March! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

March! What are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

Yesterday I read 29 by Adena Halpern. It was one of those Freaky Friday type stories where a 75 yo grandmother becomes 29 for a day. It was ok, not great but readable which in my funk was welcome.

I have Freedom by Jonathan Franzen in my pile next. Has anyone read it?
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Re: March! What are you reading?

Post by mellenhead »

Rowan, I read Freedom awhile ago. His writing exhausts me. It was good but man was it a fight for me to get through the entire book.

I finished The Cypress House by Michael Kyorita (sp?) It was decent. It's a "thriller" and I've read great reviews on but I think this is just a genre that I'm not that in to. I figured out the ending about half way through and I hate that.

Next up is Unbearable Lightness by Portia De Rossi.

I also have The Metropolis Case at home I need to read before it's due back. It's by a local author (I'm blanking on the name) so I do want to read it.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

I've started both At Home: a Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson and Surfacing by Margaret Atwood, but I'm not really getting a chance to read either.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Ugh. Thanks Mellen. I'm just not in the mode to struggle through a book. Guess I'll have to shoot to the library after work. Hopefully I can find something really great.
Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

I finally caught onto the hunger games, and I'm reading catching fire right now. Love it! I also just finished Room - what a strange, sad book. I'm in the middle of Margaret Atwood's Moral Disorders. I've got a couple more on the shelf. I'll update later.
Happiness is an inside job.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished Unbearable Lightness by Portia de Rossi last night. It was decent although the ending was kind of weird.

I'm going to start reading Hell's Corner by David Baldacci at lunch today since that is the book I grabbed in the dark this morning instead of The Metropolis Case. :?

Rowan, did you find anything good at the library?
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I decided to go really light and fluffy to break my funk (don't laugh!): Cum Laude by Cecily Von Ziegesar (Gossip Girl author).

I also got:

Wicked Appetite - Janet Evanovich
Diamond Ruby - Joseph Wallace
Learning to Swim - Sara Henry
Panic Attack - Jason Starr
Red Hook Road - Ayelet Waldman

Mellen, my library finally got Weird Sister - I think i'm 18th on the list though!

This book funk is really affecting the rest of my life. I need to read!!!!!!!
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Rowan wrote: This book funk is really affecting the rest of my life. I need to read!!!!!!!
Hey sometimes you need fluff! The last time I read fluff was Poor Little Bitch Girl by Jackie Collins. So bad but so good. :lol

I HATE book funks. That happened to me a few months ago and it took me like a month to finally find something I could get interested in again. Drove me nuts.

I read Red Hook Road too and really enjoyed it.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I've decided to give up on Five Quarters of the orange. I just can't get into it. I've started The Glass Castle (memoir) and I think it's going to be really depressing. But when I'm finished that I have "I think I love you" by Allison Pearson.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Blush, The Glass Castle *is* really depressing, and I thought it was going to be one of those books that stay with you forever, but I've forgotten most of it, so I guess not.

Rowan, I hope the book funk ends soon. I hate when that happens.

If I ever finish World without End I'll come play with you guys again. Only 165 pages to go now... (it's good now, don't get me wrong. It's just so damn LONG).
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished Hell's Corner by David Baldacci. It was good! Lots of twists and turns kept me guessing to the end.

I started She-Wolves: The Women that Ruled England before Elizabeth by Helen Castor. I finished the first chapter on Matilda and I'm hooked.

When I finish that I'm planning on read The Adults by Alison Espach
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I don't want to jinx myself but I did have a good reading weekend:

Learning to Swim - Sara Henry ***
Panic Attack - Jason Starr ***
Red Hook Road - Ayelet Waldman ***

Not sure what's next as I finished Red Hook Road right before bed. Probably Gods in Alabama by Joshilynn Jackson as its due next at the library.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished up "Unbearable Lightness" over the weekend. It was pretty good. Really interesting to read about the anorexic thoughts she had. It was a bit long though IMO, for what it was.

Now I'm reading "Words the Dog Knows" on Beverly's recommendation. So far I'm really enjoying it, I've laughed out loud several times. And it's Canadian! I'm always surprised when someone who's not Canadian recommends a book I've never heard of, and it turns out to be Canadian.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Now I'm reading "Words the Dog Knows" on Beverly's recommendation. So far I'm really enjoying it, I've laughed out loud several times. And it's Canadian! I'm always surprised when someone who's not Canadian recommends a book I've never heard of, and it turns out to be Canadian.
I *think* Bev read it because I did. I loved it.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

Blush wrote:
I *think* Bev read it because I did. I loved it.
Yep, totally! I seem to get a lot of good book ideas from you, Blush!
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Just finished "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo." Loved it! I had no idea this series was so suspenseful, so that was a nice surprise. Just placed a hold for the next one, so that probably won't come in for a couple of months.

And I'm still working on "What to Eat" by Marion Nestle. It's really interesting, but since "Girl..." is in such high demand, I kind of set "What to Eat" aside to be sure to finish "Girl" before it was due back.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished She-Wolves: The Women that Ruled England before Elizabeth by Helen Castor. I really enjoyed it - the only thing I didn't like was how little time she spent on Mary's reign.

Next is The Adults by Allison Espach.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Ok, I've given up on The Glass Castle. I got halfway through it but I was dreading reading it. I think I just need something lighter, so I'm going to start "I think I love you" by Allison Pearson tonight.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Blush - I just put that on request at the library this morning. Sounds really cute. Let me know what you think. I liked Glass Castles but definitely not a fun read.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished The Adults by Allison Espach. It was good! I really enjoyed all the characters and her writing style.

Next up is Blood, Bones & Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton, which is a chef memoir.