It's May! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Re: It's May! What are you reading?

Post by mellenhead »

I finished Girl w/ the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played w Fire. I'm hooked. :lol I hope the 3rd book is decent as well! There are still holds on the 3rd book in my library system so I'm going to take a little break from the series and read Fair Coin and then Cinder.

I really want to read Bringing up the Bodies but I need to get in the right frame of mind for a 500+ page book about Thomas Cromwell. :D
Skye
Saddle Basket

Post by Skye »

Can I join??

Let's see, I just finished the most recent Sookie book, Deadlocked. It was ok, but nothing spectacular. I'm reading these just because I've read all of them so far.

I also finished Insurgent, which I loved. I can't wait for the next one.

Now I'm reading City of Lost Souls, which is the 5th in the Mortal Instruments series. I just started it but so far, so good.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Hi Skye! Glad to see someone "new" :)

Mellen, I think it took me a while to get into Dragon Tattoo, too. Then of course I had to read all 3!

I finished the John Grisham, which was readable but VERY predictable. Now I'm reading And She Was by Alison Gaylin and so far it's very gripping.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finally finished the Hunger Games series. I loved the first one, was so-so on the second one, and slogged through the third one. Now I'm reading Bossypants. So far it's very entertaining, and I like her style.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Welcome Skye! I just finished Insurgent and loved it....can't wait for the next one.

I'm halfway through Imaginary Girls, it's now overdue and I'm torn between finishing it. I'm in my meeting hell week so don't have a lot of time to read this week. *sigh* I guess I'll just bring it back...
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Fair Coin - E.C. Myers. It's a YA novel about a "magic" coin that will grant wishes, but it's actually taking the characters to a parallel universe. Good read but felt like the author took too long to get to the meat of the storey.

I'm about halfway through Cinder by Mariss Myer and it's very good! I came close to missing my train stop this moring!
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I just put a hold on Insurgent at my library. The city of Toronto library has 1 copy! I'm #356 in the hold lineup. LOL. I guess they underestimated the demand.
Skye
Saddle Basket

Post by Skye »

I am so adding Cinder to my list as my next purchase! Sounds right up my alley.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Spudd, you've read Divergent right? That's one you really want to have read book 1.

Yay! Glad people are liking Cinder!!!

I'm still in reading limbo as this week is crazy. I did upload 5 books to my Kindle from the library so I can just take that to Germany with me. Unfortunately they aren't necessarily the books I would pick if they were physical books but oh well.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Oh, Divergent comes before Insurgent? Thanks for pointing that out! I accidentally started Mockingjay before Catching Fire and that SUCKED.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Yes ma'am.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished "Falling Backward" by Jann Arden. It was interesting but I was expecting her to go more into detail about her brother's arrest for murder.

Now I'm reading Sarah Pekkanen's "These Girls". It's due on Sunday and someone has a hold on it so I can't renew it.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished Cinder last night - LOVED IT. Can't wait for the next book to come out. I think I read this one incorporates "Little Red Riding Hood".

Next up is Bringing up the Bodies by Hillary Mantel about Thomas Cromwell and the fall of Anne Boleyn.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

mellen, I didn't know it was Little Red Riding Hood. Cool. I like that she put the expected dates of the books on the inside of Cinder with the titles.

I finished Imaginary Girls and literally had to force myself to finish it. I didn't like it and don't recommend it. Meh.

Matched is sitting in the car for skating tonight. I have to figure out what books are coming to Germany with me - I have a few on my Kindle but don't think that will be enough so at least 2 books will need to come physically with me.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

I finally finished The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I confess, I was sort of "meh" about it. I'll probably give the sequels a go, but right now I need a break from it.

Last night I started The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes. It's supposed to be really good, so I have high hopes.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Sarah Pekkanen's "These Girls" in one day yesterday. Obviously an easy read, decent story.

Now I'm reading "The Antagonist" by Lynn Coady.
Against his will and his nature, the hulking Gordon Rankin ("Rank") is cast as an enforcer, a goon -- by his classmates, his hockey coaches, and especially his own "tiny, angry" father, Gordon Senior. Rank gamely lives up to his role -- until tragedy strikes, using Rank as its blunt instrument. Escaping the only way he can, Rank disappears. But almost twenty years later he discovers that an old, trusted friend -- the only person to whom he has ever confessed his sins -- has published a novel mirroring Rank's life. The betrayal cuts to the deepest heart of him, and Rank will finally have to confront the tragic true story from which he's spent his whole life running away.
I've read one other novel by Coady and liked it a lot so I'm looking forward to this.
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

I recently read the latest Sookie book and the latest Kim Harrison book (also set in a world of vampires, werewolves, witches, etc. but not as fluffy as the Sookie stuff).

Last week I read, "Minding Ben" by Victoria Brown. I thought it was excellent.

Then I read "Safe Haven" by Nicholas Sparks. I hate Nicholas Sparks. How does he make so much money writing the same stupid book over and over and over? But I read them when I get them for free (I think Cary's Dad gave this one to me) because they give my brain a break. This one was even worse then usual because of the identity of the lead character's neighbor in the end. STUPID. It made me mad. But I'm sure I'll read something else of his sometime.

Now I'm reading "The Problem with Murmur Lee" by Connie May Fowler.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

On the plane I read "Crossed" by Ally Condie which was ok, it's the first in the serious and YA but not as good as Divergent/Hunger Games. I'll read the 2nd in the series though. I also finished Escape by Barbara Delinsky (meh, it was ok but super predictable) last night while being driven around the German countryside.

I'm so amazed by how beautiful it is here. Seriously. I could never get tired of living among the mountains. The food though....blech. I'll try to load pics if I can remember how.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I'm about halfway through Bringing up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel. It's excellent. I love that it's from the viewpoint of Thomas Cromwell, which is someone that I don't think has been explored very much. Most books on the Tudor period that I've read focus mostly on Henry VIII or one/all of the wives.
Skye
Saddle Basket

Post by Skye »

I finished Cinder this weekend (liked it, will read the next one) and also finished Witchful Thinking, the 3rd in the Jolie Wilkins series by HP Mallory. Witchful Thinking was a quick, fun read (actually the whole series is) and worth checking out if you like paranormal type stories.