November! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Re: November! What are you reading?

Post by Sílvia »

I read In the Bleak Midwinter, which was satisfying enough. I might read the next one in the series.

Then I read Eleanor & Park. I really enjoyed it. It was much better than I expected. I expected some pretentious dialog like in The Fault in Our Stars, but was pleasantly surprised not to find it. Eleanor and Park sounded real. I loved all the music talk. It helps that I was also 16 in 1986! I thought I'd feel too old and cynical reading this, but I didn't. I could relate to some of Park's mom's concerns, but I guess that's not surprising :lol

Not sure what's next. Leaning towards The Paying Guests (is that it?) by Sarah Waters.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I thought I'd feel too old and cynical reading this, but I didn't.
Me, too!

I just finished Frog Music by Emma Donaghue. It was different, and interesting, but I wouldn't put it in my list of top books for this year or anything.

Now I have "Every Secret Thing" by Emma Cole.
Moving between fast-paced modern-day London and Canada to the dangerous, double-crossing streets of war-time Lisbon, comes this thrilling mystery and intriguing love story from a brilliant new voice.
Well, it was written 8 years ago, so not quite so new. We'll see.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I finished "Wool" by Hugh Howey--or, more specifically, the "Omnibus" version, which is actually 5 individual books published together. I liked it! It kept me intrigued most of the time and was a different take on a dystopian future.

Then I downloaded "One Plus One" by Jojo Moyes but haven't started it just yet. That'll probably happen tonight.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Finished Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty. Quick read. It was fine but again not my favorite.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished "The Post-Birthday World". It started off really good, but it kind of trailed off towards the end and I wasn't too thrilled with the ending. I gave it 4 stars nonetheless, because I was really digging it most of the time.

Then I had a quick read of a freebie kindle book called "The Minimalist Budget". Didn't really learn anything new, but that's OK.

Now I just started "The Luminaries" by Eleanor someone... It's a 2013 book but she writes as though she were Jane Austen. It's a little odd. Anyway, I'm only a few pages in so it's too early to give any real impressions yet.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Spudd, I thought "The Post-Birthday World" was depressing, but very good. But all of her books are like that.

I've also considered The Luminaries because of the hype, but I'm not sure it's my thing. Let us know how it went.

I'm sorry to report The Paying Guests didn't pass the kindle sample test. I found it really dull. Lots of people on goodreads were saying there was an amazing plot twist on page 300 or so. What? I'm sorry, that's just not good enough. Here's a tip to all writers out there: if you think you have a good story to tell, please start doing so by page 10. This one had pages and pages of house cleaning descriptions. If I wanted to be bored by house cleaning, I'd do some, not read about it. I'm disappointed because Sarah Waters is such a highly respected writer, but I'm coming to the conclusion that I don't like her work. I loved The Little Stranger, but apparently it's considered different from her other books and a minor work. I tried Night Watch and abandoned it halfway through. I downloaded a sample of Fingersmith but couldn't get past the Dickensian language. And now this. Oh well.

Then I started Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng. I'm loving it. One of the best this year.