March! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

March! What are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

Yay, it's March...hopefully will mean Spring for those in NA.

I switched from Burn Palace to Touch and Go by Lisa Gardner. I haven't abandoned Burn Palace....I just needed something simple for my trip this weekend. I'm liking it a lot. I've read a few from the author but very sporadic. She has 2 different series and a series of stand alones; this is a stand alone. I need to search her out a bit more actively.
Spudd
TH Master

Re: March! What are you reading?

Post by Spudd »

I'm still in the middle of "19 Minutes" by Jodi Picoult. It's okay, but nothing's really happening.

I just saw on the library website that "Where'd You Go, Bernadette" is on its way to me. Looking forward to getting it!
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Yay...you'll like Bernadette!

I didn't mind 19 minutes but I've since stopped reading Picoult. I went through many years of loving her stuff but then the last book (something about wolves) just really annoyed me. I keep seeing that her new one is out, but I'm determined not to read it. And don't even get Syl started....
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I liked the first couple Jodi Piccoult books I read, and then I realized they all follow the same formula, so I knew exactly what was going to happen.

I'm about halfway through "Flies on the Butter" by Denise Hildreth. The story is told through flashbacks as a woman drives from her high powered Washington job to her family home in South Carolina. Everyone is waiting for her, but I'm not sure yet why that is.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I can't read Jodi Piccoult anymore either. My Sisters Keeper was the one that did her in for me.

I gave up on Truth in Advertising. His writing and constant celebrity and product name drops annoyed me.

Up next is either Schroder or With or Without You.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished "Flies on the Butter." All the way through I kept thinking, "well, that part was a little heavy on the God talk." Turns out it's classified as Christian Fiction. :doh

And now for a palate cleanse, "The Science of Yoga." I think I'll just skim it but if it grabs me, it grabs me.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Blush, that's too funny!

I finished Touch and Go last night. I really enjoyed it and will actively seek out more Lisa Gardner.

Next up is Shadow Creek by Joy Fielding.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

:lol at Blush!

I'm simultaneously reading: Boys Adrift (good) and Let's Not Go to the Dogs Tonight (very good, very depressing).

I read such uplifting stuff!!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Science of Yoga. It was interesting, yet doesn't really settle much of anything.

Now I have "Always something there to remind me" by Elizabeth Harbison. I'm pretty sure it's not Christian Fiction. ;)
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I'm still in the midst of "19 Minutes", but Bernadette came in for me at the library! I'm torn about whether I should try to slam through the rest of 19 Minutes or put it aside. And then another book came in too (but non-fiction, so if I don't get to read it in time, no big deal - hopefully it will be renewable).
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished up two books:

Schroder (can't remember the author's name) - About a guy that comes to the US from Germany as a young boy but never becomes a citizen, and how he takes on a new persona, gets married, has kids etc and never tells anyone. Of course it all comes crashing down. The book was ok, nothing I'd really recommend but it had it moments.

Pigeon in a Crosswalk - Tales of Anxiety and Accidental Glamour by Jack Gray - This is a memior by the guy the produces Anderson Cooper 360. It has it's very funny and relatable moments but just tries too hard to be funny in others. It's a good quick read.

Next up is With or Without You (again). I keep putting it off because I just haven't been in the mood for something depressing.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

I finished "Let's Not Go to the Dogs Tonight" (thank God, I'm tired of typing that out). Next up is Dear Sugar. Also, still finishing up Boys Adrift.

edit: it's "Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight". :angrywife

edit II: The new book is called "Tiny Beautiful Things" by Cheryl Strayed.

Stupid pregnancy hormones. :loony
Last edited by Annie on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I ditched Shadow Creek pretty quickly. I'm solidly into Objects of my Affection. I was wary as the main character annoyed Blush but I'm ok with her. It may be that I have this fascination with hoarding. Dunno.

I think I need to get to the library tomorrow....
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

I finished Where'd You go Bernadette. I liked it. I wanted it to be longer but it was fine :)
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished With or Without you by Domenica Rutta. Meh. It's a memior about her growing up with a crazy mother and was somewhat interesting but it jumped around WAAAY to much.

Next up is The Dinner by Herman Koch.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Finished Objects of My Affection. It was fine.

Not sure what's next on my list. The automated library system is down so I can't check when my books are due, place holds, etc. Since I use that system to track when things go back (they no longer stamp books), I don't know when anything is due. I decided to bring back everything I have that I got before this past Saturday's trip. It's been down for a week and certainly a bummer.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Started The Neighbor by Lisa Gardner last night. It's good. Dr appt this afternoon and hockey tonight so I'm sure I'll get some good reading in.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Yesterday I came down with a wicked bad cold, which sucked. But on the bright side, I got a lot of reading done. I finished "19 Minutes" and was left kinda meh by the ending. The whole book was kinda meh, really.

Started "Where'd You Go, Bernadette" and loving it. I'm about half-way through.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Glad you're liking Bernadette!
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

Bernadette seems to be an all-around hit! Yay!

I'm just about finished with "Tiny Beautiful Things". Oh my goodness you guys. I HIGHLY recommend it. My capacity for empathy is already pretty high but I've found that it's caused me to be more empathetic to *myself*, something I didn't realize I was lacking in.

Rowan, you should put this book HIGH on your list for reading ASAP. You need it. You too, Mellen.