October! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

October! What are you reading?

Post by mellenhead »

Finished Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel. LOVED it and was so sad to finish it. Highly recommended.

Planning on starting Broken Monsters by Lauren Beukes next.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Re: October! What are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

Finally finished The Fever by Meg Abbott. It started out ok and then just petered out. Bummer.

I'm reading Landline by Rainbow Rowell. Loved her other books. This one is moving quickly.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished The House at Riverton by Kate Morton. The first half is super slow and I only kept reading because I love her writing, even if at that point it didn't seem to be leading anywhere. Then it picked up. I loved it. I loved her Forgotten Garden and I can't wait to read her other novels. I'm sorry there are only 2 others.

Don't know what's next. Probably Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty. My other new favorite Aussie.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Last Letter from you Lover by Jojo Moyes. I really enjoyed it.

Now on to Stony River by Tricia Dower.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I finished Landline by Rainbow Rowell. I love her. This wasn't my favorite of hers but definitely worth reading. Nice and light!

I started Friendship by Emily Gould. Not sure how I feel about it but it's easy so that fits for me right now.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I just finished "Becoming Odyssa" by Jennifer Pharr Davis. It was good, but it didn't seem nearly as quality as "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed. Otherwise they are pretty similar novels, and I remain envious of people who have taken the time to have life experiences like that.

Not sure what's next just yet.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished Broken Monsters by Lauren Beukes - it was good. Horror/mystery, good writing.

I skim read Normally This would be a cause for concern: Tales of Calamity and unrelenting Awkwardness by Danielle Fishel. Eh. I loved Boy Meets World, thought might have some interesting hollywood tales but I think her life has been so normal there isn't really anything interesting to tell.

I also read Horrorstor by Grady Hendrix. HIGHLY recommend it. It's about a knockoff haunted Ikea store but the book is written like a (Ikea) catalog, floor maps, explanations of furniture that get to be more like torture devices toward the end. Very cool execution.

http://smile.amazon.com/Horrorstor-A-No ... horrorstor

Anyone have recommendations for scary/horror books? Feels like a good time of year for one.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Finished Friendship. Meh. Started The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith (JK Rowling) and so far so good. I've been squeaking 30 min on the bike in the AM and reading. I guess its one way to squeeze in exercise and reading!

Mellen, I remember liking Joe Hill's books (Stephen King's son). It's been awhile since I read horror but I used to love it. I used to love Dean Koontz prior to Odd Thomas series.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

The shining is my favorite Thriller
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I think you've read it already, but "Dark Places" by Gillian Flynn is one of the creepiest books I've read in a while.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I wouldn't consider Dark Places scary. Creepy, yes, depressing, definitely. And an excellent read. But scary? :headscratch

I finished Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty. Lots of fun, as usual. It reminded me of Desperate Housewives. I loved Desperate Housewives.

Then I started Americanah by that Nigerian woman whose name I can't pronounce. Or spell. It's interesting enough so far, but not super gripping. I'm on page 100 or so.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I have a hard time finding books that actually scare/freak me out.

I read the Miniaturist by Jessie Burton. It was ok - I'm not getting all the hype that was around this book when it came out.

Also finished Rooms by Lauren Oliver. It was pretty good - the story is mostly told from the perspective of two ghosts living in the house.

I think Stone Mattress is up next.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Yeah, definitely not scary but certainly creepy. I felt haunted by that book while reading and for a few days after.

I am a wuss when it comes to scary/horror things, so that's the best I can do!
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Bugsy I felt that way about Sharp Objects. Dark Places meandered a little bit too much for me.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished Stony River. It was promising but not satisfying.

Now I have Sheltering Rain by Jojo Moyes.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

On my ride to work this morning I finished the audiobook of "101 Theory Drive: The Discovery of Memory" by Terry McDermott. It was a bit over my head at times but really interesting overall. Glad I gave it a try.

And then I started "Zen and the Art of Running: The Path to Making Peace with Your Pace" by Larry Shapiro, who is actually a philosophy professor here at my university. The first section is about motivation and training your brain to overcome the internal barriers that we all have (like "It's too cold" or "I'm tired" or whatever). I'd waited for this for ages and am really glad it came in off the hold list now. It's good timing before my upcoming race.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I just read "The Best of Me" by Nicholas Sparks. OMG, it was awful. So cheesy.

I have to find something with quality to cleanse my palate after that.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Sheltering Rain by Jojo Moyes, and it was good, but not as good as her other books.

Now I have Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty. So far I'm hooked!
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

I recently finished Pale Fire by Nabokov. It was exquisite. I really loved it, though it is kind of strange.

Now I'm sort of reading Dissolution by C.J. Sansom. It's the first of a series of murder mysteries set in Henry VIII's England. Have you read them, Mellen?
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Bev, I haven't read them but I'll look them up. I get irritated here and there about fictional history novels but some are really good and worth the read.

I read Stone Mattress by Margaret Atwood. This is a collection of short stories. I only liked 2 of the 9 stories.

Also read Hand to Mouth: Living in Bootstrap America by Linda Tirado - it was decent but very repetitive.

I just started Smoke Gets in Your Eyes & Other Lessons from the Crematory by Caitlin Doughty. It's good so far - I follow her on Facebook under the The Order of the Good Death and she does "Ask a Mortician" videos on youtube.