December! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Re: December! What are you reading?

Post by Sílvia »

Finished The Last Anniversary. It took me 150-170 pages to get into it and I only persisted because I liked all her other books. It did get good eventually. If you suspend disbelief. There are several wtf moments in the book, and it was my least favorite of her books. But those pages did start turning faster after I was about halfway through.

Not sure what's next. I have the sample of The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry, so I'll give it a try.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Accidents of Marriage on the plane and gave it to my mom. I would recommend it.

Now I have Closed Doors by Lisa O'Donnell.

'There are no strangers in Rothesay, Michael. Everyone knows who you are and always will. It's a blessing but it's also a curse.' Eleven-year-old Michael Murray is the best at two things: keepy-uppies and keeping secrets. His family think he's too young to hear grown-up stuff, but he listens at doors; it's the only way to find out anything. And Michael's heard a secret, one that might explain the bruises on his mother's face. When the whispers at home and on the street become too loud to ignore, Michael begins to wonder if there is an even bigger secret he doesn't know about. Scared of what might happen if anyone finds out, and desperate for life to return to normal, Michael sets out to piece together the truth. But he also has to prepare for the upcoming talent show, keep an eye out for Dirty Alice, his arch-nemesis from down the street, and avoid eating Granny's watery stew. Closed Doors is the startling new novel from the acclaimed author of The Death of Bees. It is a vivid evocation of the fears and freedoms of childhood in the 1980s and a powerful tale of love, the loss of innocence and the importance of family in difficult times.
Should be quick.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I'm reading City of Bones by Michael Connelly. I'm liking it. I have Jennifer Weiner's newest up next (I started the first few pages last night when I didn't have City of Bones). Hopefully I can get some reading in tomorrow/this weekend.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I haven't had much time to read lately and it's making me grouchy. However, I just hit the library yesterday and got:

The Bird Box by Josh Malerman
The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters
To Rise Again at a Decent Hour by Joshua Ferris (I think Beverly liked this one)

I think I'm going to start The Bird Box today.