October! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Re: October! What are you reading?

Post by Sílvia »

I finished Americanah. I didn't like it much. I don't understand the hype. I liked to learn something about life in Nigeria, but I thought the endless rants about racial issues in America got old after a while. I might have felt differently if I were either black or American or both, but since I'm neither I got easily bored. Yes, it is absurd and wrong and awful that the main character had to straighten her hair in order to get a decent job, and that her white boyfriend had to yell at the employee of a white beauty salon for her to get her eyebrows waxed, but the endless stories and dialogs and blog entries about race were tiring. I wish she had focused more on her life in Nigeria, but that's not what the book was mainly about. As I approached the end I started skimming and didn't even care if the couple would end up together or not. I just wanted it to be over. Oh well.

Then I started The Seven Sisters by Lucinda Riley. It's slow so far, but it's about to pick up. This woman is smart: she realized she has a huge readership in Brazil, so not only did she set this novel here (apparently it's also about the building of the Christ the redeemer statue in Rio), she also RELEASED this book here first. The Brazilian edition has been on the market for months while the US/UK ones aren't available until Nov 6th. Anyway, she writes trashy historical fiction that's usually fun. We'll see. I got this one for free from the publisher.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Silvia, have you seen the YouTube video of the guys up on top of Christ the Redeemer? Scary!

I just started "The Post-Birthday World" by Lionel Shriver. It's interesting. I can't decide if I like it yet or not.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

You mean on his head? I think I saw a picture. One day I should go to Rio... I've never been!

I liked The Post-birthday World. I mean, in that horrified way you "like" a novel by her.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Here's the link to the video. It scares the crap out of me!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxlKZereog0
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Holy shit!!!

And interesting, I could see that the statue is made of tiny triangles, as it's mentioned in this book I'm reading. Huh. Who knew.

Thanks!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Last night I finished Big Little Lies. I loved it. :)

Now I am reading Summer House with Swimming Pool by Herman Koch. I enjoyed The Dinner so I have high hopes.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Blush, I enjoyed The Dinner too so I'm curious to hear what you think of his latest.

I wasn't able to finish Silkworm before it had to go back. I was still under 100 pages and it was pretty slow. NOt sure if I will try to pick it up again.

I read Overwhelmed by Brigid Schulte (? too lazy to look up). I had high expectations and they were dashed. I like this kind of book for tips/tricks but there weren't many of those. I felt a slight undercurrent of husband bashing which I wasn't too crazy about.

I'm halfway through One Plus One by JoJo Moyes and I'm liking it so far.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Summer House with Swimming Pool. It was compelling, but not enjoyable in the usual sense of the word. I'm glad I read it, and it was a quick read because every time I put it down I was still wondering what was going on. It is also a good reminder that people are complicated creatures and nobody is 100% good.

Now I have The Little Friend by Donna Tartt. I also have The Vacationers but I think I can get both done by the time they are due on the 15th.