June - what are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Spudd
TH Master

Re: June - what are you reading?

Post by Spudd »

I finished "The Age of Miracles" last night. It was good, but I felt the ending was a bit unresolved. I was okay with it, though.

I have "What the Nanny Saw" waiting for me at the library so I'll start that tonight.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I got word that two holds are in for me, and I'm almost finished my Terry Fallis book. The two holds are "The Mystery of Mercy Close" by Marian Keyes, and "Sharp Objects" by Gillian Flynn. I don't expect either to take me too long but it's going to be hard to decide which one to start with.

I also have A Soft Place to Land by Rebecca White, but I think that will be renewable.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

I'm taking a break from school stuff and reading a novel! I'm working on The Interpretation of Murder by Jed Rubenfeld. It's a mystery set in New York in 1909. Freud and Jung are two of the main characters, and there's a lot about psychoanalysis, obviously. It has the potential to be really good, but the writing is kind of awkward. Still, it's okay.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished the Terry Fallis book. I do enjoy his writing.

I'm going to read A Soft Place to Land at least until I pick up my holds.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I read Crazy Rich Asians today. I liked it -not sure whats next.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished The Good Nurse, it was interesting and scary (I never want to stay in the hospital) but the writing wasn't anything great.

Also read Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn. Holy unsettling book. I thought it was better than Gone Girl.

I am officially out of books to read for the night. A trip to the library has to happen tomorrow night.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I started The 5th Way by Rick Yancy this weekend. I like it so far but I seem to keep putting it down to do something else. Will probably finish it at hockey tonight.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finally finished The Stand after 2 long months! :yay I thought I was going to need a support group to help me finish it, but no! The first 300 and the last 200 pages were interesting, but the 900 inbetween were booooring. And I kept falling asleep after 5-10 pages every night. Hence the 2 months. It was interesting enough that I wanted to see how it would end though, so I kept reading, but geez. It's SO juvenile and silly, I can't believe all the hype (sorry, Rowan). The guy can write when he wants to, so why can't he 1)be less wordy and 2)skip the foolishness. A "devil" who can levitate and read people's minds? Give me a break. I only kept reading because I liked the apocalypse scenario.

Now on to Room. I hope I like it. I haven't liked a book this year yet. I don't even mean love, just like :angrywife
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished A soft place to land, by Susan Rebecca White. I really enjoyed it, and it was a quick read.

Next I think I will start the Gillian Flynn book that Mellen just finished.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

I finished "What Alice Forgot". It wasn't bad. Nothing amazing but it held my attention.

Started "American Wasteland" about food waste in America. I got through one chapter last night. :lol It's interesting but you know...sort of sleep inducing too. ;)
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Not sure if I posted that I finished "Among Others" by Jo Walton. It's for this month's book club, which meets on Sunday. I enjoyed this--cute story, and a sympathetic protaganist. It would have been even better if I were more experienced with sci-fi authors and books, because those were referenced A LOT in this book.

I've long wanted to re-read the entire Harry Potter series from start to finish, but I've elected to do so on audiobook instead. First book finished yesterday, second begun. So fun to re-experience these books!

And I've just barely started the 5th book in "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. It's called "A Dance with Dragons," and it's looong. It's gonna take me a while to get through!
Last edited by Bugsy on Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I started The Woman Upstairs by Claire Messud last night. It's kind of giving me Notes on a Scandal (only saw the movie, not sure if it's based on a book) type vibes.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

"American Wasteland" is turning out to be a terrible book. The writing is awful and jumps around a lot. It's like making sense of scribbles. THANK GOD, I got an email that 2 of my holds are in at the library. One is "What the Nanny Saw", the other is "Brain on Fire". Which to start first??
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Brain on Fire is good! I haven't read the other, it's on my hold list.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I'm a ways into the nanny book and it's just okay to me. It starts off really confusing because she tells it in backflash format so the first chapter is in the future and we have no clue who any of the people are.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

Spudd wrote:I'm a ways into the nanny book and it's just okay to me. It starts off really confusing because she tells it in backflash format so the first chapter is in the future and we have no clue who any of the people are.
Oh great. I bet I'll quit this book too. But it's a 14 day loan so I'll start it first.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

The Woman Upstairs was quite good. I'm still thinking about it, I thought it was pretty complex.

I just picked up: Someone Could Get Hurt - a Memoir of 21st Century Parenthood - Drew Margary, Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls - David Sedaris, Revenge Wears Prada - Lauren Weisberger and Worlds Strongest Librarian - Josh Hangarne.

Not sure what I'm in the mood for first.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

This morning I finished Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn. It took me about 75 pages to get into it but then I couldn't put it down. I opened it up in bed this morning and didn't get up until I was done.

Next up is the latest from Marian Keyes.