It's August; what are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Blush
TH Master

It's August; what are you reading?

Post by Blush »

I just finished Sarah Silverman's "The Bedwetter: Stories of Courage, Redemption and Pee". I really liked it; she cracks me up.

I also read Carmindy's "Crazy Busy Beautiful: Beauty Secrets for Getting Gorgeous Fast". It took about 2 hours total and that was in front of the TV. Nothing in here you haven't read before, I'm betting.

Now I'm reading "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin. I went in skeptical, but so far she's winning me over. There are practical suggestions in here and research to back them up.
Spudd
TH Master

Re: It's August; what are you reading?

Post by Spudd »

I just started "Juggler of Worlds", I think it's called. By Larry Niven. So far I'm not that into it, but I'm only like 2 chapters in so far.

Rose Madder was quite a page-turner.

Bicycling Magazine's Guide to Bike Touring was so-so.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished "The Passage" by Justin Cronin. Excellent book - sci/fi end of times kind of story. I'm still not sure how I feel about the ending though.

I am currently in the middle of "The Imperfectionists" by Tom Rachman. The writing is a bit off beat but I'm enjoying it so far.

"My Hollywood" by Mona Simpson is next on my reading list.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

I just got
"The Road Out of Hell" by Anthony Flaco that appears to be about true crime

and "Under the Banner of Heaven" by Jon Krakauer which is about murder in the Mormom church/religion
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I hate it when I get books that I don't end up liking.

Tried to read "My Hollywood" by Mona Simpson. I'm in chapter 3 and I don't like it. The book flips between a mother and the nanny she hired that is from the Phillipines. So anytime it is in the nanny's narritive it's in broken english. It's driving me crazy.

I skimmed "Mommywood" by Tori Spelling. I feel like I lost brain cells just holding the book. I liked her first one "So NoTORIous" but this one is terrible.

I just started "The Ghosts of CANNAE, Hannibal and the darkest hour of the Roman Republic" by Robert O'Connell. It sounds really interesting but I'm hoping you don't have to already have a deep background in Roman history to understand and enjoy it.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'm still reading The Pillars of the Earth. It's good. Not excellent, but good. Some pages turn faster than others. I'm still on page 590 or so (it has 1070+), but now that I finished the revision job from hell I'll have more reading time again.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Happiness Project last night and started Memoirs of a Geisha. I will have to put it down to read "Globish: How the English Language Became the World's Language" By Robert McCrum, because someone has that on hold at the library and I have to get it back by the 25th.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I gave up on "The Ghosts of CANNAE". I was LOST, apparently you need to really have a good background in Roman history to read it.

I read "No Wonder My Parents Drank" by Jay Mohr in 2 days. It was good! Make me both laugh and cry. The book is mainly about his son and fatherhood.

I'm waiting for "Boardwalk Empire" to come to my local library, should arrive from the other location tomorrow. I want to read it before the series starts on HBO next month.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Memoirs of a Geisha and loved it, except it seemed to end sort of abruptly. Then I read Globish, about how English has become the language of the world. I just skimmed it really. I don't know what's next. I don't have any novels from the library so I guess I will check out my stash.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

I finished up American Wife a week or so ago and really enjoyed it. Now I'm reading Rise and Shine by Anna Quindlen. So far it's pretty good.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I finished "Dancing Girls" by Margaret Atwood (finally!) last week, and I've just started "The World Without Us" by Alan Weisman. "Dancing Girls" was all right, but it once again affirms that I tend to not like short stories much. Maybe I'm just not a good enough reader to fully appreciate them, but it always feels like I just get to know the characters and then the story ends. They're rarely fulfilling to read, unlike novels.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

April, I feel exactly the same way about short stories. Most times I just find myself thinking "ok, but then what happened?". It's annoying. I'd much rather get lost in 400+ pages.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

I hate short storiess too b/c I if they're good I want them to be longer
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Good to know I'm not alone in this opinion!
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I just read two trashy novels: "Poor Little Bitch Girl" by Jackie Collins and "Last Night at the Chateau Marmont" by Lauren Weisberger. They were both totally fluff, trashy and predictable. But I liked both of them, I needed something mindless to read.

I have "Substitute Me" Lori Tharps and "The Red Queen" by Phillippa Gregory that I just pick up from the library.

I'm anxious to read "Mockingjay" (third and final Hunger Games book) by Suzanne Collins, but I"m trying to wait to get it from the library. Doubt I will hold out!
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

I have about 100 pages left of Mockingjay, Mellen! It's going down tonight! It was $12 at Target.

It's great, but differnt from the first two books as they aren't in a game. Still lots of action and drama, of course.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I just found out they have "The Help" on hold for me at the library. I'm psyched! I was like #500 in line when I put it on hold originally. I'll be picking it up this week. I'm hoping to slam through the rest of my current book before picking it up so that I don't have to stress about finishing it before it's due.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Spudd, "The Help" was awesome; I totally loved it.

And "Mockingjay" is waiting for me at the library. :hyper They must have a million copies of it, because even though I've been on the waiting list for a good 3 months, I was still at least 90th in line. Either that or people are just blowing through it and returning it quickly. Gotta go pick it up tomorrow!
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Bugsy wrote:
And "Mockingjay" is waiting for me at the library. :hyper They must have a million copies of it, because even though I've been on the waiting list for a good 3 months, I was still at least 90th in line. Either that or people are just blowing through it and returning it quickly. Gotta go pick it up tomorrow!

I'm so jealous! I think our system only has about 50 copies and there are 390 on the waiting list (I can't see where I am anymore, they changed it to some wacky system). I always try to return books that I know have holds on them right away so hopefully I'll move up the list quickly.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Spudd, The Help is next on my list! Assuming I'll ever finish Pillars of the Earth. I like it, that's not the problem. It's just that my reading time seems to be suffering lately.