May! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

May! What are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

I need to get to the library ASAP -I've got nothing right now.
Spudd
TH Master

Re: May! What are you reading?

Post by Spudd »

I started the Stephanie Plum series, and I'm a little ways into book 2 right now. It's not great literature by any means, but it's entertaining enough.

I also read "the 4-hour work week" by Timothy Ferriss in the past few weeks. I have to say I enjoyed it. He makes it sound very doable. Not that I probably will do it. But still.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I'm about halfway through The Accident by Chris Pavone. It's good!
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I am loving The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion. Its about a genetics professor who is on the spectrum (but doesn't know it despite giving lectures on the subject) who is trying to find his perfect mate with a giant survey. I'm almost done it and hope to find the time to finish it today.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished The Accident by Chris Pavone. It was good but I liked his prior book a lot better.

Also read Chop Chop by Simon Wroe. It's kind of a mystery type book set among chefs in a London kitchen. Loved it, but it's a bit on the different side.

I think I'm going to start Flash Boys by Michael Lewis tonight.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I finished "The Secret History" by Donna Tartt. This was excellent, though all of the characters were rather despicable.

Just started "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running" by Haruki Murakami. It's sort of a memoir, I guess. So far so good. Different from what I've been reading lately.

I also just got "The Lonely Polygamist" by Bradley Udall on audiobook. It's 20 CDs! That's the longest one I've ever seen. Hope I can get through it before it's due back (haven't started yet but will this afternoon while driving to some appointments).
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Bugsy, The Lonely Polygamist is SO good. IDK how the audiobook is, as I read it, but I loved it!
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I think it was your recommendation that made me add it my list, actually! It sounds fantastic, so I can't wait to get into it.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished Someone by Alice McDermott. It was just okay.

Now I have The Hypnotist's Love Story by Liane Moriarty. Looking forward to it.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

The next book club choice is "The Goldfinch" by Donna Tartt. Mellenhead, it looks like you gave up on this one. Is that true? Anyone else read it? Apparently it won the Pulizter Prize for fiction. I just happened to have read her first novel, "The Secret History," which I did like, so I'm hopeful that this will also be good. I'm on 5 different waiting lists at the library for it.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Bugsy, I'm curious about it, too. I liked The Secret History, but couldn't get into her other novel, The Little Friend. Let us know if you decide to read it. Mellen and I usually have opposite tastes, so the fact that she gave up on it might be a good sign for me :giggle

I'm still reading The Cuckoo's Calling. I've had so little time to read in the middle of the day lately, and bedtime reading hasn't lasted more than 10-15 minutes before I pass out :angrywife
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Yep, I gave up on Goldfinch. I know everyone raves over her writing but it just doesn't do anything for me!

I'm about halfway through Flash Boys. It's good, but I have to admit all the talk about high frequency stock trading and some other stuff is going over my head.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Oh, I'll read it Silvia, since it's the next book club selection. I'll have to hang out on the waitlist for a while, though, and will definitely give updates here once I start reading it.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I just finished Astonish Me by Maggie Shipstead. I really enjoyed it - it's about ballet and I didn't know much about it. I liked this one better than her first: Seating Arrangements which had rave reviews and I thought was just ok.

Not sure what's next...
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished The Hypnotist's Love Story by Liane Moriarty. It was good; I like her writing.

I think next I should read Life After Life. It was on hold for me and I picked it up last weekend. I don't think it will be renewable because someone else will have it on hold.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Rowan, glad to hear your review of Astonish Me - I loved Seating Arrangments.

Finished Flash Boys - good read even if some of the information didn't make complete sense to me.

I started The Bees by Laline Paul last night - sounds bizarre but the writing is great so far:
The Handmaid’s Tale meets The Hunger Games in this brilliantly imagined debut set in an ancient culture where only the queen may breed and deformity means death.

Flora 717 is a sanitation worker, a member of the lowest caste in her orchard hive where work and sacrifice are the highest virtues and worship of the beloved Queen the only religion. But Flora is not like other bees. With circumstances threatening the hive’s survival, her curiosity is regarded as a dangerous flaw but her courage and strength are an asset. She is allowed to feed the newborns in the royal nursery and then to become a forager, flying alone and free to collect pollen. She also finds her way into the Queen’s inner sanctum, where she discovers mysteries about the hive that are both profound and ominous.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I have The Bees on my hold list. I'll be curious to hear what you think...
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished The Cuckoo's Calling, which was okay. I thought it could have used some editing. I'd also have liked to see how the detective got to some conclusions before the final confrontation with the murderer. You'd have to have a crystal ball to know what some of those clues meant. The writing was good, though. So were the main characters. I might read the next one.

Then I started One Day by David Nicholls, which I just saw has a TON of 1 and 2-star reviews on goodreads. Oh well. We'll see.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Yesterday I finished "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running," by Haruki Murakami. It was pretty good and definitely different from recent reads. I just downloaded his "1Q84," which my supervisor recommended.

I'm also on disc 3 of "The Lonely Polygamist" and am not really enjoying it so far. That may be because I've only been able to listen in short little snippets, though. I'm going to try getting the next few CDs transferred to mp3s so I can listen while transplanting flowers tomorrow, which may help me get into it more since that work will take several hours.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I read Love Life by Rob Lowe. It was ok and I will probably look up his first autobiography.

I started The Bat by Jo Nesbo. It's the first in the series but just was translated into English. So far, so good.