April! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

April! What are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

I've decided to never read another book again...ever. Never.
Spudd
TH Master

Re: April! What are you reading?

Post by Spudd »

What's up with that, Ro?

I finished "Sense and Sensibility" a few days ago. I enjoyed it, for what it was. It's not a thrilling page-turner but it held my interest.

I just got "May We Be Forgiven" from the library and am probably like 20% into it so far. This is a crazy book. I got it from Rowan's book faceoff link earlier. SO MUCH has already happened. So far I'd recommend it, although I'm not sure what the heck is going to happen for the rest of the book. What's happened so far would have been enough for a book in itself if they had dragged it out more.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Rowan wrote:I've decided to never read another book again...ever. Never.
:faint What happened?

I finished When did I get like this? The screamer, the worrier, the dinosaur-chicken-nugget buyer and other moms I swore I'd never be by Amy Wilson. It was pretty amusing.

I just started Nicholas and Alexandra - The story that ended and empire by Robert Massie.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

I think it's an April Fool's joke. :)

I'm still in the first 100 pages of "So Much For That" by Lionel Shriver. I haven't been reading much the last week or so. Blah.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I think it's an April Fool's joke.
teehee!

I finished Catch Me by Lisa Gardner. I'm reading her series out of order and feel that it's catching up to me. Her books *can* stand alone but there's a backstory that I can't really follow.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I'm really enjoying The Best Laid Plans by Terry Fallis. It's funny and quick.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

Um, I read a couple of eroitca books, I don't know their titles. I need ERic to come home.

I'm also reading a little of Tim Gunn's Fashion Bible each night, I really like it.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I enjoyed The Best Laid Plans and now I'm reading "Selling the Dream" by Ken Campbell. It's a look at hockey in Canada and the lengths people are going to get their kids into the NHL. So far I'm riveted.

ETA I also have "May we be forgiven" to read next.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Lots of plane reading today.

Finished Six Years by Harlan Coben. I hated to bring it because it is a library book and heavy but I had started it last night and it sucked me in so I brought it. I really like his stand alone books. This wasn't necessarily my favorite but enjoyable and a quick read.

I also read When It Happens to You by Molly Ringwald. Yes, that Molly Ringwald. She's a good writer. I had heard good things about it and glad I read it. It is a collection of interconnected stories.

I started Night Circus at lunch.

Can you tell I loaded up my Kindle before leaving. I also have:

The Litigators by John Grisham
Cutting for Stone - Abraham Verghese
The Bride Collector - Ted Dekker
Outliers: The Story of Success - Malcolm Gladwell

I plan on plowing through a lot of them.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Outliers will not take you long at all.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

Outliers is a good, easy read. There's a part about Canadian hockey in there that you'll probably find interesting. :)
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Thanks for the comments re: Outliers.

I'm really loving The Night Circus. I tried reading it a few months back and put it down. I guess this was the right time because I'm really speeding through it.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

:yay Rowan, it's great to hear that you like it! How far into it are you?
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just read a section in "Selling the Dream " that debunks claims in Outliers as they pertain to hockey. It's very interesting!
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

I'm reading Oahu revealed.

And also Bitch on Wheels (true crime)
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Selling the Dream last night and it is a must read for those interested in hockey. Other sports are mentioned as well but it looks at minor hockey, the CHL and the NCAA system, as well as general attitudes, stats and costs involved for each.

Then I started May we be forgiven more and I am hooked. I think it was Spudd who said she did not know how the pace could be kept up, though, and I have to agree. Guess I'll find out.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Ugh, I ended up skipping several sections of Wild Swans. Too much history and not enough memoir for my taste. I can't stand this book rut anymore :tearhair

I started a book by a Spanish writer that hasn't been translated into English yet. Her name's María Dueñas and I loved her other book, so I'm hopeful.

Edited to clarify: THIS book hasn't been translated yet. Her other famous novel has, and it's called both The Seamstress and The time in between. It must be one of those US vs. UK things. Anyway, it's highly entertaining.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

16. Bitch on Wheels: The Sharon Nelson Double Murder Case by Gregg Olson

True Crime about a woman who has two of her husbands killed. Pretty good story actually and it's interesting to see a female sociopath.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Love, love, loved Night Circus! One of my favorites so far this year. I highly recommend and if you can't get into it right away, give it another shot. I promise it's worth it.

Not sure what's next on deck. I read 3 books this week so I'm feeling a little burned out. I'm trying to focus my energy on house hunting again... :unsure
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Rowan wrote:Love, love, loved Night Circus! One of my favorites so far this year. I highly recommend and if you can't get into it right away, give it another shot. I promise it's worth it.
:clapping So glad you liked it! It was awesome for listening to while commuting, that's for sure. Good luck house hunting if you decide to do it again.