June: What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Blush
TH Master

June: What are you reading?

Post by Blush »

I hate to admit this, but I just read "American Outlaw" by Jesse James. He is a dickwad, but now I understand some of the reasons he's a dickwad.

Now, to feel more wholesome, I am reading "Cutting for Stone" by Abraham Verghese. I'm on page 60 or so. It's taking a while to get into it but I'm hoping it's worth it.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Re: June: What are you reading?

Post by mellenhead »

I'm about halfway through Those guys have all the fun : inside the world of ESPN / by James Andrew Miller and Tom Shales. Overall it's pretty interesting and the way it's written makes it very easy to just skip over the not so interesting parts.

I have Bury me standing : the Gypsies and their journey by Isabel Fonseca up next.
Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

The name of the wind / Patrick Rothfuss.
Sweetheart / Chelsea Cain - part of a series on a female serial kiler
The post-birthday world / Lionel Shriver.
Booky wook 2 : this time it's personal / Russell Brand - finished, loved
The power of myth / Joseph Campbell,
The China study : the most comprehensive study of nutrition ever conducted and the startling implicat
All that is bitter & sweet : a memoir / Ashley Judd - finished, sad at times and she does seem to get on a high horse once in a while but a good read
Love, lust & faking it : the naked truth about sex, lies, and true romance / Jenny McCarthy.
Lies that Chelsea Handler told me / by Chelsea's family, friends, and other victims - finished, hilarious!
Dead reckoning / Charlaine Harris.
The peach keeper : a novel / Sarah Addison Allen.
Oogy : the dog only a family could love / Larry Levin.
Happiness is an inside job.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

I'm still working on Middlesex. It's good and I wish I had more time to sit down with it.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I read "Better Off" on my trip to Costa Rica. It's about an MIT student who decides to take a year and live in an Amish style community without using any electricity, yada yada. It was pretty interesting, but unfortunately I finished it on the plane on the way there.

Then I skimmed "Trend Following" which is an investing book, kinda. Basically it's an ad for the style of investing that this guy's company does, so not really useful. I only read like 10% of it.

Finally, I started "1984", which I've never read before. I'm loving it. It's a classic for a reason.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I've read:

PMBOK - 4th Edition

Passing the PMP exam on your first try - Andy Crowe

Passing the PMP exam - Rita Mulcahy

Can't wait to be done studying so that I can read for pleasure again!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Cutting for Stone is SO BORING. I am determined to finish it though. I have Bossypants as my reward when I'm done. ;)
Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

Blush wrote:Cutting for Stone is SO BORING. I am determined to finish it though. I have Bossypants as my reward when I'm done. ;)
Really, I was mesmerized! I hated We need to Talk About Kevin, though.
Happiness is an inside job.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Ugh, Cutting for Stone was on my list, now I don't know what to do. I loved We need to talk about Kevin, but I don't know whose taste I identify more with between you two!

I finished The Postmistress. It was boring. It had all the ingredients for a great novel (set in WW2, the stories of 3 different women, one of them reporting from London during the Blitz), but somehow it just failed to develop. It dragged and dragged and after a while I just didn't care anymore. Bah. Third bad book in a row.

Now I just started Mario Vargas Llosa's The Dream of the Celt http://www.amazon.com/Sueno-Celta-Dream ... 13&sr=1-20, which apparently hasn't been translated into English yet. I'm only 15 pages in, but I think I'll like it.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Sil, the story itself is good, but it's all the medical jargon that's getting to me. I'm skipping over descriptions left right and centre.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished up Those guys have all the fun : inside the world of ESPN / by James Andrew Miller and Tom Shales. It was good but man was it long! Loved reading the Keith Olberman stuff.

I tried to read Bury Me Standing: the Gypsies and their journey but it was so all over the place that I just gave up.

I read Sweet Vally Confidential by Francine Pascal. I grew up reading the Sweet Valley books so I thought this would be fun a read since it's set 10 years after high school. OMG, it's SO SO BAD. Were all the Sweet Valley books this bad? It wasn't even fun trashy bad, it was just BAD. :lol

I'm about 1/4 of the way into My Korean Deli: Risking it all for a convenience Store by Ben Ryder Howe. It's about a normal American guy that marries into a first generation Korean immigrant family and his wife decides to buy her mom a deli in NYC. It's REALLY good so far.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Cutting for Stone and am glad that I made it through but it really didn't grab me like it should have.

