July! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Spudd
TH Master

Re: July! What are you reading?

Post by Spudd »

Annie, did you end up reading the nanny book? I finished a couple of weeks ago and thought it got better as it went along, but still wasn't a huge fan.

Similarly, once that was done I read "Queen of Kings" which is a very strange historical fiction where Cleopatra turns into a vampire. Just finished that one today. Would not recommend it.

Next up is "Me Before You" by Jojo Moyes (sp?). Hoping it will break the meh books streak.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished The House at Tyneford by Natasha Solomons. I enjoyed it, though the ending felt a little rushed.

Next up is The fault in our stars.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

Spudd, I didn't stick with it. I really didn't like it in the first 30 pages and then I made the mistake of reading all the bad reviews on Goodreads.

Sometime last week I started Reconstructing Amelia and finished it on Saturday. It was a really good summer read.

Next up is "Me Before You".
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Make sure to post about "Me Before You." I will be next in the book club rotation and am considering this one. I remember a few others here enjoying it earlier this year.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I started The Fault in our Stars last night and finished it today. My only complaint is that teenagers don't speak so eloquently, but I guess that's small potatoes.

I can't remember offhand what else I picked up on Friday but I will start it tonight.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I finished Always Watching by Chevy Stevens. I've read a few of hers before and liked them. This one was just ok.

Next up is Life After Life by Kate Atkinson. Then I need to get to the library as I have nothing left!
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani and enjoyed it.

Next up is Big Brother by Lionel Shriver.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I started "The Dinner" by Herman Koch last night. It's very intriguing, and I think this is going to be another quick read. I'm having a good run!
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I just finished Maya's Notebook and I LOVED it! Best book in a long time. Everybody, go read it:

http://www.amazon.com/Mayas-Notebook-No ... el+allende

And by the way, that summary kinda sucks. It doesn't do it justice.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I don't think I have read so many books so quickly since I was a kid on summer holidays. I just finished The dinner by Herman Koch. It was very very good.

Next up is Beachcombers by Nancy Thayer. And then I have 4 books to pick up at the library on Thursday; it's across the road from the dentist.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Just put Maya's Notebook on hold!
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Blush, I liked The Dinner a lot too!

I started Life After Life by Kate Atkinson last night and just couldn't get into it. The whole time I was WTF is going on.

Nothing left at home....must get to the library tonight!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Spudd wrote:Just put Maya's Notebook on hold!
Me too! Man, I am number 1 in the queue for seven different books. They'd better not come in all at once. Tomorrow I pick up Maeve Binchy's "A Week in Winter" and "Learning to Swim" by Sara J. Henry.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Rowan wrote:I started Life After Life by Kate Atkinson last night and just couldn't get into it. The whole time I was WTF is going on.

Same here. I bailed after about 50 pages. There have been a ton of books on the "hot summer reading lists" that I've not been impressed with. (Life After Life, Reconstructing Amelia, The Interestings...)
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

mellen, thank you made me feel better. Didn't like Amelia either but I did like The Interestings.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Spudd and Blush, yay! I hope you guys like it. Have you read anything else by her?

I started Flight Behavior by Barbar Kingsolver and I'm not getting into it. I'm on page 65. And I came to the beach today and didn't bring anything else, so I'm stuck with it until Friday or Saturday, when we're going home. I can't believe I did this again! What an idiot!
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Silvia, I'm sorry that stinks! But that's why you never just travel w ith one book.... :jax

I got The Engagement by J. Courtney Sullivan to start at hockey tonight. I'm excited! I also picked up a pile of 10 or so books at the library last night.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Ro, I know! But I was taking the bus here because I'd left my car here (went back home with Niko on Sunday, it seemed like a waste to drive both cars) and my aunt had asked me to bring back Maya's Notebook if I was done with it, and bringing 3 books in a backpack seemed heavy, so I just brought 2. Not that you asked :) And btw, Flight Behavior still sucks :angrywife. Unless something extraordinarily gripping happens in the next 20 pages, I'm dropping it. So far half the book is the protagonist complaining about her MIL. I already DO that in real life, I don't need my fiction to be about that!
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Liking The Engagements!
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Sil, I didn't like Flight Behavior either (and I'm a big Kingsolver fan!).

I'm about 3/4 of the way through Big Brother by Lionel Shriver. Not sure how I feel about it yet. I thought it was really good in the beginning but now some of the characters are really getting on my nerves.

Rowan - I have The Engagements waiting for me at on the hold shelf - I need to get to the library this weekend!