
Last edited by Bugsy on Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Bugsy wrote:I finished The Hunger Games yesterday. Wow, what a good story! I really loved it. Didn't some of you guys say that the rest of the trilogy wasn't that good, though? What are they about?
So far only the second book is out - "Catching Fire". I loved it. I think Beverly said she felt the story was a bit rushed. Ithink you liked The Hunger Games you would definitely enjoy Catching Fire.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Thanks, Mellenhead. I just placed a hold for it. :)
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

I loved "Catching Fire". I loved "The Hunger Games" more, but if you enjoyed the characters and the story you'll like "Catching Fire", too. It left me dying for the third one, which isn't out yet!

"Hunger Games" and "The Help" were probably my two favorites I read in 2009,

I've been reading, but been too busy to post. I'll have to think about what I've read! "U is for Undertow" by Sue Grafton, "One for the Money" By Janet Evanowich, "Dead Witch Walking" and "The Good, The Bad and the Undead" by Kim Harrison and "So Happy Together" by Maryanne McFadden.

"U is for Undertow" was great! If you are a fan of the series, you'll enjoy it. The others were okay.

Next up is "Pygmy" by Chuck Paluhniak.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Today I finished "Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro. I thought it was quite good! In a college lit class I had to read another novel of his, "A Pale View of Hills," and I remember liking that too. May have to read more of his work....

Then this evening I checked out "The Penelopliad" (sp?) by Margaret Atwood. My aunt recommended it.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

I'm reading The Age of Innocence. I'm still reading Swann's Way, but that one I think will just be a few pages every once in a while. It's quite good and not at all difficult, but it's so dense. You just can't blow through 50 pages at a time.

My goal is more quality, less quantity in 2010.

April, I read The Penelopiad. Have you read The Odyssey?
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

mellenhead wrote:
Bugsy wrote:I finished The Hunger Games yesterday. Wow, what a good story! I really loved it. Didn't some of you guys say that the rest of the trilogy wasn't that good, though? What are they about?
So far only the second book is out - "Catching Fire". I loved it. I think Beverly said she felt the story was a bit rushed. Ithink you liked The Hunger Games you would definitely enjoy Catching Fire.
I haven't read either one of those yet, but I think I should, since so many people I know are raving about them!

Right now I'm reading American on Purpose by Craig Ferguson and The Girl Who Stopped Swimming
by Joshilyn Jackson.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Crystal Meth wrote:April, I read The Penelopiad. Have you read The Odyssey?
I don't think I've read the actual work, but I read segments and learned about it in high school. Will I enjoy "The Penelopiad" less if I'm not really familiar with "The Odyssey"?
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Enh, you don't have to have read it, though it helps if you're familiar with the story. (There are minor characters like the maidens and her other suitors that are in the Odyssey.) Atwood is just telling her story and giving her more layers.

I thought it was :awesome
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I finished "The Penelopiad" by Margaret Atwood. It was good, but I wish I'd chosen a different one of hers, I guess.

Pretty soon I'm going to head down to the library to return that one and check out "Catching Fire." I got an email that it was on hold for me.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

I finished The Girl Who Stopped Swimming, and it was pretty good. Definitely the best of her three books, in my opinion.

I've just started The Other Boleyn Girl and I'm still working on the Craig Ferguson book.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finally finished the Dark Tower, and OMG that was so not worth it. During "Wolves of the Calla" I stopped being into and started just persevering because I'd gotten so far and it seemed a shame not to finish it. But it never got better after that. Ugh.

Now I just started "The Other Boleyn Girl" too. So far I'm finding it fairly compelling, although I'm not a big fan of her writing style.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Just finished "Catching Fire" by Suzanne Collins. Again, I really loved this book. It wasn't quite as good as "The Hunger Games," but I still really liked the story. Any word on when the third one is coming out?