It's October...what are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Re: It's October...what are you reading?

Post by Sílvia »

I can see how being American would make it more interesting :) My mom told me when I was little (and later in life I saw documentaries) about what a huge tragedy it was to Americans, but I hadn't even been born at the time, so it's hard to care that much. But don't get me wrong, I am enjoying it. Most of it, anyway.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I wasn't born yet either...but yet still drawn to the story....
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Yes, but you're American!
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I just wanted to point out that I wasn't *that* old!!!!
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

I had a 10 day dry spell and finally went to the library yesterday. BY MYSELF. So I got three books:

The Price of Motherhood by Ann Crittenden
The Memory Palace by someone Bartok
Blue Nights by Joan Didion

Should be a nice, depressing group of books!
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Rowan wrote:I just wanted to point out that I wasn't *that* old!!!!
Silly, I know! I'm the oldest person on this board. What an uplifting thought.

:lol at Annie
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

I got that JFK book for Eric hope it makes it to the ship by Nov 6.

I still have House Rules for when I finish up my final. It's due by midnight tomorrow so hopefully Sunday.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I just got Gone Girl from the library. Looking forward to it!
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished Tell The Wolves I'm Home - excellent book! I dragged out finishing it because I didn't want it to be over.

I've tried to start The Diviners by Libba Bray a few times but I'm just not in the right mood for a book set in 1920's NY dealing with the occult and time travel. Will have to add it to my list to be read another time.

Apparently I am in the right mood for zombies as I just started World War Z and LOVE IT.

I have Judging a Book by its Lover and Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore in transit to the library holdshelf so those will be up next.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I finally finished "A Feast For Crows" by George R. R. Martin! It's the 4th in the "Song of Ice and Fire" series and was my least favorite of the books so far. It focuses on only a handful of characters, and for the most part, those tend to be the characters I'm not overly fond of and/or interested in. Some of the best characters and settings in the books' world had zero chapters. There was also a lot less action than the earlier books, so the overall story seemed to drag a bit more than I would have preferred. It was definitely good, though!

Since I start my new job on Monday, I'm going to be taking a hopefully short break from pleasure reading to get myself better acquainted with the world of pain management nursing. I'm reviewing nursing school texts and notes from lectures, and I may just order a well-reviewed book from Amazon. Apparently it's a great resource, so I might bite the bullet and buy it.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I'm currently reading A Killing in the Hills by Julia Keller and really liking it. I even read some this AM after dh woke me at 4 am. :angrywife
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished up World War Z by Max Brooks. It was quite good. I'm also just about done with Judging a Book by its Lover by Lauren Leto. It's fairly amusing and is a quick read.

Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore is STILL in transit so next up is The Cutting Season by Attica Locke.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Finished A Killing in the Hills on Friday. Two thumbs up!

I also read A light between oceans by ML Stedman yesterday/today which was great! Also two thumbs up.

Next up, I Couldn't Love You More.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished "Ellie" by Lesley Pearse and It was good, except there were tons of mistakes: spelling errors (even of characters' names), mentions of characters in the wrong settings, grammar errors...all very distracting.

Now I've started Burnt Mountain by Anne Rivers Siddons.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finally finished 11/22/63 a few days ago and I really liked it! Well, except for the draggy bits. It took me like 3 weeks to go from pages 200 to 400, and it could have been at least 300 pages shorter, and I was sick and tired of reading about Lee Oswald, but I still liked it a lot. I love time travel and alternative scenarios and stuff like that, so it was fun. And the ending was soooo bittersweet. Sniff. Under the Dome moved much faster, but the ending sucked, so for me this one was much better.

Now on to something completely different: So Much for That By Lionel Shriver. She's so character-driven, and I usually prefer plot-driven novels, but I really like her.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished The Cutting Season by Attica Locke. Meh. It was supposed to be a crime thriller but it wasn't very thrilling and the ending didn't really make sense. Oh well.

I'm heading to the library at lunch today to pick up:

No Easy Day: the autobiograhpy of a Navy Seal

The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling (Hope this is decent, though it was roundly panned by book critics)

Red Red by R.L. Stein (I loved his Goosebump books so I figured I'd give his new adult horror novel a try)
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Finished I Couldn't Love You More - I really liked it and then...it ended. Apparently this manuscript was in her "drawer" for years and she recently cobbled it back together. Hmmm....it was good but needed a bit more cobbling I thought.

Can't remember what's next in the pile...12/21 by Dustin Tomasen?
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

I'm reading "State of Wonder" by Ann Patchett. SO GOOD.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Annie, I didn't pick that up the other day at the store because it was set in the Amazon. I guess that makes me a bad Brazilian. Is there a lot of jungle talk (descriptions, etc?)