January! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

January! What are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

I started Jennifer Weiner's latest. I forget the name. I finished City of Bones by Michael Connelly last night and liked it! I will definitely look into more from him. Not sure if I'll be able to read them in the order as my library doesn't have everything.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Re: January! What are you reading?

Post by Sílvia »

I'm reading The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry. I'm 70% done and so far it's 3 stars. Trying too hard to be cutesy.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished Closed Doors by Lisa O'Donnell. It was pretty good; told from the point of view of a 12 year old boy on a remote island in Scotland. I will take it back to the library this afternoon; heading in as soon as R wakes up.

I will pick up a hold: Falling Together by Marisa de los Santos, and whatever else I can find. I also have My boyfriend barfed in my handbag ... and other things you can't ask Martha by Jolie Kerr. But it's a cleaning book, so I don't know if it counts.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Every book counts!

I finish Bird Box. Different but good.

I'm a few chapters into The Paying Guests. Not sure how much I like it yet.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

My boyfriend barred in my handbag was very informative and funny. I would recommend it.

Now I have Falling Together by Marisa de los Santos.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I finished the Jennifer Weiner which I didn't hate. I was happy she didn't focus on a poor unhappy overweight woman again as she always does.

I'm reading The Hypnotist's Love Story by Liane Moriarty which I'm really liking. Hope I have some time at hockey to read some!
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Glad to know about Jennifer Weiner, Ro. I think I stopped reading her books because I was tired of her ever-present overweight female character. I wish she'd write about a thin male, for a change. Also, The Hypnotist's... wasn't my favorite of Liane's books, but the stalker in it was definitely one of my favorite characters.

I finished A.J. Fikry. Didn't love it. It was entertaining enough, but she was trying way too hard to be cute and funny and to please bookish people. I'm too old and cynical for that. Plus there was a precocious (sp?) 6-year-old kid who was kind of annoying. I happen to have a very smart 6-year-old at home. He wouldn't turn to a writer and say "your books seem good, but I suppose I'm not your target audience." Haha.

Now I'm reading Little Face by Sophie Hannah. The premise is interesting: a new mom says her 2-week-old baby has been swapped for another baby. The dad says the woman's crazy and the baby's their daughter. I wonder how the author will get herself out of that mess. I hope the resolution won't make me throw the kindle at a wall.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Syl, several people here didn't like the new Jennifer Weiner so proceed with caution.

Didn't get to read much at hockey. Why am I so popular? 8)
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I'm about 1/3 through "Bad Feminist" by Roxane Gay. So far it's pretty fantastic, and I'm also learning of other books that sound interesting. Win-win!
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished The Paying Guest by Sarah Waters. Loved it. Definitely a slow burn but it's worth it.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Falling Together by Marisa de los Santos was great. I love the way she writes.

Then today I read How to be Parisian wherever you are by Anne Berest, Audrey Diwan, Caroline de Maigret , and Sophie Mas. It was partly amusing and partly horrific.

Now I have The Honey Queen by Cathy Kelly.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Read a Map of Betrayal - it's about a man who almost accidentally becomes a Chinese spy and ends up living in America and starting another family. Story was good but the writing was so clunky at times.

Just started Golden Son by Pierce Brown today. It's the 2nd book in the Red Rising Trilogy.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Mellenhead, Jason read the first of that trilogy and just started the second. He's telling me that I'd enjoy the series; what do you think of it?
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

It's good! I think Red Rising (the first one) was definitely one if those good fly under radar books when it came out. Didn't get the attention it deserved.

You liked Wool, right? I think you would like it!
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I'm reading Station Eleven right now. It took a bit to get into but I'm liking it. Almost done.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Thanks, Mellenhead. I did like Wool quite a lot, but in general I'm growing weary of futuristic/dystopian themes too. Maybe I'll give it a try sometime this year.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Bugsy wrote:Thanks, Mellenhead. I did like Wool quite a lot, but in general I'm growing weary of futuristic/dystopian themes too. Maybe I'll give it a try sometime this year.
I agree. I am as well - and there have been soooo many bad ones. You've got to be in the mood to read those types of books anymore, I think.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

in general I'm growing weary of futuristic/dystopian themes too
Me three! This used to be my favorite and they are just overdone and too much crap. I hesitated with Station Eleven but all the reviews said "it was worth it" and "it was different than the others". I also think mellen liked it so really that's enough for me. :)
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished Little Face. I was right, the ending sucked. Too bad, I couldn't put it down for a while there.

Then I started All The Light We Cannot See. I'm sorry to say it's not working for me. Weird structure, time changes from 1944 to 1934, then 1940, then 1944 again... it's annoying. Super short chapters. Verrrry slow pace. But I've already read 180 pages, and someone on goodreads said it picks up after page 300, so I'll persevere.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

OMG, when a book "picks up after page 300" that's pretty depressing. I usually like my books to end after page 300.