August! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Re: August! What are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

Really liked The Divorce Papers! Curious what you think of it.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished Siege and Storm. It was ok - lots of repetitive stuff from the first book. I'll probably pick up the third and final book since since it's already out and they are quick reads.

Started The Queen of the Tearling yesterday. It's decent so far, though some of the writing is annoying me. I'm hoping the action picks up soon - The new Queen (who was in hiding her whole life) has been on horseback trying to get to the castle for almost 150 pages.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Tonight I finished The Girls of August and it was fine. A little cheesy.

I'm already 15% of the way into The Divorce Papers and I am really enjoying it.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished The Queen of Tearling. I wanted to love it but didn't.

Also finished Sky on Fire, the 2nd book in the Monument 14 trilogy. It was pretty decent and a quick read.

Last night I started The Book of Life, the 3rd book in the All Souls Trilogy. So far so good, though I'm having trouble remembering some of the people that she hasn't written about since the 1st book.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished The Divorce Papers. Loved it.

Now I have The Rehearsal by Eleanor Catton.
All the world's a stage—and nowhere is it that more true than at an all-girls high school, particularly one where a scandal has just erupted. When news spreads of a high school teacher's relationship with his underage student, participants and observers alike soon take part in an elaborate show of concern and dismay. But beneath the surface of the teenage girls' display, there simmers a new awareness of their own power. They obsessively examine the details of the affair with the curiosity, jealousy, and approbation native to any adolescent girl, under the watchful eye of their stern and enigmatic saxophone teacher, whose focus may not be as strictly on their upcoming recital as she implies
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finished The Girl You Left Behind. It was good, but not excellent. There are 2 story lines, one set in 1917 in France during German occupation in WW1. The other part is set in London in 2006. The WW1 part is much better, though obviously the 2 parts are linked. The 2006 part dragged and was kind of silly, imo. But I'd still recommend it.

Then I started The Truth about the Harry Quebert affair by Joël Dicker. It sucked me right in, but I'm only 50 pages in. I hope it keeps up.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Rehearsal. I admit that I skimmed quite a bit. I felt like it was trying too hard to be edgy and arty.

Will start a new thread for September!