No March thread yet, uh?

Moderator: Malanee

Sílvia
Trophy Wife

No March thread yet, uh?

Post by Sílvia »

I'm reading Dr. Zhivago, but I don't think it'll last. Anyone read it? It's not exactly slow, things do happen, but I don't know, I think it's something about the writing style. Or maybe the translation. It seems so... flat. Cold. I don't know how to explain. At one point one character shoots another and I almost missed it! I had to go back a few paragraphs to check if I had understood it correctly. There was just so little emotion involved. Also, the fact that he calls each character by 3 different names is insane! I was so lost in the beginning I almost gave up. There's a list of characters in the beginning with all 3 names for each, and I have to consult it constantly. Very annoying. But I still haven't given up on it. Every night I say "ok, just a few more pages" and I got to page 180, so it can't be that bad. We'll see.

Your turn.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Re: No March thread yet, uh?

Post by Beverly »

I've haven't read it ... I keep thinking I should read all those great Russian authors, but I never get around to it.

Right now I'm reading Catching Fire, the second book in the Hunger Games trilogy. It's very good so far.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I remember when I read Anna Karenina I was confused by all the names, too. It's weird in Russia, I think. I never tried Dr. Zhivago though. I think the movie would be bad enough! I keep meaning to see the movie one of these days.

I started reading "Saturday" by Ian McEwan. So far it's really good. The prose is a little more flowery than I tend to like, but the plot is interesting and I'm really quite into it.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

I'm reading "The Last Book in the Universe" for Middle School Book club it is boring, Jon liked it though but I am bored to tears almost, not as bad as Cleaved though.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Spudd, my mom said she couldn't even watch the movie, it was so boring! That should have warned me. Bah. Yeah, I'm really thinking Dr. Z. and I don't have a future together. Oh, by the way, let me know what you think of Saturday. I like his Atonement, but I was bored to tears by A Child in Time. It was way too literary for my taste. What can I say, I tend to enjoy slightly crappier literature.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

Oh my god, you guys ... Catching Fire was SO good. But why, oh why, didn't anyone warn me not to start reading these books until the third one was out?! Waiting for the ending will be AGONIZING!
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I know, Beverly! I'm already on the waiting list at the library for when the third one comes out. There are well over 100 people on the list for it. They are really good books, for sure--so glad you've enjoyed them so far!
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Beverly wrote:Oh my god, you guys ... Catching Fire was SO good. But why, oh why, didn't anyone warn me not to start reading these books until the third one was out?! Waiting for the ending will be AGONIZING!
I know. I'm dying for the third book to come out. I think I whipped through the first two in about 3 days because I couldn't put them down.

I just finished reading "The Politician" by Andrew Young. He's the John Edwards staffer that tried to say that he was the father of John Edwards mistresses baby. The book is really interesting to hear the behind the scenes stuff and this is the second book that I've read that portrays Elizabeth Edwards as a complete psycho.
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

I lent a coworker Hunger Games this morning. Hope she likes it. I saw on the scholastic website that you can preorder the third one now. I'm also anxiously awaiting the next Sookie book in May.

I'm reading the Kim Harrison "hollows" series right now. Witches, pixies, vampires. No where near as good as the Sookie books, but entertaining. I'm on the 5th one now. I accidentally picked up the wrong one (book 7 instead of 5) and read a major spoiler in the first sentence.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Superfreakonomics and really enjoyed it. I love learning things when they are presented in an interesting way. :awesome

I have a new novel to start but I haven't cracked it yet. Has anyone read A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley?
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Ok, I started A Thousand Acres and so far, so good. Now I'm thinking they made this into a movie a few years ago? It won a Pulitzer.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

I read A Thousand Acres when it came out. I thought it was good, but not Pulitzer-worthy. I never saw the movie.

Right now I'm reading The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold. Good so far, but even just fifty pages in I can tell it's going to be gut-wrenching.
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

Beverly, I gave up on The Almost Moon right about where you are! I was like, "It's been 50 pages of cleaning poop off her dead mother. I think I can pass." I was bummed because I loved The Lovely Bones.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'm reading Handle with Care by Jodi Picoult. I said I wouldn't read anything else by her, but damn! She sucked me in. I hope the ending's decent.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Rachael wrote:Beverly, I gave up on The Almost Moon right about where you are! I was like, "It's been 50 pages of cleaning poop off her dead mother. I think I can pass." I was bummed because I loved The Lovely Bones.
I don't even think I made it 50 pages. And I loved The Lovely Bones, too.
Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

I just finished a wonderful book called the Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry. I highly recommend it!
Happiness is an inside job.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I'm almost done with Marie Antoinette by Antonia Fraser. The end is dragging a bit. I have The Swan Thieves waiting for me at the library, I'm hoping to pick it up today.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Just finished "Saturday". It was pretty good, but I thought the ending was a bit.. too literary. Most of it, though, was really gripping and a good read.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

I finished up The Almost Moon this evening. Rachael and Blush, I thought it was okay. Not great, but not terrible, either. I've never read The Lovely Bones, though (as the mother of an adolescent daughter, I'm not sure I could stand it), so I didn't have any expectations about her writing.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I recently finished "The Book of Dahlia" by Elisa Albert and wasn't overly impressed with it. It grew on me the more I read, but it wasn't a favorite of mine by any means.

I haven't started anything new yet, other than a couple wedding planning books.