What are you reading right now? (September)

Moderator: Malanee

Blush
TH Master

What are you reading right now? (September)

Post by Blush »

I just finished The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd. I liked it, but it wasn't as richly woven as Secret Life of Bees. Most of the characters seemed sort of flat to me.

Now I'm on a fluffy chicklit: Tuesday's Child by Louise Bagshawe. It's about a tomboy who turns feminine to get a much needed job...and most likely finds love. ;-) We'll see.
chickenlittle
Poster Extraordinaire

Post by chickenlittle »

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson.

I think I'll read No Logo next, because Crystal reminded me that it's sitting on my bookshelf and I haven't read it yet.
Last edited by chickenlittle on Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I just finished In Her Shoes - I liked it. Although of the 3 JW books it is my least favorite - my fave is definitely Good in Bed.

I'm halfway through Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult. I've loved her books in the past but this one is slow to me.
Marie
TH Master

Post by Marie »

Just finished the latest Harry Potter and Janet Evanowich "Ten Big Ones"

Still reading Les Miserables.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I just finished the latest Harry Potter (it was excellent!) and am now reading "The Hatbox Letters" by a Canadian author (I forget her name). DH got it for me for my bday. So far it's not that good, but I'm hoping it'll pick up.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Blush, I didn't like The Mermaid Chair very much at all.

I just finished reading Down & Out in the Magic Kindom. It's kind of like Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy meets The Time Travlers Wife set in Disney World. It was a good quick read.

I just started Disney: The Mouse Betrayed about all the evil corporate stuff Disney does

Anyone sensing a theme here? :lol
chickenlittle
Poster Extraordinaire

Post by chickenlittle »

mellenhead wrote: I just started Disney: The Mouse Betrayed about all the evil corporate stuff Disney does
When I used to work at Books-a-Million, that book was shelved right near the customer service desk. I used to read a few pages of that book every day, when things were slow... I never made it through, though, and keep intending to see whether my library has it so that I can finish it!

Yay! They have it! I think I may go to the library this afternoon. No Logo can wait :)
Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

Still reading Les Miserables

Also reading The Clinic by Jonathan Kellerman and The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom (A Toltec Wisdom Book)
Happiness is an inside job.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'm reading Reversible Errors by Scott Turow. I think I like it, but the language is SO hard for me (cop slang) that sometimes I barely know what they're talking about. I might need your help.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I'm happy to help with lingo if you need it Silvia.
Stacy
Assless Chaps

Post by Stacy »

Reading a non-fiction called A History of the Vikings interspersed with some John Grisham (I think I have The Summons next).
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Thanks, Rowan. I'll let you know.
chickenlittle
Poster Extraordinaire

Post by chickenlittle »

I went to the library and got...

Moving to a Small Town - seems relevant, if we move to the mountains!

Disney: The Mouse Betrayed - yes mellen, I'm a copycat :oops:

The Joy Luck Club - I think I'm one of the only people on earth who has never read this!

The Lovely Bones - I'm a little skeptical, but a lot of people have said it's good

The Book of Laughter and Forgetting - they didn't have The Unbearable Lightness of Being, so I figured I'd try this instead
chickenlittle
Poster Extraordinaire

Post by chickenlittle »

Okay, Disney: The Mouse Betrayed COMPLETELY sucked. The first part was okay, if a bit sensationalist and unbelievable. The middle part was pretty boring and I skipped much of it (I don't care about the details of the movies that Miramax makes).

They completely lost me at the end. When they started denouncing the company for having gay employees, consulting with a "left-wing activist" (whose degree of evil was evidenced by him being an editor for <gasp!> The Nation, which is a damn good magazine) and complaining about Pocohantas being anti-European, I practically threw the book across the room. Get that conservative propaganda out of my house!!!!
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

CL, I decided I hated it also. I quit reading it around the Miramax part because the authors views were just so silly. After reading your view of the ending, I definitely won't bother picking it up again.
chickenlittle
Poster Extraordinaire

Post by chickenlittle »

Yeah, I skipped all of the Miramax stuff. I'd definitely recommend reading the chapter "Don't Know Much About History," because it was pretty entertaining.
Suzanne
Grand Postmaster Flex

Post by Suzanne »

I have FINALLY finished the Kite Runner. What a fabulous book!

I am going to read The Lovely Bones next. My library does not have any copies of Dress your family in corduroy and denim. *pout*
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Suzanne I'm reading Lovely Bones right now too if you want to do a mini book club. So far its good!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I'm now reading "It's my wedding too", a frothy book about a girl who is drowning in wedding plans and torn between her mother and her future mother-in-law. So far it's pretty funny. It's by Sharon Naylor, who actually is a wedding planner.
chickenlittle
Poster Extraordinaire

Post by chickenlittle »

I'm about to start The Lovely Bones, too!