The Husband's Secret - question/spoiler

Moderator: Malanee

Sílvia
Trophy Wife

The Husband's Secret - question/spoiler

Post by Sílvia »

So I'm confused by the ending. Where it says John Paul will never know it was an aneurysm that killed Janie. So she had an aneurysm that burst at the *exact* moment that JP was trying to strangle her? Isn't that too much of a coincidence? Or does she mean it burst BECAUSE he was trying to strangle her? In that case, wouldn't he still have been the murderer?
Blush
TH Master

Re: The Husband's Secret - question/spoiler

Post by Blush »

Sílvia wrote:So I'm confused by the ending. Where it says John Paul will never know it was an aneurysm that killed Janie. So she had an aneurysm that burst at the *exact* moment that JP was trying to strangle her? Isn't that too much of a coincidence? Or does she mean it burst BECAUSE he was trying to strangle her? In that case, wouldn't he still have been the murderer?
I just finished the book this morning. I went back to the description of her death, from her point of view (p 291 in the hard cover). It says that "she saw a shift, a shocked recognition, and she felt a loosening of hands, but there was something else happening; something very wrong and unfamiliar was happening to her body..."

So I think the strangling didn't kill her; it just hurt. But yes, very coincidental.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Hm, I don't think I'd checked that part. Thanks! And geez, isn't that a tad too contrived?
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I just finished this book on the bus home from work today. I kind of thought the whole ending was rather contrived, TBH. It was an entertaining enough read (and very quick), but I overall found it pretty lacking in substance.