So, I'm about 100 pages into The Kite Runner

Moderator: Malanee

Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

So, I'm about 100 pages into The Kite Runner

Post by Lady Bug »

. . . and I'm slightly disturbed. This is a really engrossing story, but there are certain plot twists (that I won't get into for fear of spoiling it for someone else) that truly bothered me. Those who have read it know what I'm talking about . . . The main character has just turned 18 in the story. I'll see where it goes.

By the way, I never made it to my book club meeting - I didn't finish it in time! :P
Marie
TH Master

Post by Marie »

It is a disturbing story - but beautifully written. Stick with it.
Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

It is very disturbing, but so worth reading. I remember hating the main character for a while.
Happiness is an inside job.
Suzanne
Grand Postmaster Flex

Post by Suzanne »

I just finished it. Great book!! Keep reading it.
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

Yup I finished. Definitely the best book I've read in a while :)
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Since we like to discuss books, do you want to discuss why those parts truly disturbed you?
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

Sure :)

Spoilers Ahead!

Consider yourself warned . . .

I'm not kidding . . . I'm really gonna reveal stuff, I swear . . . .

Okay. The thing that disturbed me the most was what happened to Hassan in the alley. First off, that is the second book IN A ROW (:wtf) where that happens to a boy. But, what made this so disturbing is that it was one child doing it to another child. That is truly sick.

Oh, and how one father killed himself after his son died during their refuge from Afghanistan. That also made me very sick.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

No spoilers for me. I've read the book! :)

I think I interpret from your posts that you're shocked that those scenes even appear in books at all. The scenes certainly weren't being glorified. This stuff does exist, and I think it's important that it's acknowledged, so people can learn from it.

That's not to say that I didn't feel horrible for Hassan. :(
Last edited by Crystal Meth on Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
chickenlittle
Poster Extraordinaire

Post by chickenlittle »

Lady Bug wrote:
Oh, and how one father killed himself after his son died during their refuge from Afghanistan. That also made me very sick.
I haven't read the book and don't intend to, but are you saying that you dislike books that include suicide? I can understand being saddened by suicide, but not the point that you would go out of your way to avoid it in books. Isn't the whole point of a book to gain exposure to a different life?

In my junior year of high school, I wrote a poem about a middle-aged man who looks back on his life, decides it was a failure, and shoots himself. My teacher wrote "TRITE" across the top of it, in big letters and underlined :sad:
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

No, no . . . I'm not criticizing the fact that it was included in the book. Those things happen and are part of life. Rather, I'm just sad that it happened at all and that the characters went through such hard times that led them to those actions . . . .

Cathy, I can't believe your teacher wrote "TRITE" over your essay. Shoot, I would've called the school psych to make sure you're alright! *lol*
chickenlittle
Poster Extraordinaire

Post by chickenlittle »

Gotcha, LB. That makes sense :)

Yeah, I was kind of surprised by her reaction too. Whatever :roll:
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Yep, the scene with Hassan in the alley was definitely the most shocking part of the book. I was listening to it on audiobook (read by the author) which I think may have made it even more impactful.