July! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

July! What are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

I started Sisterland this weekend. So far I like it but it's a bit slow....
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Re: July! What are you reading?

Post by mellenhead »

Rowan, I will be interested to hear what you think when you finish. I really liked American Wife and Prep but this one sounds a little odd.

I'm about 3/4 of the way done with Someone Could Get Hurt - A Memoir of 21st Century Parenting by Drew Magary. It's pretty funny and a quick read.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finished Room last night. It was excellent. First book I liked in several months :angrywife Should have read it sooner.

Then I started Maya's notebook by Isabel Allende. I used to love her stuff, but haven't read any in years. We'll see.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished Someone Could Get Hurt - A Memoir of 21st Century Parenting by Drew Magary. It was amusing and an easy quick read.

Next up is Revenge Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger. I'm in the mood for something mindless and I think this will do it!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished Mystery at Mercy Close by Marian Keyes. I loved it like I love all her books; I just love the dialogue and it cracks me up.

Next up is He's Gone by Deb Caletti. It's suspense, I believe.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished Revenge Wears Prada - it was boring and predictable. If you liked The Devil Wears Prada don't bother reading this, it'll just irritate you.

Next up is Worlds Strongest Librarian.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

I finished Brain on Fire. It was excellent!! Really fascinating on a lot of levels. The most interesting to me was her writing about the merging of psychology and neurology and the growing science behind it.

Tonight I'm going to start Reconstructing Amelia.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I read Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls by David Sedaris. I know a lot of people think his books are great but :headscratch I just don't get them I guess.

I'm about halfway through The Worlds Strongest Librarian and really enjoying it. Really interesting insight into what it's like to have Tourettes and I'm loving all the comments about various books the author read and loved growing up.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

mellen, I don't get Sedaris either. I think I liked one book and then was meh with others and now I stopped reading them

I liked Strongest Librarian for the same reason you said. I have to admit skimming a lot of the Mormon stuff...

I'm in a rut. I started NOS4A2 and couldn't get into it. It's due and I need to bring it back. I have the latest Hosseini but it's due on Fri and I won't have time to finish it and there's a gazillion holds for it. It's too hot to read. I did read The Tragedy Paper over the w/e which was ok.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I'm not a Sedaris fan either, but I've only listened to a couple of his works on audiobook.

I'm a couple hundred pages into "A Dance with Dragons" by George R. R. Martin (5th book). That's less than 25%, so I'll be working on it for a while.

Almost done listening to "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets."
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I love Sedaris, but I started out with audiobooks and I love his voice and he made my commute actually enjoyable. I wonder if I had started with paper books if I'd feel the same way.

I also often think if I had read Eat, Pray, Love on the page I would have been super annoyed by it, but I liked the author's voice and so some of the smarminess (?) I could ignore.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished He's Gone by Deb Caletti just now. Great book. It's psychological suspense, and it makes one think about relationships.

Next up is The Red House by Mark Haddon. I've had this on my list for a while and just found it sitting there on the shelf at the library. I hope it's good.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I just placed a hold for "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand on audiobook. It's the current book club selection. One of the others has already read it and gave it good reviews.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Ok, it's a no on the Mark Haddon book. 10% in and I couldn't handle the disjointed writing.

So I also have "The House at Tyneford" by Natasha Solomons. "It's the spring of 1938 and no longer safe to be a Jew in Vienna. Nineteen-year-old Elise is forced to leave her glittering life of parties and champagne to become a parlour maid in England...When the maters of Tyneford's young son, Kit, returns home, he and Elise strike up an unlikely upstairs-downstairs friendship that will transform Tyneford--and Elise--forever.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I'm 50 pgs into the new Hosseini book And the Mountains Echoed and I'm loving it. So much so, I will take the hit for late fees because it's due tomorrow. :wink:
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Rowan, what did you end up thinking of Sisterland?

I finished The Worlds Strongest Librarian. I really liked it but, like Rowan, glossed over a lot of the Morman/religion stuff.

Next up is probably Instructions for a Heatwave.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

IMO, Sisterland didn't really hold a candle to Prep or American Wife. I finished it feeling meh. Not to discourage you....
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Rowan wrote:IMO, Sisterland didn't really hold a candle to Prep or American Wife. I finished it feeling meh. Not to discourage you....
That helps - I was already on the fence anyway. Now I know not to bother putting a hold on it.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I finished And the Mountains Echoed last night. I liked it although felt the ending was weak/rushed. I would recommend it.

Next up: Life After Life by Kate Atkinson.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I started The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani instead of Instructions for a Heatwave since it's due back first. I think this book was written for middle school kids but it's really quite good. It's about kids that are in training to be in fairy tales. I'm about 150 pages in and hooked.