December! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

December! What are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

I started "But In the City Someone Would Hear Me Scream". Not sure I'm liking it and will continue....
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Re: December! What are you reading?

Post by mellenhead »

Finished The Heart Does Not Grow Back by Fred Venturini. It was good and an interesting concept.

Also read Reunion by Hannah Pittard - Loved it

I'm just about done with All my Puny Sorrows by Miriam Toews. It's about sisters - one that wants to commit suicide and the other that wants her to stay alive. It's terribly sad but I love the writing. After this I'm reading Even White Trash Zombies get the Blues. I need something light.

Editing:

Finished All My Puny Sorrows. LOVED it, beautiful writing, it was so depressing.

Also finished Even White Trash Zombies get the Blues. It was funny, light and mindless

Next up is Broken Monsters.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Today I finished "Every Secret Thing" by Emma Cole.

Now I have The Arsonist by Sue Miller. Hopefully I will have it finished by Saturday.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Last night I finished "One Plus One" by JoJo Moyes. It was pretty good--it's no "Me Before You," but it was a nice read.

Then this morning on the commute I started "Eleanor and Park." There was so much buzz about this in last month's thread that I had to see what it's about. I'm only a few chapters in, but so far so good.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Currently reading The Vacationers. Haven't had good blocks of time to read which makes me irritable but I should be able to read tonight at hockey.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished Everything I Never Told You. The writing was excellent, but there were several WTF moments that made me like it less. It's hard to say anything without spoiling. But yeah, if you're into family dramas, go for it.

Now I'm reading Station Eleven and I'm loving it. It started out excellent, then after 50 pages or so it started feeling disjointed for a few chapters, but now it's all coming together most brilliantly. I'm 100 pages from the end and I hope she keeps up the excellent work.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Sil, I really enjoyed Station Eleven.

I finished up Laughing Monsters. Eh. Not really a fan. I'm in a weird reading rut right now.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

WTF spammers!

Just bumping. Started the new Emily Giffin. Abandoned. Already bored and only 30 pp in.

Not sure what is next on the pile.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Arsonist before we left Toronto. It's a library book and I hope it's okay in the car! It was okay. Didn't really jolt any emotions.

Then I read Belong to me by Maria de los Santos. I will have to double check that author. It was fantastic.

Then today I finished Summer without You. It was fine for a beach read but no more. The dialogue was awful. I can't remember the author -- someone British -- but she had Americans saying "torch" for flashlight etc. Blech.

Some cheesy mystery next. I'm leaving as many books here as possible.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I was like 20% into The Luminaries and then my kindle flew off the top deck of the ship in a gust of wind and broke. Soo, I switched to The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. So far it's a pretty cheesy beach read but entertaining. It's a breath of fresh air after the damn Luminaries with her 1800's style writing although she wrote it in 2013.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh Spudd, that stinks. I wish I could loan you mine. Can I mail it to the ship?
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Blush, I read Belong to Me a few years ago and loved it too!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

OMG I started an old James Patterson book today called Hide and Seek and it is AWFUL. I have it because it's a "throwaway" and I can leave it here, but man. I think I got it from a coworker years ago.

I will finish it but yeesh.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Nooooo indeed, Spudd! What a tragedy. I'm sorry.

I finished Station Eleven and loved it. Guys, go read it. Both me and Mellen loved it. Do you realize how rare that is? :lol

Then I read Miracle in the Andes by Nando Parrado and loved it too. It's about that plane that crashed in the Andes with a Uruguayan rugby team in 1972. It's the same story from that previous book and movie, but this time told by one of the survivors. It's fantastic.

Next it's probably The Last Anniversary by Liane Moriarty.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

It's not THAT bad, I have the kindle app on my ipad so I'm just reading on there. And my kindle was really old so I'm sort of glad to have an excuse to get a new one.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Sil, thanks for the recommendation for Miracle in the Andes! I just went an ordered that for Jeff for Christmas. He really liked the other book (I think it's call Alive) so I think he'll like this one too. Any excuse to buy a non-book reader a book they may like!

I read Asylum by Madeleine Roux. It was a rip off of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children with the weird photos mixed it. Story was so so.

I'm reading the 3rd book in the White Trash Zombie series now. It's totally mindless and fun.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Syl, I might look into that book too. Funny is that movie was the first S and I watched when we started dating. We made out through most of it....kinda like Seinfeld and Schindlers List. :shock:
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Just started Keep Quiet by Lisa Scottlione. I feel like I've read this before...although my book journal doesn't have it listed.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Mellen, I hope he likes it. You should read it too. The other one's called Alive - The Story of the Andes Survivors. It's not on kindle in English or Portuguese :cuss

I started The Last Anniversary by Liane Moriarty, but so far it's failing to deliver. Maybe because my previous book was so emotional. Oh well, we'll see.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I went to the book exchange yesterday and picked up a Cathy Kelly book called Homecoming. I just finished it now and can take it back to the exchange. I have one more book with me: Accidents of Marriage by Randy Susan Meyers. I can start it later and still probably have some left to read at the airport. But I am leaving three of my own behind.