No March thread yet, uh?

Moderator: Malanee

Blush
TH Master

Re: No March thread yet, uh?

Post by Blush »

I can't stick with anything. I started The Nanny Returns and it was HORRIBLE. Back to non-fiction: Friends Like These by Danny Wallace, who went around the world to find his childhood best friends and reconnect. I'm only a few pages in but already it's beating the socks off The Nanny Returns.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Is the Nanny Returns a sequel to the Nanny Diaries? That book sucked, so I can't imagine the sequel being any good.

I started reading a book called "Knitting Yarns and Spinning Tales", it's a collection of non-fiction stories about knitting.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Yeah, Spudd, it's a sequel. The story picks up 10 (?) years later when Nan and her husband are considering having a baby. It's bad.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Oh man, The Nanny Diaries sucked. I can't imagine the sequel to that.

I finished Handle with Care by Jodi Picoult. It was her usual stuff, totally formulaic, melodramatic, but incredibly gripping. There was sort of a twist at the end, but it didn't piss me off as much as My Sister's Keeper did. Maybe because I was already expecting it. And it was so, so sad.

Now I just started this: http://www.amazon.com/Weight-Silence-He ... 136&sr=1-1. Anyone read it? I'm only on page 15 or so, but I like it so far. But apparently it involves bad things happening to children again. My next book HAS to be lighter than that.
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

I've just been reading "The Hollows" series by Kim Harrison (witches, vampires, fires). I'm on the 6th book. They are big books - 450 pages or so each, not short ones like the Charlaine Harris Sookie books.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished my knitting short stories book... meh. I wouldn't recommend it.

Now I started "To Kill a Mockingbird". So far (28 pages in) I'm loving it. The first few pages were a drag but now it's picked up speed.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

To Kill a Mockingbird is seriously the best book I've ever read.

Right now I'm reading Knowledge of Angels by Jill Paton Scott. So far, so good.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I just finished "The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance" by Elna Baker. It's a memoir and was a really quick, mostly lighthearted read. I enjoyed it.

I just got "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy today but haven't started it yet.
Last edited by Bugsy on Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I'm about 1/3 way into The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova. I just can't quite get into it for some reason. I didn't like her writing style in The Historian though so maybe I should just give up instead of continuing to read and be irritated.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I'm reading "Committed" by Elizabeth Gilbert, author of Eat, Pray, Love. So far it's good. I listened to Eat, Pray, Love as an audiobook, and I think that was part of its charm for me, as she has a nice voice. We'll see how this one goes the old fashioned way.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I gave up on The Swan Theives. I was halfway into the book and realized that I didn't care at all about the main character or why he was acting the way he was.

I'm reading Roses by Leila Meachem. It's total fluff about a plantantion family spanning over a few generations. I'm enjoying it.
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

I've got several things going on right now - all fluff. I read "Dear John" by Nicholas Sparks last week. His books are good for when I'm too stress/tired/whatever to concentrate. I know exactly wha to expect with him.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Last night I finished "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. Such a sad book, but I liked it. I hear there's a movie version being made?

Next up: "Alias Grace" by Margaret Atwood. I started it last night; so far, so good.