Re: May! What are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

mellen, whatcha got on your hold shelf? :hyper
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Rowan, I've got:

Wool by Hugh Howery (did you read this? Seems like people love it or hate it)

How to Creat the Perfect Wife (heard about it on NPR)

Frozen in Time: An epic story of survival and a modern quest for the lost heroes of WWII

Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal - Mary Roach
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Cool I've heard about all the the Perfect Wife one. I haven't read any of them. I have seen that people either love or hate Wool too.

Enjoy!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I'm still reading Jim Gaffigan's book, but I had to read The Crowning Glory of Calla Lilly Ponder by Rebecca Wells, because it is due. I've only ever read one other of hers (one of the Ya Ya's). It was good. A bit kooky, but pulled at the heartstrings.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

My reading progress has slowed way down. Lots of stress, fatigue and extra TV watching.

I finished "The Autobiography of Us" earlier this month. It was decent. Nothing too thought provoking but it held my attention well enough.

I'm currently reading "The Light Between Oceans", which has really good reviews on GoodReads. It's an interesting story and is well written but for some reason, it feels thick as mud to get through. I guess the problems for me are 1. it's set in the 1920's in Australia so there's a lot of vocabulary and dialect that I don't understand. Plus there's a lot of lighthouse metaphors and symbolism that just don't do it for me. The other issue is that I don't really like the protagonists very much. I can't imagine that's what the author intended but there's just a disconnect for me and I think they're kind of shitty. And the shittiness hasn't been examined enough for me to buy-in to the overall concept.

Anyway, I should be done with it soon and then I have 3 library books sitting on my nightstand waiting for me that seem much more enticing. If I hadn't paid money for this current book, I would've probably given up on it. :lol
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'm still logging through The Stand. Page 830 or so now. It started out really well, but now I'm at that point where I'm about to scream "get to the point, Mr. King!" I knew that would happen in a 1400+ pages novel by him. Don't get me wrong, it's interesting overall. I like the apocalypse (sp) scenario, it's just the supernatural details that make me yawn. I definitely want to finish it, I just have no idea how long that will take.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Funny Annie, I just finished The Autobiography of Us. I liked it but wasn't thrilled with it. I really liked the Light Between Oceans but I remember the Australian dialect was wonky. Sometimes I just need mindless tv too - give in to whatever relaxes you! You're generating life right now - hard work!

I have a bunch of books waiting to be read. Next up with The Hit by David Balducci not necessarily because i want to read it next but there are 54 people waiting for it so if I don't read it now I won't get it back until January!

I didn't read as much this weekend as I thought I would but that's ok.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

LOVED Wool, I read it in under a day. If you like dystopian type books check it out. The authors story is pretty interesting too, he self published the book in sections and then a book company optioned the book for print sales, but he retained all the rights/profits to e-book sales.

Frozen in Time - Good book, enjoyed it

I'm about 1/4 of the way into How to Create the Perfect Wife and I hope they start getting into the meat of the story soon because the author has been repeating herself for a good 2 chapters at this point.

Last night I picked up: Me Before You, Life After Life and Reconstructing Amelia.
Last edited by mellenhead on Fri May 31, 2013 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished the Jim Gaffigan book; it was funny for the most part. Probably funnier for those who have kids.

Next up is What the nanny saw by Fiona Neil.
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

mellenhead wrote:I finished Dead Ever After, which is the last Sookie Stackhouse book. Meh. I didn't much like the ending. Don't want to put anything else since I'm not sure if anyone else reads the series.

Next up is The Plantagenets - The Warrior Kings and Queens Who Made England.
I liked the end. I thought it wrapped everything up really well. I love her with Eric, but was okay with how it ended. It seemed natural to me - like that was the person she needed to be with to have a "normal" life.

Cary hated the movie version of "John Dies at the End" (I didn't know it was a book.) I tried to watch it and quickly abandoned it. He watched the whole thing, but was ticked off that John did not die at the end.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Rach, I just hated that she SO marginalized characters that were such a HUGE part of the series. They were hardly in it at all. Plus I thought the writing was just so poor. :shrug