July! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

July! What are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

I'm still working on Intent to Kill by James Grippando. I've found 2 typos already. How does that happen?
Blush
TH Master

Re: July! What are you reading?

Post by Blush »

I hate finding typos in books. Seriously, how many people read them before they go to print?

I'm enjoying The Rosie Project so far.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Finished Intent to Kill. It was fine. Outside of the typos.

I'm still whittling away at my book sale stash. Next up is Chasing the Dime by someone.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finished Wild - from Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed last week. It was pretty good, but I was more interested in the parts about her life before she went hiking than on the hike itself. I was a liiittle bored by all the geographical descriptions in that.

Then I started Faithful Place by Tana French. It's good so far, though it seems more of a family drama than a murder mystery (the genre it's supposed to be). Fine by me, I usually prefer family dramas to murder mysteries anyway!
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Stuck at the inlaws most of Saturday. Holed myself up in a guest bedroom and read.

The Amateurs - Marcus Sakey -- pretty good; I"ll have to look up other things by him
Live to Tell - Lisa Gardner -- I'm having to read her stuff out of order because I don't have the whole set but they're fine

Not sure what's next....
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished off Flash Boys over the weekend, which I enjoyed reasonably well. He's a good writer, he really has a knack for explaining how things work.

Then I needed a rest for my brain, so I started the 3rd Stephanie Plum book.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I burned out on the Hilary Clinton book. Just couldn't get in to it.

Started Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng last night. I'm liking it so far.

Of course this morning I got an email that like 6 holds came in so now I have to hurry up and finish this and My Salinger Year.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Rosie Project last night and really enjoyed it. While I was reading it I thought, "I can picture this as a movie". Sure enough, in the acknowledgements, the author mentions it started as a screenplay.

Now I have Independence Day by Richard Ford. I was sucked into a conversation with an elderly man at the library and he insisted I read it, so I though, "what the heck?". Now, though, I see it's a sequel and I have no interest in reading the first one, whatever that was. So we'll see.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished Everything I Never Told You. I liked it but the ending was kind of blah.

I'm about halfway through My Salinger Year. It's good, lots of name drops - Salinger (obviously), Judy Blume.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I finished "The Lonely Polygamist" by Brady Udall over the weekend. It was a bit weird since I listened to about 75% of it on audiobook and then physically read the rest of it, but overall I am really glad I stuck with it. Such a sad book...humorous at times, but overall just so sad.

I had gotten partway into the audiobook for "The Goldfinch," but the stupid digital version that came in first for me was only good for 7 days. :phbtt! Back to waiting for every version that the library carries. It was just starting to get really good too (just after Part 2 starts and he is in Vegas, for those who have read it)!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Independence Day. I have no idea why it won the Pullitzer.

Now I have Natchez Burning by Greg Iles. It's 791 pages long, so it better be as good as his books usually are!
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Last night both "White Teeth" by Zadie Smith and "The Husband's Secret" by Liane Moriarty became available off my digital books hold list. Of course. I've waited much longer for "White Teeth," so I started that this morning on the bus. I doubt I'll finish in time to start the other one before it's due back, but it only took about a month for that to come in anyway.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished My Salinger Year. It was ok - kind of flat.

Also read The Truth About Alice, which is a YA book about bullying. It was good and only around 180 pages so I got through it quickly.

Started Abroad by Katie Crouch last night. It's fiction, loosely based on the Amanda Knox situation. Irish girl goes to Italy for a semester - it's good so far.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished Faithful Place by Tana French. It was pretty good. Depressing, but good. I loved her writing, her characters, the plot moved fast enough to keep me from yawning. But as I said before, to me it seemed more like a family drama than a mystery. It was just not very mysterious! The Irish slang drove me insane, but that's obviously not the book's fault. If I ever read anything else by her, I'll read it in Portuguese. I'm fine with looking up a word now and then, but this book had me looking online several times every time I picked it up! The terms were so typically Irish that my phone dictionary didn't even have them :angrywife

Then I started Reconstructing Amelia. I'm only on page 60, but I'm hooked.

I'm glad the world cup is over. I can resume my regular reading schedule now.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I read Chasing the Dime by Michael Connelly yesterday at the rink. It was fine.

We need to go to the library for books for M. Maybe I'll pick up something for me too. Book fair books are just....meh.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I've been on an investment books tear lately. I read 2 by Mebane Faber (both were quite short) - Shareholder Yield and Global Value. I wouldn't particularly recommend either of them.

Now I'm starting into "The 4 Pillars of Investing". Once I finish this I need to go back to fiction!
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished Abroad by Katie Crouch - really liked it.

Read Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healy over the weekend. I wanted to like it more than I did. It's about a women with dementia trying to find her friend and in the process figures out what happened to her sister that went missing 70 years ago. The constant repeating of things in the book for the character with dementia really started to annoy me about halfway in.

Started Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King last night.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished the Greg Iles book. It was good but there were still some loose ends. Kind of annoying.

Now I have Calling me Home by Julie Kibler.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished Reconstructing Amelia. Except for a few eye-rolling, soap opera-y details in the final resolution, I loved it. I was hooked from the first page and it was kind of unfortunate that it was the book I took on vacation because I had very little time to read it! I actually finished it on our way back to the airport, and I never had a long stretch of time to read it, sadly. Anyway, for once I agree with the hype.

Then I started Perfect by Rachel Joyce. I don't like it, but apparently I don't dislike it enough to give it up. I was going to give it the 100 minus your age rule last night, but then I ended up reading up to page 98. Ugh. I hate when that happens. You know, when you fear you might miss out on something if you stop reading, yet you're not enjoying it much? Yeah.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I'm about halfway through Mr. Mercedes. It's decent but not anything spectacular.

I also read Shift by Hugh Howey in about 2 days - did anyone else read Wool? This is the prequel. I realized I could read it for free from the Kindle lending library and couldn't put it down. Now I'm anxiously waiting for Aug 1 so I can "check out" the last book in the series - Dust.