June - what are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Annie
Noodles and Corn

June - what are you reading?

Post by Annie »

I finally finished "The Light Between Oceans" a couple nights ago. UGH. It wasn't a bad book but for some reason it felt like a chore to read.

Last night I started "People Who Eat Darkness". True crime story about a young woman who goes missing in Tokyo. I think Anna recommended it?
Spudd
TH Master

Re: June - what are you reading?

Post by Spudd »

I'm reading "The Signal and the Noise" by Nate Silver, buti won't have time to finish it before I go on vacation and it's due back before my return. Unfortunate. It's interesting, but kinda boring too.

I just got "The Fault in our Stars" and will be reading that on vacation next week, among presumably a bunch of other stuff that I haven't figured out yet.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I'm reading "Among Others" by Jo Walton for book club. It's very good so far but references a ton of sci fi authors and writings, and most of the references are lost on me.

I got "The Wild Things" by Dave Eggers on audiobook for the drive to my hometown today. It's pretty short, so I'm on the second-to-last disc already. It's all right, but I'm not loving it. I'm going to start listening to the entire Harry Potter series on audiobook once it comes in at the library.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Finished The Hit by David Balducci. It was ok. Another author that has fallen into boilerplate. :(

Now I'm reading The Death of Bees. So far so good....
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished What the Nanny Saw by Fiona Hill. I couldn't put it down. It was about the financial crisis from the perspective of the nanny to a wealthy investment banker's family.

Next up is Amity and Sorrow by Peggy Riley. Pretty sure someone here has read it...
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Blush, I read What the Nanny Saw too!

I finished The Death of Bees. I really liked it. Not sure if I'm just gravitating towards books that have main characters that you just don't like or whether that's the new "thing".

Up next is The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window....
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I think I need to add What the Nanny Saw to my hold list!

I finished How to Create the Perfect Wife. It was ok....a bit dry.

I'm about halfway through Reconstructing Amelia. It's pretty good so far.

I need to get moving I've got Me Before You, The 5th Wave, The Kings and Queens of Roam and The Teleportation Accident out from the library.

ETA: Finished Reconstructing Amelia tonight (i got to go to a coffee shop ALONE and sit near a big open window, it was bliss..ANYWAY...) and I wasn't a huge fan of the ending. It was a decent book but I feel like the author tried to tie too much together right at the end.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished Me Before You. It was ok.

Next up is The 5th Wave. It's supposed to be the next big thing in YA dystopian novels.....we'll see.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Finished The 100 Year Old Man Who... last night. It was ok. I found myself really skimming the end.

Up next is the Tao of Martha by Jennifer Lancaster. I have a couple books waiting for me at the library.

mellen, coffeeshop + big window + book + alone = bliss
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey.. It was just ok....basic idea of the book is interesting but the writing was a little wonky. I doubt I'll bother with second book in the series when it comes out.

I started The Kings and Queens of Roam by Daniel Wallace. It seems pretty good but a bit off the beaten path. Not sure I'm really in the mood for this kind of book right now.

Someone at work lent me Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn - have heard a few different times that it's better than Gone Girl so I'm anxious to read it (and it's short!).
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Finished Tao. Her early memoirs are certainly better but I just felt that I was catching up with a friend. There were some funny parts and I really enjoyed it.

Up next is Big Brother by Lionel Shriver. I typically love her stuff so I'm looking forward to it.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished The Kings and Queens and Roam. Good, but strange.

I'm about 1/4 of the way in to Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan. It's great so far, seems like the perfect summer book.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

mellen, I put that on my library hold list.

I'm nearly done Big Brother and not quite sure what to think about it yet. I'll finish it tonight.

M is at Grandparent Camp this week so its all about reading (and bingeing on Netflix) while he's away.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I read a ton of books on vacation, but the ones I want to highlight are:

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green - absolutely loved this
Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (sp?) - dystopian teen novel, enjoyable
The Age of Miracles by Karen someone - I'm only halfway through this one, but finding it very fun. I do question the physics at times, but I try to suspend my disbelief. :)
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Oooh, I'm going to put The Fault in our Stars on hold.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

The Age of Miracles by Karen someone - I'm only halfway through this one, but finding it very fun. I do question the physics at times, but I try to suspend my disbelief. :)
I really enjoyed that book too, also against my better judgement. The concept was sort of fascinating (even when it sparked a lot of questions/doubt for me) and it borders on apocalyptic too, so that suited me. Fun read!
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished Crazy Rich Asians - I really enjoyed it and actually like the ending. Good summer book.

Next up is either The Good Nurse (true story about a nurse that killed a bunch of his patients over the years) or Bobcat (short stories).
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Finished Big Brother. Not my favorite Lionel Shriver. Don't really recommend....

I have The World's Strongest Librarian up next. Crazy Rich Asians is waiting for me at the library.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I started and finished Bobcat last night. It was good - the authors writing is beautiful but I just felt like every story in the book was left completely without any sort of an ending. Reminded me of why I get annoyed at short stories.

I'm starting The Good Nurse - A True Story of Medicine Madness and Murder this afternoon.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Almost finished The World's Strongest Library last night. I like it outside of the Mormon stuff which I'm skimming. It's a nice insight of what it's like to have Tourette's.