October! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

October! What are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

I have Doctor Sleep in my grubby little hands but it's so darn LONG! I should read it now because if I give it back I won't see it again for 6 months.
Blush
TH Master

Re: October! What are you reading?

Post by Blush »

I'm halfway through The Ocean at the End of the Lane. I'm pretty sure I will be finished today. It's very different from what I normally read but it's compelling.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I'm reading "Your Retirement Income Blueprint". It's about how to plan your withdrawals during retirement.

I also finally finished the audiobook of Room I started like 2 years ago, and started a new one - "The Lonely Polygamist". So far it's pretty good.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Spudd I *loved* The Lonely Polygamist.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane and I really enjoyed it. For some reason it is making me want to re-read The Bridge to Terabithia and A Wrinkle in Time.

Next up is The Child Who, by Simon Lelic. It is British psychological crime/suspense.

I need to get to the library soon as this is my last library book.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Really Blush? I loved both of those books! Maybe I should look into that Gaiman book even though I binned it as "too fantasy" for me.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Rowan, I liked Ocean too and Gaiman is usually too out there for me.

I'm still slogging through Five Days at Memorial. So many tedious details in this book. I just picked up Fangirl and The Maid's Version from the library. Also trying to decide if going to the annual library book blow out sale is a good thing or a bad thing. I'm not sure I have anywhere to stack the books I would come home with!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Child Who. It was good enough that I will seek out more of Simon Lelic's books.

Now I have The Dark Places by Gillian Flynn.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Blush, I'm reading Dark Places and I'm loving it. Well, as much as you can "love" a book that depressing. It's just been super slow reading for me during this trip, so it's taking forever.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Never ended up starting Doctor Sleep and needed to return it this weekend.

I'm reading the latest Chelsea Cain - Let Me Go. Series about a female serial killer.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

I'm still trying to finish The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. Someday I will finish this book.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

I finished the book. It was decent, not the best book ever.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finally finished Five Days at Memorial. So depressing. Good, but depressing. Not sure what I'm reading next. I started Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell but I'm not sure I'm actually in the mood to read it.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished Dark Places. I thought it was fucking brilliant. I never, ever had a hint of what the resolution to the crimes would be. The characters felt real. There were no loose ends. Gone, Girl my ass, THIS is her masterpiece. The only reason I'm not giving it 5 stars is that it's so utterly depressing. Sometimes I had to put it down because I couldn't believe so many bad things were happening to the same family. But it's excellent. Go read it.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Dark Places and I did enjoy it. Now I have The Interestings, which I've heard mixed reviews on.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I really liked The Interestings but I think mellen(?) really didn't like it. Which is strange because usually we're pretty similar in our tastes.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Rowan wrote:I really liked The Interestings but I think mellen(?) really didn't like it. Which is strange because usually we're pretty similar in our tastes.

Yeah, I wasn't a fan. Should have been called The Not Interestings.

I liked Dark Places as well though I thought it did drag just a bit at the end. Sharp Objects is my favorite book by Gillian Flynn. I think Sharp Object and Dark Places are both better than Gone Girl.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I started two books:

Slimed: The oral history of Nickelodean. It's snippets of interviews with kids of the original shows like The Adventures of Pete and Pete, Hey Dude, You Can't Do That On Television, etc. Pretty interesting read so far.

I also started Tampa by Alissa Nutting at lunch today. This is a strange book. I read a couple of good reviews on it months ago and added it to my hold list and forgot about it. Anyway, it's about a 26 year old female teacher that is sexually obsessed with 14 year old boys. I'm about halfway in and kind of :paranoid about it.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I read The Circle by Dave Eggers yesterday. It's basically the story of a Google type company that's "evil". It's certainly written the extreme but thought provoking. Unfortunately I thought the ending was rushed but overall I enjoyed it. I'm not a Facebook person so I'm not sure how a FB fan would feel....

Not sure what's next....I should really count all the job hunting books I've been reading. :rain
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Rowan wrote:I read The Circle by Dave Eggers yesterday. It's basically the story of a Google type company that's "evil". It's certainly written the extreme but thought provoking. Unfortunately I thought the ending was rushed but overall I enjoyed it. I'm not a Facebook person so I'm not sure how a FB fan would feel....
I just read something on Jezebel recently about this book. Apparently he may have plagiarized it...? http://je zebel.com/is-dave-eg gers-new-novel-a-ripoff-of-a-female-writers-1428445249 (2 spaces)

:hug Have you found anything that looks appealing, new-job-wise?

I finished A Dance With Dragons by George R. R. Martin and am finally caught up with that series. It was good, but I want more Bran and Arya chapters, and WTF has been happening at the Vale all this time?