June! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

June! What are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

I finished Long Gone last night. It was fine...didn't hate it but probably wouldn't recommend it either.

I have The Shining Girls in my bag to start today.
Spudd
TH Master

Re: June! What are you reading?

Post by Spudd »

I'm reading "The King's Last Song" which is a historical fiction about Cambodia, incorporating one story from the 1100's and one from the 1990's. It's pretty good. Reading it to get some "flavour" since we'll be stopping in Cambodia on our vacation this winter.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished You Should Have Known by Jean Banff Korelitz and I really enjoyed it. Reviews that hated it said it was too detailed but I didn't find the detail annoying at all. It was listed as a Thriller but I'd say more psychological suspense.

Now I have the new Joshua Ferris book: To Rise Again at a Decent Hour
Paul O'Rourke is a man made of contradictions: he loves the world, but doesn't know how to live in it. He's a Luddite addicted to his iPhone, a dentist with a nicotine habit, a rabid Red Sox fan devastated by their victories, and an atheist not quite willing to let go of God. Then someone begins to impersonate Paul online, and he watches in horror as a website, a Facebook page, and a Twitter account are created in his name. What begins as an outrageous violation of his privacy soon becomes something more soul-frightening: the possibility that the online "Paul" might be a better version of the real thing. As Paul's quest to learn why his identity has been stolen deepens, he is forced to confront his troubled past and his uncertain future in a life disturbingly split between the real and the virtual. At once laugh-out-loud funny about the absurdities of the modern world, and indelibly profound about the eternal questions of the meaning of life, love and truth. TO RISE AGAIN AT A DECENT HOUR is a deeply moving and constantly surprising tour de force.
Last edited by Blush on Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I'm already about halfway through "Hood" by Emma Donoghue. It's really quite good, though sad. It's about a (mostly)-closeted lesbian couple, of which one of the women has just died from a car accident as the book begins. The other woman is left trying to cope with feeling as if she's a widow but only being able to acknowledge the depths of their relationship with a few people.

And I was just able to renew "The Lonely Polygamist" on CD. The characters are becoming a bit more endearing to me, so that's a nice thing.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finished The Mystery of Mercy Close by Marian Keyes. It was terrible. Really, really weak plot. The so-called mystery was laughable. I only finished it because it was a very easy read and it made me laugh occasionally. But I really think the author should have made up her mind about writing a mystery OR a book about the protagonist's depression. Not both. It just drags and drags. Ugh. Note to self: if you don't like the first 50 pages of a book, there's a 99% chance you won't like the rest of it! Accept that. And you know what's funny? I finished the book at a café yesterday and immediately lost it. I didn't have it when I got home. Which would be perfectly fine if I hadn't lost a bookmark with Leo's picture in it along with the book. I have others, but I'd still like that one back. So today I'm gonna retrace my steps and see if I can find it. And I'm really glad I'd finished it. Can you imagine losing a 582-page book you don't even like when you're 10 pages from the end? That would have been infuriating.

Then I started Paper Towns by John Green. I've already read The Fault in Our Stars but I'm curious enough to read one more of his books. I wanna know what the big deal is with this guy.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Silvia, I hope you find the bookmark! And please let us know what you think of Paper Towns. I'd be willing to give that a go as well after reading The Fault in Our Stars.

On the bus this morning I finished "Hood." It was quite good, but I sort of felt like it lost steam as it progressed. The ending was simultaneously abrupt and satisfying, which is odd.

Not sure what I'll pick up next.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Sil did you like The Fault in Our Stars? Everyone seems to love it and I was just kinda ho hum about it. I don't think I've read any of his other books.

I finished Sleep Donation by Karen Russell. The book was good, interesting concept but the ending SUCKED. It was rushed and abrupt.

I have Bittersweet and Bellweather Rhapsody from the library but I'm not really feeling either of them. I need to look up some good summer reads I think.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

mellenhead wrote:I finished Sleep Donation by Karen Russell. The book was good, interesting concept but the ending SUCKED. It was rushed and abrupt.
Aw man, really? That is disappointing to hear. The concept has me totally intrigued.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

Jon like the fault ok but he loved Paper Towns and An Abundance of Cathetines.

I'm going to read fault in our stars this weekend
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Mellen, I liked Fault, but I didn't love it. First, I think a book about kids with cancer has a huge commercial appeal, and I can practically see The dollar signs in The author's eyes as He had The idea. Second, those kids were so pedantic, especially The boy. Which 16-year-old talks like that? But I did fins The plot compelling, and I totally wanted to know how it would end. I like Paper Towns better so far. The kids are smart, but not unbelievably so. Please excuse my phone. It thinks I'm typing in Portuguese.

Found my book and bookmark!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I'm taking the Joshua Ferris book back to the library today. I read the first half and then started skimming. It was just a little too weird for my mood this week.

Not sure what's next, though the book I'm picking up is by Emily Giffin. It's probably on someone else's hold list so I should probably read it first.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Ha! And with perfect timing, I just got notification that "Insurgent" is waiting for me. I'll hopefully start that over the weekend.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

I'm reading Serena by Ron Rash. It's pretty good so far, but you can tell that it's setting up for some bad (as in upsetting) stuff, and I'm not sure I'm in the mood for that. Ah, well ...

Blush, I ordered the new Joshua Ferris book the other day. I loved his first two, so I've been looking forward to this one. Now I'm just hoping I'm not disappointed!
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I gave up on Joshua Ferris about 100 pages in. I realized I was skimming g more than I was reading. I started Remember Me Like This by Bret Anthony Johnston. Moving much faster than Ferris already.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I started and finished Bittersweet over the weekend. It was decent. Intersting story but the author just tried way to hard in places. Probably a good beach read.

I just started Astonish Me last night. It's decent so far.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I'm halfway through The One and Only by Emily Giffin and it's sort of painful to read. All the characters seem to be 2 dimensional stereotypes, and the main character's obsession with college football is compared to a religious experience. It's barf-worthy, but I'm going to finish it because I have a sick need to know what happens.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

Finished reading Serena, and it was sort of meh ... I mean, it was all right, but it was very predictable after the first third or so, and kind of tiresome. Not sure what's up next.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished the Emily Giffin and it was awful. Skin crawling awful.

Palate cleanser next: David and Goliath by Malcom Gladwell.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finished Paper Towns yesterday. It was ok. Again, as with Fault, I can see the appeal with teenagers. As for me, I suppose I'm too old to read John Green. I thought this one started out well, but the middle dragged and dragged, and the ending was anti-climactic and kind of silly. I still gave it 3 stars because I think the guy writes well and his characters are mostly interesting, but I don't care much for his plots.

Then I started Wild by Cheryl Strayed but only read the first page before I passed out. It was late. I'm thrilled to know both Bugsy and Annie have given it 5 stars!
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Sil, that book was so so good. I absolutely loved it. Hope you do too!

Thanks for the review of Paper Towns also.