It's October...what are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

It's October...what are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

Reading the latest Linwood Barclay "Trust Your Eyes". I'm only 20 pp in or so but I always like his novels.

Annie, I'm glad to hear "Wolves" is good - I have it on my holds list at the library.
Last edited by Rowan on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blush
TH Master

Re: It's October...what are you reading?

Post by Blush »

I'm about halfway through "Dare Me" by Megan Abbott.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I'm having a hard time getting into a book for some reason. I've half started The Unlikely Pilgramage of Harold Fry and The D-Day Spies and I'm not really into either of them. And prior to those I couldn't get into Laura Lamonts Life is Pictures. I hate it when I get in a book funk.

I just got an email that Tell the Wolves I'm Home is on the hold shelf for me, and Seating Arrangements is in transit. Hopefully one of those will grab me.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

mellen, I hate book funks! Hopefully it is short lived!

Some times a really easy fluffy book helps get me out of the funk. Think YA....
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

Finished Tell the Wolves. Such a great book. Highly recommend!
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

Between school reading, I'm working on The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern and March by Geraldine Brooks.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Loving "Trust Your Eyes"...got up early today to read a bit before work.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished The Unlikely Pilgramage of Harold Fry. It was ok....nothing I'd really recommend.

I have Seating Arrangements, Tell The Wolves I'm Home and The Diviners to pick from as my next book.

I need to go to the library tonight - apparently my card expired (WTF?!) and I can't renew anything online, or add to my hold list. :angrywife
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Finished Trust Your Eyes. I really liked it! I'm never disappointed in Linwood! I need to search out more from him.

I have Seating Arrangements in the car so I'll start that at hockey tonight.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

My library's online catalogue has been down since Sunday. I can't log in to renew anything or order anything. BOOOOO.

I just finished "Dare Me" by Megan Abbot last night. It was good, but reading about teenaged girls left me feeling jittery. Next up is the newish one by Emily Giffin.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

mellenhead wrote:... The Diviners to pick from as my next book.
The one by Margaret Laurence? I LOVED that book. The entire Manawaka series was really great, but that was one of my absolute favorites from the series and really, over the last few years that I've tracked my books.

Still working on "A Feast For Crows." This one moves so much more slowly than the others have, but I'm working 3rd shift this weekend and will have almost zero work to do. I should have tons of reading time and will hopefully get it finished by the time Monday morning rolls around.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Bugsy, no this one is new, by Libba Bray. I loved her Gemma Doyle Triology (YA) so I thought I'd give this one a go. I'm going to check out the one you mentioned though!
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I lied, Seating Arrangements wasn't in my car it was a work self help. Easy read...picking up a few nuggets although geared to early career tips. Hopefully it will hit my world soon....
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

This weekend I read "Where we belong" by Emily Giffin. It was okay, if predictable. Next is "Ellie" by Lesley Pearse. It takes place in Post-WWII England with a theme of female friendship.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished Seating Arrangements and totally enjoyed it. It's a bit fluffy, amusing and sad all at once.

I think Tell The Wolves I'm Home is up next. Is this a make your cry book? Can I read this on the train? I've ended up crying (trying to hide it) reading books on the train before and man people look at you strangely !
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

Mellen, I think you'll mostly be okay.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I read Seating Arrangements yesterday and really didn't like it. As a character driven novel, I didn't like any of the characters. Mellen, glad you liked it.

I started Freak by Jennifer Hillier; 2nd in a series of serial killers (boy that was hard to write first thing in the AM).

ETA: This weekend I also completed the self-help career book "I Shouldn't Even Be Telling You This" by Kate White (editor in chief of Cosmo). I love these types of books. Crappy title because I almost didn't read it but got some good nuggets out of it (see WWTHD - NaNoWriMo post).
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I put Freak on hold to read Gretchen Rubin's new one "Happier at Home". I'm picking up a few things but she's very verbose at times and I find myself skimming (blah, blah, blah).

I have only 1 chapter left and then back to Freak.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'm slogging through 11/22/63. I found it started out well, but started dragging around page 200 or so. I have, however, some problems that you guys won't have with it: first, there are WAY too many references to American culture in the 60s that I just don't get, making for some uninteresting/difficult reading. Second, yeah, I'm not very interested in the Kennedy assassination after all :crystal (seriously, does the story need page after page about how Lee Oswald was a wife beater?) That said, I do like parts of it (mostly the ones that are NOT about Kennedy/Oswald), I LOVE time travel and I can't wait to see what will happen to our hero. Hm. I guess I'm having some conflicting feelings about this one.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Syl, I can see where you're coming from. I'm drawn to JFK assassination, etc so that was why I liked it so much.