January! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Re: January! What are you reading?

Post by Sílvia »

Me too, Spudd, me too. But I'd *just* read the sample of The Goldfinch and didn't like it (didn't even finish the sample) and I hate the idea that I'd dislike not one, but TWO recent huge hits. I just refuse to give up on a book that has 4.23 stars on goodreads.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Spudd wrote:OMG, when a book "picks up after page 300" that's pretty depressing. I usually like my books to end after page 300.

UGH, no doubt!

I finished The Honey Queen by Cathy Kelly this morning. It was typical of her writing; I think she wants to be the next Maeve Binchy. All her books have characters that have helped each other by the end. It is somewhat cheesy but sometimes I need that feeling of "we're all in this together".

I was going to start "The Why of Things" by Elizabeth Hartley Winthrop, but at the library the New Martin Short autobiography was in, and I can only have it for 2 weeks, so I will start that first. It's called "I must say ".
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Long weekend = lots of reading

I read The Art of Forgetting and Tempting Fate. Both were fine. Not sure what's next on the pile.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Last night I finished "The Confession" by John Grisham. At the beginning, when I told Kenneth what it was about, he said "oh, and this plot twist will happen, right?". I was sure he was right, but nope. No twists. I wouldn't really recommend it. It was entertaining enough, and slightly unpredictable, but it came across as more of a moralizing piece in the end.

Then I started "The Hundred-Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared". So far it's pretty good, although the translation leaves something to be desired. I find whenever I read Swedish books that have been translated I notice the Swedish quirks in the English, and it distracts me from the story.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Ooh, I thought The Confession was very, very entertaining.

I hate translations, Spudd.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Last night I finished "I Must Say" by Martin Short. I really liked it and cried at the end. I skimmed over the parts where he lets his characters talk, but for the most part it was an excellent read.

Now I have "Yes Please" by Amy Poehler. I picked it up yesterday and it's a non-renewable 2-week loan so I thought I'd better start it.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished up Golden Son. It was really good. Fast paced action in the book, which of course ended in a cliffhanger.

I also listened to the Audio book of Argo. The narrators voice was SO annoying. The guy sounded like an arrogant jerk and it annoyed me the entire time.

Next up is Us by David Nicholls.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I started Summer House with Swimming Pool last night. So far so good.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Yes Please by Amy Poehler. It's very much in her voice. There were some interesting bits of wisdom in there.

Now I will start "The Why of Things" by Elizabeth Hartley Winthrop.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished All The Light We Cannot See. There *was* an interesting plot in there, it's a shame it was buried under all that disjointed structure and verbose writing. Note to self: if a book is ever, EVER described as having "beautiful prose", "rich descriptions", "evocative" something, you won't like it.

Now on to Labor Day by Joyce Maynard.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I decided not to finish The Luminaries for that reason, Sil. My kindle breaking on vacation was a sign!
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished Us by David Nicholls. Eh. All the characters were fairly whiny and unlikable.

Started The Bishop's Wife by Mette Ivie Harrison at lunch. So far so good.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Spudd, I read the plot summary of The Luminaries and thought it sounded boring (to me.) The beauty of getting older is you know beforehand what you won't like. Well, usually, at least.

Finished Labor Day. It was readable. Based on a stupid premise (woman brings home a bleeding stranger from the local Walmart-style store (!!)) and predictable. And overly tragic. But it was a short, easy read, so I finished it. 2 stars.

Then I started Little Mercies by Heather Gudenkauf. I loved the other book I've read by her (The Weight of Silence?) and the first 35 pages of this one are gripping, so that's promising. But I'm starting to wonder if she only ever writes about children in abuse/neglect situations. I'm curious to know what her other books are about.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished The Bishops Wife. It was ok. The last quarter of the book where she wrapped everything up was a little to neat and boring.

Planning to start The Book of Strange New Things by Michael Faber at lunch.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished "The Why of Things". I wasn't too impressed. I didn't care about the characters one way or another.

Now I have a thriller called "That Night" by Chevy Stevens. The premise is promising.

ETA: BLECH. Never mind. Gave up 30 pages in. HORRIBLE writing.

I have another thriller called Never Look Back by Clare Donaghue.

From Good Reads:
Three women have been found brutally murdered in south London, the victims only feet away from help during each sadistic attack. And the killer is getting braver . . .

Sarah Grainger is rapidly becoming too afraid to leave her house. Once an outgoing photographer, she knows that someone is watching her. A cryptic note brings everything into terrifying focus, but it’s the chilling phone calls that take the case to another level.

DI Mike Lockyer heads up the regional murder squad. With three bodies on his watch, and a killer growing in confidence, he frantically tries to find the link between these seemingly isolated incidents. What he discovers will not only test him professionally but will throw his personal life into turmoil too.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I finished "Bodies of Water" by T Greenwood. It's for book club, which meets on Saturday. It was fantastic. I really loved it and thankfully didn't get to the end while on the bus, because oh, did I cry. It's a beautiful story.

Not sure what's next. I may just wait for book club to see when we're meeting next and what is selected.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished Little Mercies. It was gripping, but not life-changing. It felt like a made-for-TV movie. A *good* made-for-TV movie. I was a little irritated by the fact that all her books seem to be about children who are victims of abuse or neglect. The first one I read was excellent. The second I'm like "Mm. That again." It seems like sort of a cheap trick. I wonder if she has a background in social work.

Then I read Bugsy's comment on Bodies of Water, checked it out on goodreads, downloaded a sample, got a really good feeling that it will be right up my alley, and bought it for 3 dollars! :clap (thanks, Bugsy!) Before kindle this process would have taken at least a month. And would have cost a lot more. And maybe I'd get the book and find the print was too small or something. I love my kindle.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

:wave Silvia. I hope you love it!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Never Look Back this morning. It kept me interested until the end.

Then at the library I picked up Landline by Rainbow Rowell. I'll read it next.