April! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Re: April! What are you reading?

Post by mellenhead »

I hope you like Vampires, Rowan. I really really enjoyed it.

I finished up The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England - A Handbook for Visitors to the 14th Century, it was pretty good. Lots of little tidbits about clothing, illness, etc.

I just picked up Her - a memoir about the writers identical twin sister that dies. It's supposed to be pretty good.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished The Accident by Linwood Barclay. I think I will keep him in mind for vacations; it's easy reading suspense.

Next up is Here I Go Again by Jen Lancaster. It's her second novel, but I haven't read the first one. I've read her memoirs and they all seem the same after a while so I'm curious to see what her fiction writing is like.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished Her: A Memoir. I liked it but the beginning read like fiction, a little too over the top.

Next up is George, Nicholas and Wilhem: 3 Royal Cousins and The Road to WW 1.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Started Reconstructing Amelia. Not sure what to think....
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I'm still in the midst of "The Night Circus" and it's okay but I don't love it.

Over the weekend I also read 2 non-fictions:
- Do What You Are - uses Myers-Briggs personality types to tell you what kind of job you would like
- The Little Book of Common Sense Investing

Both were very good.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

I just finished "A Thousand Lives". It was about Jonestown. It was EXCELLENT. Really fascinating read. My only complaint was that there were a lot of names to keep track of and the name "Jim" was very common and the author wasn't great about differentiating between them.

Before that I read "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks". Overall I really liked it, though some of the biology stuff lost me. I wish there had been some scientific diagrams or something. Or maybe that would've turned people off. :lol
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Annie, I actually worked with HeLa cells in my undergrad/grad work (most cell biologists have touched them in their career). I was really excited to read the book when it came out a few years ago. I have to say I was really disappointed in the way she treated/referred to Henrietta's family. She did a lot of great research but could have used a bit more tact/empathy when talking about the family. Glad you liked it....

I'm still on Reconstructing Amelia. I discovered Word Mole on my bb this weekend and that is eating up my time.....
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I really liked the Henrietta Lacks book (listened to the audiobook last year). I cried my eyes out at the end of it. It is just such a sad story.