It's September! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Re: It's September! What are you reading?

Post by mellenhead »

I finished up "Fly Away Home" by Jennifer Weiner yesterday. It was good but not as good as some of her other books.

I started "The Gendarme" by Mark Mustian this morning. I hope it picks up a bit because the first few chapters were painful.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Glad I'm in good company :)
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

Just fnished "the stepmother" it was pretty good..

now I have a choice of:
The Heretic's Daughter
A Soft Place to Land
and
Wicked
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'm reading The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters and I'm finding it terribly slow. Way too many descriptions and so far no action at all. But I'm only on page 76.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Anna, Read "Wicked"!!! That's one of my favorite books.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

Sílvia, I really like Sarah Waters, but I haven't read this new one. She can be a bit slow-going at times, though. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend Fingersmith by her ... man, what a good read!

Me, I'm working on The River King by Alice Hoffman, which is good so far. I almost always enjoy her books. I've also ordered The Help, since you all have liked it so much. I'll probably read that next.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Beverly, I was going to ask you about her, but I think I was in a hurry or something. Well, I'm happy to report I'm on page 123 now and something's finally happened.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

mellen... I got it b/c I forgot to take my other two to the book store while Jon was doing his Yu Gi Oh duel adn I thought of you when I saw it.
kayley
TH Master

Post by kayley »

I just finished The Romanian, which was weird, but maybe good for history lovers. Based on the life of a guy who moved to Romanian for a young (male) Romanian hustler and what happened, all the while addicted to codeine pills. I wonder whtere that book came from. I read what comes by, more than buying it myself many times, or I buy books at the used book sales that happen periodically.

I'm now reading Jack Kerouc's On the Road. I can't believe I'd never read it before. It's a quick read, it seems. Next up? No idea, actually. Maybe invisible Cities by Italo Calvino because I see it on my shelf.

I might have to order some of these books you're talking about, and have my mom bring them. Fun! booky!
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

Just finished The Heretic's Daughter it was fantastic. I don't really care for historical fiction but I love the Salem Witch Trials and it is about that and it was great.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished the Jen Lancaster book; I really like her although her books all seem the same to me.

Now I've got "No One Would Listen"; the book by the Madoff whistleblower, Harry Markopolous. I will see how far I get before we leave for vacation. I don't think it's the sort of thing I want to read on the beach.