February already! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Blush
TH Master

February already! What are you reading?

Post by Blush »

I just finished Let's pretend this never happened by Jenny Lawson and really enjoyed it.

Now I have a novel by Lesley Pearse called Camellia.
Spudd
TH Master

Re: February already! What are you reading?

Post by Spudd »

I finished "Replay" by Ken Grimwood and really enjoyed it.

Next up is "Of Mice and Men", never read it before. So far it's really good.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

I managed to leave my bag of boooks at the damn speech tournament so I'm going to buy Where'd You Go Bernadette on my phone today.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

I'm reading a terrible book called "If I Am Missing or Dead", which is supposed to be the writer telling the story of her sister's abusive marriage and disappearance but 3/4 of the book has been about the writer's own abusive marriage. Many of the stories are about him objectifying by making her get a breast enhancement and wear sexy and revealing clothes. It's verrrry repetitive and now the writer is starting to have an affair. WTF? I had a bad feeling in the first 50 pages but kept on. I should have just quit it.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I am still in a major book rut. :grumble I took two Jim Butcher books to Jamaica and only read 3 or 4 chapters of the first one. That is so pathetic! Maybe I need a Sookie book. :lol

The book club book this month is The Professor and the Madman by Simon Winchester. Its description:
an extraordinary tale of madness, genius, and the incredible obsessions of two remarkable men that led to the making of the Oxford English Dictionary -- and literary history. The compilation of the OED began in 1857, it was one of the most ambitious projects ever undertaken. As definitions were collected, the overseeing committee, led by Professor James Murray, discovered that one man, Dr. W. C. Minor, had submitted more than ten thousand. When the committee insisted on honoring him, a shocking truth came to light: Dr. Minor, an American Civil War veteran, was also an inmate at an asylum for the criminally insane.
It just came in for me at the library in audiobook format, which is awesome, because I can actually go to this one after not being able to for the last few months. I'm looking forward to this one quite a lot.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished "Of Mice and Men" on the weekend. Great book! I really liked it. And it's a quick read too, which was nice.

Started "Nemesis" by Isaac Asimov. A little sci fi. So far I'm liking it, but it's just getting started right now.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

I read the first 10 pages or so of Columbine last night and officially decided it's NOT an okay traveling/vacation book. :lol Probably not surprising but I wasn't sure. I'll have to look around and see if I have anything else I've forgotten about, otherwise I'll hit a bookstore or something for a paperback.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I can imagine Columbine really isn't a beach read. :?

I started The Iron House by John Hart at hockey last night. So far it's good. I need to make time to read this weekend because I can tell I'm starting to get cranky. Hopefully lots of snow = lots of reading?

I also did some reading on my trip:

Patient Zero - Jonathan Maberry -- I liked this one; recommended if you like zombie apocalypse, I liked the main character :jax
Gone for Good - Harlan Coben -- I usually love love love his stand alone books, this one was good but not *as* good
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Yeah, Columbine is not a vacation read!

I finished The Family Fang by Kevin Wilson. It was really good.

Now I'm in the middle of a book about Highclere castle, the one used in Downton Abbey. I love that show. The book is pretty good, I love reading about the upstairs/downstairs aspects of those old castles.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Finished Iron House by John Hart today. My first 5 star book of 2013. It's semi-violent; tinge of mob -- if that's your thing definitely pick it up.

I have 13 Steps Down by Ruth Rendell next. Never read anything by her so I'm curious.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Started 13 Steps Down last night. I really like it! I'm sure I'll read more of it during hockey today.....
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

I'm suffering my way through "Run" by Ann Patchett. Another book that I keep thinking I should just quit but then I'm just far enough along to think I should stick it out. Ugh. I'm due for a GOOD read. This one and my last were lame. The next I have queued up is "Columbine" but eh, not sure I want to read such bleak non-fiction.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

That Lesley Pearse novel took awhile, but I guess it was over 700 pages. I enjoyed it and realised partway through that it was the sequel to Ellie.

Now I am reading The Antidote. By Oliver Burkeman. The subtitle is "Happiness for people who can't stand positive thinking". Sounds like me. I am guessing this will only take a couple of days.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished People Who Eat Darkness, it's about a British girl that disappeared in Japan. Overall it was really interesting, there were some clunky parts though.

Now I'm finishing up Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle. It's quite good, it focuses on when the house was turned into a hospital during the war.

Next up is Truth in Advertising.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Finished 13 Steps - Ruth Rendell last night at hockey. I liked it up to the last few pages. Why must authors spend so much time in development of a novel only to blow it inthe last few pages. Grr....

Up next is Here I Go Again by Jen Lancaster. I"m not sure if this is non-fiction or fiction but should be light and entertaining anyway. Plan to start it at hockey today. Do you see a pattern here? :wink:
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

I started and quit "Columbine". Too dark and I'm already in a funky place with all the gray weather and a string of "eh" books. So I went to the used bookstore and got "Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight" and "Freedom". I started "Freedom" last night and so far, so good. The writing style reminds me of Bernadette.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Annie, is Freedom a Jonathan Franzen book? I think I read that and really liked it.

I finished Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle. It was quite good and gave a ton of details on Highclere.

Since Truth in Advertising is *still* showing as "in transit" to my library I picked up something else to read, planning to start Breasts: A Natural and Unnatural History by Florence Williams tonight. It looks at breast cancer, breast milk, the toxins that are being found in the milk, etc. It looks VERY interesting.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

Yeah, that's the one, Mellen.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Finished Here I Go Again by Jen Lancaster. There were a few funny parts but I just thought it was ok. It was fiction and took place in the 80s kind of a mashup of ROmy and Michelles/Freaky Friday.

I'm reading Heart of a Killer by David Rosenfelt about a woman in jail for murder who wants to give her critically ill daughter her heart to save her life. I'm really enjoying it. Let's hope Mr Rosenfelt doesn't let me down in the end.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

So Mr. Rosenfelt didn't really disappoint although it was only a 3.5 star. It's ok...I will look for more by the author.

I have a buttload of books from the library but not sure what's next.