Now I'm reading Bossypants by Tina Fey and it's AWESOME. One of her theories is that blond hair is so worshipped in our society that you could 'put a blond wig on a water heater and some guy would want to fuck it." Ha!

I'm also reading What to wear, where : the how-to handbook for any style situation / by Hillary Kerr & Katherine Power ; foreword by Nicole Richie. It's kind of amusing. The book lists occasions alphabetically and gives you rules/ideas for each. The "Cold Weather" page cracked me right up. Clearly neither of them have experienced true cold weather, especially with snow and/or blustery winds. "Wear a loose cashmere beret to avoid crushing your hair." Yeah, and have 10 spares, as they will constantly blow off your head, only to turn up in the spring under a pile of melting snow and dog shit.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Blush wrote: The "Cold Weather" page cracked me right up. Clearly neither of them have experienced true cold weather, especially with snow and/or blustery winds. "Wear a loose cashmere beret to avoid crushing your hair." Yeah, and have 10 spares, as they will constantly blow off your head, only to turn up in the spring under a pile of melting snow and dog shit.
:rofl I love you, Blush!

I'm a bit more than halfway through "The Girl Who Played With Fire" by Stieg Larsson. It's not quite as good as "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" thus far, but the story is still being developed. I think shit's about to get crazy.

Also, I wish there was more time for reading! When will I be independently wealthy and not have to work??
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished My Korean Deli: Risking it all for a convenience Store by Ben Ryder Howe - definitely a good read.

I also read The Jefferson Key by Steve Berry. It's another "Cotton Malone" book, but I really enjoy his writing.

I started Attachements by Rainbow Rowell this morning on the train. It's about a IT supervisor that is supposed to read employees email and he ends up falling in love with a woman through her emails. It's pretty predictable but an easy read so far.

I just had a TON of holds come in all at once :phbtt! so I have to figure out how I'm going to get through them all before they have go back!
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

Finished Middlesex, and I really liked it. After that I've been reading Kate Atkinson's detective series with Jackson Brodie. They're pretty good -- right now I'm on the fourth one, Started Early, Took My Dog, and it's a good read so far.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Beverly wrote: Started Early, Took My Dog
I want to read that book because I just love the name so much. :lol

I've been trying to get through a bunch of holds that all came in at once at the library. I finished:

SEAL Team Six : memoirs of an elite Navy SEAL sniper by Howard E. Wasdin & Stephen Templin - I enjoyed it. Some of the stuff though I was surprised he was allowed to write about.

Stories I only tell my friends : an autobiography by Rob Lowe - Surprisingly good! Lots of behind the scenes type stuff. I've always like Rob Lowe though.

I tried to read Embassytown by China Miéville. What a mess. It's about some alien hybrid human world. I was four chapters in and had NO IDEA what was going on. I hate it when authors make up words and then don't explain what they are supposed to mean in context to the world they are trying to create in the book.

Next up is either Then Thousand Saints by Eleanor Henderson Or Robopocalypse by Daniel Wilson.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

mellenhead wrote:
Beverly wrote: Started Early, Took My Dog
I want to read that book because I just love the name so much. :lol
The title is what got me, too! :D
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Bossypants and I loved it; it was just what I needed.

Now I'm reading Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart and, well, I'm 47 pages in and I'm not sure about this thing yet.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I'm reading "I am Legend" by Richard Matheson. It's good. I really feel for the guy.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I finished Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult this morning. I know people either really like her or really don't. I admit that I'm in the "like" camp although I felt that this story was very thrown together, the husband was made out to be a moron and the pieces just fit together too well. I wouldn't recommend it. There was a soundtrack with it that you were supposed to play a song before or after each chapter. Didn't do that but interesting concept.

Next up is the Jen Lancaster's first foray into fiction...Wish You Were Here.

With losing 3 months of reading time, I'm only in the upper 30's for number this year. Have to get going as the year is half over.