April: What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Blush
TH Master

April: What are you reading?

Post by Blush »

I just finished The Unnamed by Joshua Ferris. It was really good. I like his style of writing and also loved And then we came to the end.

Now I'm reading Rush Home Road by Lori Lansens. So far it's gripping! I love her writing.
Spudd
TH Master

Re: April: What are you reading?

Post by Spudd »

I'm reading "Good to a Fault" by Marina Endicott. It's really good, and it's also Canadian, which is kinda refreshing. I have to hurry up, because it's due back to the library on Wednesday, and I have like 40 pages left. I may cave and renew but I'm hoping I won't have to.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Did I tell you guys I discovered a library branch downtown? It has tons of new/bestsellers just sitting there.....no wait list like at my local library! They had the new Jodi Piccolt (sp?) book but I decided it would just piss me off so I didn't check it out! :lol

Anyway, I read "Offical Book Club Selection" by Kathy Griffin. I like her so I I enjoyed the book - it was funny.

I just finished up "Palace Circle" by Rebecca Dean. It's historical fiction....much along the line of Phillipa Gregory books. I liked it overall but didn't much like the last chapter of the book as it ended with the point of view of a character that wasn't well fleshed out.

Right now I'm reading "In the President's Secret Service" by Ronald Kessler. I'm only a chapter or two into it so I'm not sure what I think yet.

I have "The Reliable Wife" waiting for me at the local library.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'm reading a great book that I can't recommend to you guys because it hasn't been translated into English. Bah. It's by a Portuguese author called Miguel Sousa Tavares and it's right up my alley. It tells the story of 2 brothers between 1915 and 1945 growing up rich in Portugal. Then one of them comes to Brazil on business and apparently will end up here forever and the other goes to Spain to fight in the civil war. It has a huge historical background, talks a lot about WW2 (it hasn't started yet, it's only 1936 now) and life both in Portugal and in Brazil at the time. Anyway, like I said, it's exactly the kind of book I like.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I'm still working on "Alias Grace" by Margaret Atwood. I'm about 2/3 finished with it and am really enjoying it. I really love her novels.

After this one will be "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett. I was way up there on the waiting list (or down there, depending how you look at it, I guess. I figured I'd be waiting a long time!), but then suddenly I got an email saying that it was waiting for me. Wasn't expecting that, so now I'm trying to finish "Alias Grace" so I can get this one read by the time it's due. I better get moving!
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished "Good to a Fault" - really good book. Now I'm reading "All Quiet on the Western Front" which is a war novel about WWI written by a German guy. So far it's pretty good.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Spudd wrote: Now I'm reading "All Quiet on the Western Front" which is a war novel about WWI written by a German guy. So far it's pretty good.
I think we had to watch the movie version of that in Grade Nine history class...
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Yesterday I finished "The Help" and thought it was awesome. I couldn't stop reading once I started!

Now, unless something that's on hold comes in at the library, I'm going to take a little break to try getting caught up on my magazines and also getting more wedding crap done. When there's a book to be read, that's all I want to do in the evenings!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Rush Home Road and loved loved loved it.

Now I'm reading "I love you, Beth Cooper" by Larry Doyle. It's pretty funny; I bet it could be read in an evening if you put your mind to it.
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

The movie, "I love you, Beth Cooper" SUCKED. I'll give the book a try sometime.

I just read "The Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. It was EXCELLENT.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Rach, I love, love, love The Shadow of the Wind!

I'm reading Watermelon by Marian Keyes, ten years after the rest of mankind. I'm on page 120 or so and glad the main character stopped whining about her husband leaving her. Ok, you're miserable, we get it. Can we please move on now? But she's still amusing.